Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:00   #1
lakaiguy

Review: NcSTAR AQPTF Tactical Light

I thought I would do a little review and try to give back a little to this forum since I've taken so much from it.

I also wanted to do it because it seems that this item (more so the manufacturer) has got some negative feedback.

Today I received my NIB NcSTAR AQPTF Tactical Light which I purchased for $32 shipped! I wasn't expecting to be overly impressed with it considering the price but to my surprise it's actually a very solid piece.

The anodized aluminum finish matches the glocks complexion very well and mounts with zero slop whatsoever.

The 1 watt L.E.D. claims to only put out 35 Lumens according to NcSTAR which is probably right but those lumens must be efficient because this thing is bright.

Another feature that I like and haven't seen on other Lights is the beveled lens shroud which adds another level of defense in close quarters.

Anyhow here's some pictures I took with my blackberry so excuse the grainyness.

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Last edited by lakaiguy; 11-20-2009 at 01:08..
lakaiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:03   #2
lakaiguy

This was taken in a pitch black room and with a blackberry remember too

I like how the light has the blinding spot light effect and also the wide pattern for brightening up the whole room

Old 11-20-2009, 01:18   #3
bluejdixon
Ammo Hoarder

Looks Great! That shroud around the lens looks like it could hurt
Old 11-20-2009, 08:05   #4
bigdough666

Looks good, where you buy it?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:22   #5
Lurkus Maximus

What's the mount/dismount procedure? Would it be practical to mount at night for a bedside gun and remove for daily carry or is the process too involved?
Old 11-20-2009, 13:04   #6
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

They make their stuff in China. I own an NCstar pistol scope and have had several of their items in the past.

I wouldn't buy anything that is made in China today.

Not because of a lack of quality, but because they don't trade on the same level that we do. There's a reason a light made in the U.S. costs more.
Old 11-20-2009, 16:08   #7
lakaiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejdixon View Post
Looks Great! That shroud around the lens looks like it could hurt
Thanks, The shroud is basically a human hole punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdough666 View Post
Looks good, where you buy it?
pm sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkus Maximus View Post
What's the mount/dismount procedure? Would it be practical to mount at night for a bedside gun and remove for daily carry or is the process too involved?
The same as any standard picatinny rail system, slide on, slide off. The process is not very involved at all but I still wouldn't bother taking it on and off if I didn't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
They make their stuff in China. I own an NCstar pistol scope and have had several of their items in the past.

I wouldn't buy anything that is made in China today.

Not because of a lack of quality, but because they don't trade on the same level that we do. There's a reason a light made in the U.S. costs more.
That is a whole forum worth of debate all it's own.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38   #8
spin1078

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but I'm in a cheap mood and want a weapon light. The TLR-3 is about the best bang for the buck but since im not an LEO, I dont need one that bad.

I know I havent posted on this forum before but I figured now is as good a time as any. I have bought some really good flashlights from Ultrafire, as a backup to my Fenix (Surefire is next step). In addition, I want the ability to have a Weapon Mounted Light, but dont really need a WML. So I figured, put these together and it means Chinese WML.

So I go for this thing with a thought "Has anyone tried to upgrade the LED in this with an Ultrafire LED?" Ive seen Ultrafires mounted on guns before with flashlight mounts so I think the LED's could take it. I wouldn't expect this for an EDC for a LEO, as they will prob run into life-threatening situations much more often as I do.

I doubt I would have to call upon this constantly and need reliability. I just really want to buy some stuff and I'm of the state of mind that the glock is great engineering, don't mess with it. Maybe a slide catch extension or mag release extension, but no messing with the physics.

I was on the guide spring upgrade tip for a while but I think I may avoid the double spring and go for a metal single-spring upgrade. That's it for the mods so a WML is a good addition to the "Bling" factor.

So anyways, back to my question, has anyone tried to upgrade the LED? Anyone have pictures of the NCStar taken apart? I want to see the LED unit.

A lot of the Chinese LED's come from WhaFat industries. Like Spiderfire, Trustfire, Solarforce, Romisen, ect. They all seem to stem back to a few main manufacturers. Maybe the LED's are compatible. Ultrafires Q5 or wannabe R2 or R5 are really bright. They even have the different modes like strobe, all intergrated in the LED chipset, not the tailcap. Worth a shot.
spin1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:24   #9
KK40384

I picked one up off eBay a while back for $27 shipped and let me tell you that it's a great light for the money. Indoors it throws enough light but once you get outdoors it comes up short but hey for the money you can't complain. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a pistol light for indoor use if they aren't looking to spend more money on a TLR-3 or the like.
Old 09-02-2010, 16:13   #10
TriggerItch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin1078 View Post
So anyways, back to my question, has anyone tried to upgrade the LED? Anyone have pictures of the NCStar taken apart? I want to see the LED unit.
Just received one of these units today and I too am very impressed. Extremely high quality, rugged design...and for very little money.

The stock LED is plenty bright. Yet I'm a tinkerer as well and would like it to spew out some more lumens. I have some high mah rechargeable CR123A's so reduced on-time is not a problem for me.

The LED is mounted to a PCB that is approx 1 inch in diameter (seems very standard). All that we would need to do is to either replace the PCB with a compatible LED/PCB assembly or simply desolder and replace the original 1watt 35 lumen 3.0 - 3.6v LED.
TriggerItch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 16:19   #11
Agg22

i have this light too, and it started flickering after about 50 rounds were shot with it on the pistol. its a cheap POS light that i wouldnt trust my life with. thats not to say i dont trust Chinese products, just not this one. My current night stand setup includes a Fenix TK10 tac light and a streamlight TLR-1 mounted to my G22.
Agg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 16:35   #12
TriggerItch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg22 View Post
i have this light too, and it started flickering after about 50 rounds were shot with it on the pistol. its a cheap POS light that i wouldnt trust my life with.
I'll weigh-in your bad experience with it strongly but more than likely it's just a lemon. Get a replacement through their lifetime warranty. Every review I've read on this thing raves about it, with several reviewers claiming 500+ shots so far with no issues.
TriggerItch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:09   #13
KK40384

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerItch View Post
I'll weigh-in your bad experience with it strongly but more than likely it's just a lemon. Get a replacement through their lifetime warranty. Every review I've read on this thing raves about it, with several reviewers claiming 500+ shots so far with no issues.
Lemon? doubt it since mine did the exact same thing. I've owned other NcStar products that seemed great till you actually use them for what they were meant to be and they fail miserably.
Old 05-18-2011, 13:34   #14
gorenut

Really don't want to thread necro.. but I'm in the market to buying a light for my G34. Any further experiences with these lights? Preferably past 1000 rounds. Its so cheap that it seems almost impossible to pass up.. i think Amazon has these for 23 bucks or something.. but if its a junker.. thats 23 bucks that could better be spent towards a Streamlight.
gorenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:09   #15
KK40384

$23 better saved and put towards a streamlight any day of the week and twice on Sunday
Old 05-28-2011, 15:51   #16
Broncbuster
Dying Breed

I have 2 of these lights. One is on my night stand pistol- G19 the other is actually on a AR. I wanted one mounted in a certain spot and this one fit the area. Both have held up great, one has about 200rnds on it the other has about 100. So far so good. Bright for the money.
Broncbuster is offline   Reply With Quote