SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:17   #1
tgriffin47

Night Sight Recommendation

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to Glock Talk and a new G17 owner. I bought the standard model and now I think I should have gotten night sights. Any good recommendations for aftermarket sights or if its possible, where can I get the standard Glock night sights???
tgriffin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:21   #2
EmeryE100

I got a new set of Trijicon night sights last year for my M22 when the plastic factory rear site broke off. It only cost me $80.00 (installed) at a gun show in Columbus, OH. Been working pretty good for me.
EmeryE100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:33   #3
chkin11

http://www.ameriglo.net/weapon_site/...um_sights.html

I use the Pro Series Operator Night Sights (green/yellow) on my Duty gun and my backup/off duty. I have tried many but these are without a doubt my favorite.

coupon code "GRADY" will save you 24% ($23.76) on your order.

Last edited by chkin11; 11-29-2009 at 01:35..
chkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25   #4
Nutt51

Grif,

I don't know where you live, but I live in GA. and I just took my G-17
to Glock in Smyrna, GA. last week and had the Glock night sights installed.
It cost me $60 and change, and that was with state tax.
Some fellows here have sent theirs in and had them installed and
I think Glock will pay return shipping. You can find more info. on the
forum here about that and the quality of the Glock sights.
I now have the glock night sights on all my pistols and am very happy
with them. You cannot beat Glock service.
Call Glocks customer service toll free number and they will be glad to
answer any questions you have. Good luck.
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:35   #5
Lothar
Noob

I like meprolites, green front yellow rears.
Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12   #6
Douglas in CT

File Photos:
Sights, Optics and Lasers

TruGlo TFO sights are amazing! Much like having 3 LEDs pointing at you in daylight! Night sights are behind the fiber optic rods. Mine are Green Front & Yellow Rears

Be the good Boy Scout...BE PREPARED!
Douglas in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24   #7
Douglas in CT

Another night sight to consider, if the gun is for self defense, is the XS Sight Systems BIG DOT Tritium Night Sights.
http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

Be the good Boy Scout...BE PREPARED!
Douglas in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16   #8
Palmguy
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkin11 View Post

I use the Pro Series Operator Night Sights (green/yellow) on my Duty gun and my backup/off duty. I have tried many but these are without a doubt my favorite.

I also use these sights (green/green) on all of my Glocks...they are fantastic.
Palmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38   #9
DrMark
Dr Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
I like meprolites, green front yellow rears.
That's what I installed on my G17. I like 'em fine, though I could do without the white outline around the rear dots.

I recently installed some of the aforementioned AmeriGlo Pro Series Operator Night Sights (green/yellow, no white outline around the rear dots) on my S&W M&P 9. Very nice!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:01   #10
Diesel_Bomber

I'm happy with Trijicons.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33   #11
RayB
Retired Member

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

My Take On Night Sights...

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, and have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers are embedded in polished epoxy for easy cleaning and to resist solvents and grime. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken to avoid harsh solvents when cleaning, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot Sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TruGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic... Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 16:08   #12
lee1000

Rayb,
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time.
lee1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:39   #13
JCROWNII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkin11 View Post

Why did you choose ameriglo over the other brands if I may ask?

Also, I noticed the operator models don't have the white out line on the rear sights. Does this help you acquire the front sight faster since it HAS the white out line?
Glock 22 .40 S&W, Glock 27 .40 S&W, BCM 14.5" Mid-Length AR15, Nighthawk Custom Remington 870
JCROWNII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53   #14
stmcelroy
Holster Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCROWNII View Post
Also, I noticed the operator models don't have the white out line on the rear sights. Does this help you acquire the front sight faster since it HAS the white out line?

Yes that is exactly why they are built that way.

When I was looking for night sights I wanted a setup with non-tritium rear and a tritium front sight, but there are not many setups available in this configuration. I ended up finding the Pro Operators and tried a set, now 3 of my four Glock's wear them(the other has factory night sights).

I've got guns with Trijicon and Meprolight night sights and the Trijicons are much brighter and easier to see in low light situations. The Ameriglo's use Trijicon ampules so you are getting a great design and the best tritium inserts out there, IMHO.
stmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:45   #15
rich52us

Send a message via Yahoo to rich52us
TRU Glo TFOs are my favorite. They give me the best sight picture in all lighting conditions from daylight through todal darkness.
#3014 in the Big Dawg , Kel-Tec , Sub, HK & Black Rifle Clubs. .
rich52us is offline   Reply With Quote