Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:24   #1
jv56

Hollow Points???

Well not much action here in the G-36 Thin to Win Club, so I am throwing this out there. I carry G-36 almost 24/7 and love it, that being said I do not use hollow points for self defense and carry standard ball ammo. I do not really think it matters with 45 ACP if you carry FMJ or HP's. I do know the difference between the two. What are your thoughts on that and just wanted to know if anybody else carry's ball ammo for self defense??
Old 11-24-2009, 07:51   #2
Eekamouse01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv56 View Post
Well not much action here in the G-36 Thin to Win Club, so I am throwing this out there. I carry G-36 almost 24/7 and love it, that being said I do not use hollow points for self defense and carry standard ball ammo. I do not really think it matters with 45 ACP if you carry FMJ or HP's. I do know the difference between the two. What are your thoughts on that and just wanted to know if anybody else carry's ball ammo for self defense??

Personally, in my G17C & G26, I carry either Magtech Guardian Gold or Remington Golden Saber 124 gr JHP's. Even these have 18" of gel penetration, so the ball would probably continue further, whereby creating potential through-and-through damage/injury to others and/or property. Not sure of the ballistic capabilities on the .45, but I'd think the JHP's would do some extremely nasty damage whereas the ball may keep-on-trucking through the body looking for another potential victim.

Just my thoughts.
Eekamouse01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:41   #3
Y-NotG23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eekamouse01 View Post
I'd think the JHP's would do some extremely nasty damage whereas the ball may keep-on-trucking through the body looking for another potential victim.

Just my thoughts.

Agreed.
I carry hollow points for two reasons.
  1. To stop the bad guy ASAP.
  2. To stop the round from passing through (hopefully) and hitting someone/something else.
Regardless of what you carry and what you have loaded, something is better than nothing.
Y-NotG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46   #4
tuica

I agree with the hollow point comments, however in situations where over-penetration would not be a hazard, ball would be fine. And I have carried ball in all four of my 45 ACP launchers. Sometimes one can worry too much. Also, being interested in most aspects of weapon related technology, it is compelling to experiment with many types of bullet design.
Old 11-24-2009, 15:27   #5
jv56

I am not sure 45 ACP ball would over penatrate due to the fact the FPS is a lot less than other calibers 40 or .357 sig where I could see using JHP. I am thinking 45 be more of a thud. By no means I am no expert just curious as some (gun) alegedly experts have told me it doesn't matter with 45 ACP the FMJ is fine. Just curious how others feel about it.
Old 11-24-2009, 15:38   #6
Graves
Diesel Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv56 View Post
I am not sure 45 ACP ball would over penatrate due to the fact the FPS is a lot less than other calibers 40 or .357 sig where I could see using JHP. I am thinking 45 be more of a thud. By no means I am no expert just curious as some (gun) alegedly experts have told me it doesn't matter with 45 ACP the FMJ is fine. Just curious how others feel about it.

The added weight makes up for speed and has more punch out @ farther distances so even at 750fps a 230gr .45 auto has enough weight behind it to pass through a body (Think - a 185gr +P load @ 1100fps generally wont dig as deep as a 230gr load @ 900fps). My question to you would be...Whats not to like about added volume to the wound canal from an expanding jhp? Unless of course you're on the receiving end.

Last edited by Graves; 11-24-2009 at 15:44..
Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 15:52   #7
jv56

Thanks Graves, I like the 185 gr JHP and the expansion and have carried it, but just getting different thoughts, however right now I have FMJ ammo in G-36. HEHE
Old 11-26-2009, 08:29   #8
Jim S.

The odds are that you will miss your target more often than you will over penetrate through it.
Not all hollow points do what they are supposed to do and essentially become FMJ rounds. The plus side to them is that usually they have a bit more velocity behind them than the standard FMJ.
If you put a round in a vital spot it won't really matter if it is a JHP or a FMJ, especially true in 45's.
But...
There are plenty of very good hollow points out there, and the Glocks have no problem feeding them.
If they are a slight advantage over FMJ rounds why not use them? At the very least they will perform as well as the FMJ and many times they will be better.
Old 11-26-2009, 22:47   #9
G36_Me

The reason I don't use hollow points is I cannot afford to shoot enough of them to prove they function in my gun, at least that's my perspective on cost. I've shot 1000s of 230 gr. regular old ball and things work fine. So for me, it just a matter of balancing the price and reliability issue in my G36 and 1911s.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43   #10
Jim S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36_Me View Post
The reason I don't use hollow points is I cannot afford to shoot enough of them to prove they function in my gun,
Well, that is a good point but you can shoot a few of the top brands and pick one out. Doesn't have to be in one day. It took me a long time to go through the rounds I tested.
Using FMJ because you can't afford to test them all is not really a good excuse for not testing a box of Gold Dots or a box of Corbons.
All of the top name HP's work fine these days. Pick one and try it. If it feeds a box then carry it. The advantage over FMJ is worth the cost of trying a box and shooting less cheap stuff a couple of times.
Old 11-27-2009, 19:06   #11
den888

When I have a 1911 in .45 ACP for self defense, I carry it with 230 FMJ ball.
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 19:39   #12
captcurly

I carry my G 36 with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel JHPs. I have read good things about this ammo. If JHPS are not your thing check out Hornady Critical Defense 45ACP ammo.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:28   #13
kemosabe

I carry mine with 185 gr Winchester Silver Tips.
USMC Rules for Gunfighting #21. "Be professional. Be polite. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Deo Vindice
Florida Glockers Club #1948
Thin to Win Club #3929 H & K Club #3929
kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 19:11   #14
G36_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
Well, that is a good point but you can shoot a few of the top brands and pick one out. Doesn't have to be in one day. It took me a long time to go through the rounds I tested.
Using FMJ because you can't afford to test them all is not really a good excuse for not testing a box of Gold Dots or a box of Corbons.
All of the top name HP's work fine these days. Pick one and try it. If it feeds a box then carry it. The advantage over FMJ is worth the cost of trying a box and shooting less cheap stuff a couple of times.
Good coaching and advice. I will take this under consideration. Thanks
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 23:26   #15
Ak.Hiker

The Speer Lawman 230 TMJ and the Double Tap 230 TMJ both run good in my Glock 36. I would not have a problem at all with either as a carry load. I have it loaded right now with the Hornady 230 TAP +P but I like the ball loads as well. I did some penetration testing a few years ago on moose leg bones and the 230 ball was pretty impressive in its ability to bust through bone and hold together.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:58   #16
leidenheimer

Ever thought of using Federal expanding full metal jackets?
leidenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:26   #17
mplecha

So far, my wife's 36 has fed everything. neither of us carry it, but if she chooses to, it will be with winchester ranger sxt. it hasn't had any trouble with those, and I have a lot of them I got cheap. I carry that in my 1911.
mplecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 00:09   #18
Chevy327

HP or Ball...it's going straight on through.

I'm not basing my above statement on this, but I have shot 200 grain SWC reloads at 750 fps through the double-sided curved part (under the window) of a 1966 Chevrolet truck door. The bullets were kicking up substantial dirt geysers on a dirt embankment about 100yards away after going through both metal sides of the door. The holes in the door were impressive.
Chevy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 00:25   #19
Ak.Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy327 View Post
HP or Ball...it's going straight on through.

I'm not basing my above statement on this, but I have shot 200 grain SWC reloads at 750 fps through the double-sided curved part (under the window) of a 1966 Chevrolet truck door. The bullets were kicking up substantial dirt geysers on a dirt embankment about 100yards away after going through both metal sides of the door. The holes in the door were impressive.
I have some 200 grain LBT loads for my S&W 45 acp revolver. They penetrate pretty good through logs. I guess it does not take a real hot load to penetrate deep with the SWC and LBT cast bullet designs.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 19:27   #20
55spartan

Federal HST all the way, runs smooth and would put an end to any situation.