GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-24-2009, 16:39   #1
MarkG

What is the niche filled by the Ruger 10/22?

In the rifle world, what is the niche filled by the Ruger 10/22?

I get that it's inexpensive out of the box, that it shoots inexpensive ammo, and that it can be compact and lightweight, depending on mods.

It can be used for taking small game, like squirrels or rabbits. What other game or pests are suitable for this rifle?

How accurate can you expect it to be, unmodified? What accuracy mods give the best results for money spent?

How reliable can you expect it to be, unmodified? What reliability mods give the best bang for the buck?

Where is the sweet spot for this rifle where accuracy and reliability mods start to cost so much that you might as well start with a different platform?

What similar rifles are out there, for a given purpose?

What questions did I forget to ask?
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 17:27   #2
mserr
mmm bop

Send a message via AIM to mserr
it is accurate "enough" out of the box for all the uses you listed. The 10/22 is just a great rifle to learn the fundamentals, and to tinker around for yourself.
Old 11-24-2009, 17:37   #3
bluejdixon
Ammo Hoarder

The 10/22 is a fantastic rifle. Mine has been as reliable as my bolt actions.

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum
Old 11-24-2009, 18:56   #4
sublime

Tons of accessories and highly customizable.
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 19:44   #5
HAMMERHEAD

The only mod mine needed was a Volquartsen hammer to cure the 9 pound trigger pull. I added a 4X scope with fine crosshairs (Leupold 4x Rimfire Special). Mine will shoot dime size groups at 50 yards with good ammo, and quarter size groups with cheap ammo.
Reliability has been near perfect, even in extreme cold.
Some day I would like to add an extended mag release, but it's not a necessity.
I'm not a benchrest competitor, so expensive, heavy barrels and fancy stocks don't do me any good.
Niche is not a word that I associate with the 10-22 considering it's popularity. It's probably taken more small game than any other rifle since it's introduction.
The question is what do you want in a .22?
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 19:52   #6
Power Pistol Pete

Send a message via ICQ to Power Pistol Pete
They're fun!
Power Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 20:40   #7
MarkG

I don't know much about rifles. I'm wondering why the 10-22 should be in my tool box.

What I've heard so far is that it's an inexpensive (in both purchase cost and ammo cost) skill builder and varminter, very reliable, very accurate inside 50 yards, reasonably accurate to maybe 100, with minimal mods.

That's what I meant by "niche". Beyond 100 yards, I should use another rifle, which presumably will cost me somewhat more in purchase and ammo cost.

Sound about right?
Old 11-24-2009, 21:06   #8
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i am going to add a 10/22 to my safe very soon and set it up with tech sights so its more of a trainer for my M14. the 10/22, mini14/30/6.8 and the M14/M1A all have the same manual of arms.

its an easy rifle for my wife to start shooting since my M14 scares her a bit.

its agreat varmint rifle.

its cheap to shoot.
Old 11-24-2009, 22:24   #9
HAMMERHEAD

Beyond a hundred yards the .22lr really starts to drop off as far as accuracy, trajectory and power, regardless of the rifle. Even a top notch bolt action .22 with $20/box ammo from Europe has limited power and the trajectory drops off the table.
For range you have to start looking at .22 Hornets, .222's and .223's in a good bolt gun. The Remington Tactical .223 is an economical, accurate gun with range.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 22:30   #10
mserr
mmm bop

Send a message via AIM to mserr
Mine shoots dime sized groups at 50 yards with good ammo too. I added a VQ target hammer, 4x Nikon prostaff rimfire scope and a Power Custom sharp claw extractor that's it. Reliability has also been near flawless. The only reason I replaced the extractor was because the 1 in 100 failure to extract bugged me lol. I've also shot steel plates at 435 yards with it easily, heck of a hold over but it can be done.

Last edited by mserr; 11-24-2009 at 22:33..
mserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:38   #11
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
I don't know much about rifles. I'm wondering why the 10-22 should be in my tool box.

What I've heard so far is that it's an inexpensive (in both purchase cost and ammo cost) skill builder and varminter, very reliable, very accurate inside 50 yards, reasonably accurate to maybe 100, with minimal mods.

That's what I meant by "niche". Beyond 100 yards, I should use another rifle, which presumably will cost me somewhat more in purchase and ammo cost.

Sound about right?
The 10-22 fills a number of Niche's. The reason you should have one in your tool box is because they do a number of things well.

The .22 LR is great on small game, great for a survival rifle, poachers have been using them for a long time on big game as well it just requires real precise shot placement.

As you already said it's a great skill builder, cheap to get a lot of trigger time with.

They are just plain fun to shoot.

Shooting animals past 100 yards you will probably want something else, but target shooting a .22LR at 200 yards will help you develop the skill for shooting high powered rifles at much longer ranges.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:20   #12
JFrame

Quote:
What is the niche filled by the Ruger 10/22?

"Parts."

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:24   #13
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

The 10/22 is a classic all around .22 rifle that anyone can shoot, young or old.

Old 11-25-2009, 15:06   #14
My2Dogs

great toys, get a kidd trigger and barrel then you got a rat killing machine!!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:22   #15
mboylan

The barrel isn't threaded into the receiver. It's easy to replace at home. You can buy a Ruger 10/22 receiver and build just about any custom gun you want at home.

It's also easy to switch from a .22 barrel to a .17 Mach2.

Last edited by mboylan; 11-26-2009 at 08:31..
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:48   #16
MarkG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
The barrel isn't threaded into the receiver. It's easy to replace at home. You can buy a Ruger 10/22 receiver and build just about any custom gun you want at home.

It's also easy to switch from a .22 barrel to a .17 Mach2.
Oh boy, this is what I was afraid I'd hear

Other people said it, but this is very specific. I was actually thinking that with all the mods people seem to make, why not just start with the receiver.

Do you need any specialized tools? Last tinkering gun I got was a bare bones RIA 1911, with a tiny, very uncomfortable beavertail. My gunsmith said "Oh yes, definitely replace that. Here's a great part. Sure you can fit it yourself, but it's a *lot* easier if you have access to a machine shop."

Do similar suprises await with the 10/22?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:22   #17
ArmyCop

Send a message via AIM to ArmyCop
If you do an internet search you’ll also find it’s a choice of Israel for a sniper rifle.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:30   #18
mboylan

Quote:
Oh boy, this is what I was afraid I'd hear

Other people said it, but this is very specific. I was actually thinking that with all the mods people seem to make, why not just start with the receiver.

Do you need any specialized tools? Last tinkering gun I got was a bare bones RIA 1911, with a tiny, very uncomfortable beavertail. My gunsmith said "Oh yes, definitely replace that. Here's a great part. Sure you can fit it yourself, but it's a *lot* easier if you have access to a machine shop."

Do similar suprises await with the 10/22?
Screwdrivers and punches. You can strip it down to parts in a few minutes. It takes 5 minutes to replace the barrel. The trigger group is modular. Trigger packs can be changed out in a few minutes as well. It's possible to start with a bolt/receiver and build a gun in less than an hour. Parts advertised as drop-in are truly drop-in. It's like a Lego set.

Last edited by mboylan; 11-27-2009 at 12:22..
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 14:33   #19
mac66
Plant the seed

The only reason people modify the 10/22 is because it is easy. It really doesn't need anything out of the box but people somehow feel compelled to tinker with stuff, especially people who read gun forums.

My only regret in life is that I didn't invent a 10/22 gizmo that I could sell to suckers and make a lot of money.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:10   #20
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
If you do an internet search youíll also find itís a choice of Israel for a sniper rifle.
A more thorough search will reveal that they were originally issued as a "Less Than Lethal" crowd control device. The idea was to shoot trouble making protesters in the legs. Problem was that the IDF soldiers seemed to default to their training and too many aimed COM resulting in dead protesters. The Suppressed 10-22 rifles were pulled from service. They may still occasionally use them for special purposes, but they are not any sort of primary sniper rifle.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 13:35   #21
Twisted Steel
And Sex Appeal

Quote:
If you have to ask, then there is absolutely no reason one should be in your tool box.

What ammo do the rest of you find good? I just got back from a horrendous day at the range with mine, and was extremely disappointed with the accuracy. I tried Federal and Remington, and wasn't too happy with either.

The Ram Line Mag sucked too.

They nag us over leaving the seat up, but how many times do they have to fall in before they learn to look first? Look sweetie, when you fall in, hit the flush handle and consider it a redneck bidet.
Twisted Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 18:00   #22
mac66
Plant the seed

BTW,

My kids were home for the holiday (the youngest a sophomore in college) this weekend and said they wanted to shoot. We shoot at an undisclosed outdoors location.

Besides the AR, AK, and a rack of pistols we took a couple 10/22s. One being a rifle I cut down for my daughter (the sophomore). I have about 20 cheap 30 round mags, a couple 25 round mags and a dozen 10 rounders. I think the kids went through them 3 or 4 times.

With the price of ammo these days, there are few things funner than a 10/22 and lots of magazines.
Old 11-29-2009, 20:11   #23
ronin_the_great

Only bad thing I can say about mine is...reloading. Really need to invest in one of those nifty speed loaders. To the OP, check out rimfirecentral.com. That site has all the ins and outs about the 10/22, lots of great info to be had there. And I'm sure some one has posted a do-it-yourself mod to convert a 10/22 into a Porsche
ronin_the_great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 20:28   #24
1faSStchevy

Growing up my dads 10/22 was what I loved to shoot. As far as I know it was completly stock. I ustakood unscrew a bottle cap about half way, get back about 20 yards and take the cap off without touching the bottle. Really loved the thing and this weekend got a chance to play with it again. At 15 yards I was able to keep 10 rounds in a 2" circle firing pretty quick, I'd say under 10sec. After our reuniteing I checked some local shops for a 10/22 of my own. Without a doubt I will be getting one in the near future.
1faSStchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 16:43   #25
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Steel View Post
If you have to ask, then there is absolutely no reason one should be in your tool box.

What ammo do the rest of you find good? I just got back from a horrendous day at the range with mine, and was extremely disappointed with the accuracy. I tried Federal and Remington, and wasn't too happy with either.

The Ram Line Mag sucked too.

Mine shoots Federal Spitfire and Aguila match hyper velocity with AMAZING accuracy. The Federal Spitfire is half the cost, so that's my winner.

Remington GBs are average for accuracy. I have had about 6 duds per 525. Decently reliable, but not the most accurate.

Butler creek steel lips mags for me, or well adjusted factory mags. No problems with either ones.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote