Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2009, 19:45   #1
theTactician

I just recently bought a sig 522

any reviews on this gun? I just recently bought this 22lr rifle from sig sauer which is a clone of the sig 556, sig 550 (civilian version). It comes with a red dot and has i believe a 24 round detachable magazine (california), a folding stock as well. its a cool looking gun thats why i was tempted to buy it and i did without any hesitation at all, much to the dismay of the other onlookers who also wanted to buy the said gun. Any helpful reviews, suggestions? thanks bros. have a good day. i can hardly wait to test it on the range soon.
Old 11-30-2009, 20:15   #2
DriBak
GUNS UP

I want one but cannot find one. What did you pay? I'm surprised you got the red dot, most of the folks who have purchased them said the red dot was not included as first indicated by SS.
Old 11-30-2009, 22:59   #3
theTactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriBak View Post
I want one but cannot find one. What did you pay? I'm surprised you got the red dot, most of the folks who have purchased them said the red dot was not included as first indicated by SS.
it has the basic red dot sight(looked kinda cheap to me), not the sig sauer red dot sight though. I believe those sig red dots are expensive, as much as 200+ bucks. I got a good deal and thats what im happy about. it was one of those holiday specials. i guess i got lucky.
Old 12-01-2009, 19:32   #4
theTactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTactician View Post
it has the basic red dot sight(looked kinda cheap to me), not the sig sauer red dot sight though. I believe those sig red dots are expensive, as much as 200+ bucks. I got a good deal and thats what im happy about. it was one of those holiday specials. i guess i got lucky.
I was wrong, the red dot sight is not included. the store has informed me that if i want the red dot sight, it would be an additional 100 dollars. good thing, i already have one. cant wait to get it by next week.
Old 12-01-2009, 21:40   #5
CMG

I sent funds/FFL for mine today. $475 delivered (and my FFL doesn't charge me for transfers), it might be a bit high, but I wanted it before Christmas, so....... I also have a pair of BDM 50 round drums on order (since BDM has a 25% off sale going on) that will fit the Sig!

Rimfire Forum
Old 12-02-2009, 21:09   #6
theTactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG View Post
I sent funds/FFL for mine today. $475 delivered (and my FFL doesn't charge me for transfers), it might be a bit high, but I wanted it before Christmas, so....... I also have a pair of BDM 50 round drums on order (since BDM has a 25% off sale going on) that will fit the Sig!

Rimfire Forum
thats one bad-*** cool baby you got there bro!
Old 12-02-2009, 21:25   #7
theTactician

what's the best red dot scope for our cool sig 522? what are you thinking of getting? me, im thinkin of getting one that is not that expensive, the sig itself is for training purposes only
Old 12-16-2009, 06:35   #8
pugman

Quote:

Rimfire Forum
I seriously want one of these but let me throw this out...

A 522 is a all metal rifle-correct? I've read some people don't like the plastic of the S&W, but others compare it to the polymer/steel Glock vs whatever argument. To me if it does the job, is fun and reliable then I don't care.

If it IS all metal...and $475 and basically a clone of 556/550 why are those rifles in another caliber so much more? Yes, the 556/550 have to be beefier to handle the higher pressure rounds--but 2 or 3xs as much?

Or is this just a marketing tactic? S&W and Sig are bringing out .22 rifles because ammo is getting more expensive..and someone concerned about cost isn't going to pay $900 for a .22 unless its custom

I want to hunt one of these down
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52   #9
CMG

The Sig 522 is NOT all metal... the lower is synthetic, as are the stock and fore-end.

Even if it were all metal, the 556 is a gas-piston rifle, much more complicated than the simple blow-back action of the 522. They aren't even close in terms of manufacturing costs.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:34   #10
seamaster

Quote:

Rimfire Forum
That's a nice looking gun but I wish it wasn't so bloody heavy. My favorite of these tacticool guns is the M&P 15-22. S&W got the weight right.
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 15:10   #11
DriBak
GUNS UP

how much are the drums with the discount?
Old 12-17-2009, 16:33   #12
CMG

Quote:
how much are the drums with the discount?
If you buy two (to get the 25% off (min $100 order)) they are $60 each.

I got mine, and they are as well made as you'd expect from BDM... haven't had the time to take them out back yet, though!
Old 12-22-2009, 00:25   #13
theTactician

what do you guys think of my sig? scope's too small huh?

Rimfire Forum

Old 12-22-2009, 06:06   #14
CMG

Looks fine to me...
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09   #15
M2 Carbine

At the Ft Worth gun show Sunday three dealers had the rifle.
The first wanted in the high $500, so I thought I'll forget about the SIG.
Second dealer, one row away, wanted $469, still a little high but I'll think about it.
Third dealer, on the next row, wanted $449 ($518 OTD).

I wanted to see if magazines were available before I bought the rifle. As it turned out the Colt magazine fits the SIG. $25-$29 for 25 round mags and pushing $90 for the drum.
I bought the gun ($449) and two mags.

When I got home I called a friend. He and his two boys came to my place to see the gun. I have a backyard range and they ran 7-8 magazines through the rifle. Then I shot a mag and one later.
Using Remington and Federal bulk pack we had two duds.

I have a BSA Green Dot on the gun. (I use a LOT of BSA Red Dot sights, something around 25 and have good luck with them)

I like the gun.
I don't like that the magazines don't have buttons on the followers, like the S&W M&P 15-22, to make loading easy and fast.
The gun is right heavy for a 22, but not bad.
The big complaint is the SIG doesn't come with iron sights. The Smith M&P comes with excellent removable iron sights. I think this is pretty cheap of SIG. I looked up the sights on SIG's web site. The iron sights cost half as much as the rifle.

My friend asked me if I like the SIG or Smith M&P better.
I told him it's somewhat Apples and Oranges. The Smith is a PERFECT trainer for the .223 AR and I assume the SIG is a perfect trainer for the .223 SIG.

If I could buy only one rifle, all things considered, and unless I just wanted a SIG, between the Smith M&P and SIG, I would buy the M&P.
I like both rifles, but if nothing else the iron sights make the Smith a much better deal and the SIG/Colt mags are a PITA to load.

If I don't get rained out, I'm going to put a lot of WAL Mart bulk pack through the SIG today.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 16:38   #16
SCOTTtheBADGER

I have an M&P 15-22, and love it. I am coming into some money, and am giving serious thought to a 522. Is it worth getting, or is it more trouble than it is worth, what with no sights and hard to load mags?
SCOTTtheBADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 17:04   #17
M2 Carbine

I may have overstated how hard the mags are to load. It's not that they are any harder to load than any other hi cap of it's type, it's just that such mags as the M&P are much easier to load.

If you mostly use a Red Dot or scope then the lack of iron sights might not be important. I mostly use Red Dot sights but I'd still like to have irons available.

Today two of my young lady students ran 6 or 8 magazines through my SIG. Everyone else is shooting it more than me.
The girls liked the gun, and didn't mind loading the mags, so I may be too picky.
The girls said the gun was a little heavy but not too bad.

The gun does not like Wal Mart Remington bulk pack ammo at all but runs trouble free with Federal WM BP.

Rimfire Forum

BTW, today was only the second day this girl has ever shot a gun and I ran her through the Texas Concealed Carry shooting qualification course, using a 45 Kimber. She shot a fantastic 242/250.
I just had to brag on her.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 12-22-2009 at 17:12..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 14:44   #18
theTactician

[

Rimfire Forum

.[/QUOTE]

what's that scope in the sig? looks cool
Old 12-24-2009, 19:06   #19
DriBak
GUNS UP

Sig did "rip us off" with the no sights deal, when they 1st announced the 522 it was supposed to come with a red dot and a rear sight. I have ordered some clone BUIS and intend to modify the front "gas block" for the front sight to work. I will post pics when my products arrive from over seas.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:25   #20
theTactician

Quote:
Sig did "rip us off" with the no sights deal, when they 1st announced the 522 it was supposed to come with a red dot and a rear sight. I have ordered some clone BUIS and intend to modify the front "gas block" for the front sight to work. I will post pics when my products arrive from over seas.
i agree. seemed like a rip-off.. they should've included at least the iron sights if not the red dot