Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2009, 00:14   #1
jethro21

Got a Rock Island GI

I sold the boat anchor impluse buy AMT I bought a few months ago and bought a RIA on black friday, no sales tax. I had gone to check it out about 2 times before deciding to buy it.

I am very impressed at this gun. I am not experienced in 1911's, but since getting bit by the bug I have been going to every gun shop around and handling their 1911's. I gotta say that for a <$500 gun I am pretty impressed. The fit is tight, the action is very smooth and I can't find any machine marks on it.

I put 50 rounds through it today (can't find ammo anywhere) and it didn't so much as hiccup. It was only ball ammo, but from the reviews I have read I am not worried about hollow point. The trigger has a slight up and down play, not sure if this is normal/acceptable or not....?

The sights are friggen small, and it shot high consistantly. I am planning on changing the sights when I get some funds.

The only odd thing was the slide wouldn't lock back for my Wilson mags. It functioned perfectly with the factory mag and with a Colt mag, but it refused to lock back with the Wilson, whether when shooting or hand cycling.....Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on why.

Anyway, we will see if my small purchase pans out in a couple thousand rounds, although with ammo scarce that may take a long while (I guess it is time to start reloading again).

Just wanted to let anyone looking for a cheap 1911 my early thoughts on this gun.

Jethro
jethro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 00:34   #2
HAIL CAESAR

The trigger play is fine and normal, especially for a $400 gun.

It should feed HP's fine.

Wilson mags may have weakened springs.

RIA is a great bargain gun.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:35   #3
bac1023

Congrats.

Mine has fed FMJ and JHP with no problems.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 14:16   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

Congrats! Rock Islands are the best gun, especially 1911 for the money on the market. I have 3 and love them all.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 14:55   #5
GoodGuy

I've had one for several weeks now and for the $425 that I paid for it I think it's an awesome gun. I only have about 75 rounds thru it but it's perfomed admirably. I've had several 1911's in the $2000-2500 range and they may be a little prettier and such but you can't beat this one for less than a fifth the price. Mine fed the Hornady HP's fine but choked on the "flying ashtrays" but then again most guns probably would. I bought it as kind of a "play" gun to learn more about 1911's and I'm really impressed.
GoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 14:57   #6
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

some of the best $325.00 i ever spent.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 15:51   #7
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

I have a 3.5" compact model that will feed anything. Nice little pistol, extended beavertail, commander hammer, but has the GI trigger and sites. Shoots well and reliably.
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 16:41   #8
willis68

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Congrats! Rock Islands are the best gun, especially 1911 for the money on the market. I have 3 and love them all.
That is if you like 1911's that are made in the Philippines, sorry guys but I wouldn't own one if it was given to me for free!!
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Last edited by willis68; 12-01-2009 at 18:59..
willis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 16:52   #9
ctap105
Monkey D Luffy

I have never owned one. Just kimber and colts. For a person not really wanting to dish out the money, from what I hear, they're the ones to buy. If I bought one and tricked it out, I still couldn't be happy. Especially if it ain't be no colt.
ctap105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 19:01   #10
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis68 View Post
That is if you like 1911's that are made in the Philippines, sorry guys but I wouldn't own one if it was given to me for free!!
Then you sir, are downright silly. There are every bit as good as any of the entry level 1911s and kick the crap out of some of them. Like, say, a taurus.

To say you would not own one if it was given to you is silly because everyone here knows that isnt true.
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 19:23   #11
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro21 View Post
The trigger has a slight up and down play, not sure if this is normal/acceptable or not....?

The only odd thing was the slide wouldn't lock back for my Wilson mags.

Jethro
Congrats!

if the vertical play bothers you, just buy a new trigger and fit it, by a little filing.

Wilson's seem to do that on other guns too, so it's not your RIA.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 21:32   #12
willis68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Then you sir, are downright silly. There are every bit as good as any of the entry level 1911s and kick the crap out of some of them. Like, say, a taurus.

To say you would not own one if it was given to you is silly because everyone here knows that isnt true.
You obviously do not know me, and to say I am silly for not wanting to own a 1911 made in the Philippines, well if one is ever given to me, I will sell it to you I would never OWN one, and I am very serious about that...
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Last edited by willis68; 12-01-2009 at 21:44..
Old 12-01-2009, 21:55   #13
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

everybody has their quirks....if it aint the big three then they dont want it...
so what. doesnt detract from the filipino guns at all.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 22:39   #14
jethro21

I am very happy with my Philipino made gun, when comparing fit and finish with the springfield gi and para gi expert that were at the shop the RIA I bought felt and looked better, hands down. I am sure that may bring up some comments that I am a newbie who doesn't know the difference, but for me the look/fit/feel, positive reviews, outstanding customer service reputation and price made the purchase easy for me.

Someday when my department decides to give me a raise again (not for at least the next 2 years they say) I will sink some money into something of higher quality and price point, but I have this strange feeling this gun will still be kickin butt when that time comes.
Old 12-01-2009, 22:41   #15
den888

Congrats !!!
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 23:02   #16
willis68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro21 View Post
I am very happy with my Philipino made gun, when comparing fit and finish with the springfield gi and para gi expert that were at the shop the RIA I bought felt and looked better, hands down. I am sure that may bring up some comments that I am a newbie who doesn't know the difference, but for me the look/fit/feel, positive reviews, outstanding customer service reputation and price made the purchase easy for me.

Someday when my department decides to give me a raise again (not for at least the next 2 years they say) I will sink some money into something of higher quality and price point, but I have this strange feeling this gun will still be kickin butt when that time comes.
Congrats on the pistol. As I have heard from several people they are well worth the money, I just have a problem with the 1911 being built anywhere but the USA, it is one of the best designs that ever came out of this country and I feel that it should be kept here, call me a purist, enjoy your pistol and my apologies if you took any offense to this
Old 12-01-2009, 23:14   #17
mikegun

I think the commander size RIA has the best balance of any 1911 ive held, i say that as i own 2 kimbers, nut would not hesitate getting another RIA...
Old 12-03-2009, 00:22   #18
jethro21

Willis, none taken. I just think we have to be willing to accept the fact that good things can be made outside of the US, just as bad things can be made in the US....My former 1911 being a bad thing...

That being said, I will sink some money into a good US built gun hopefully sooner rather than later.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:27   #19
okie
GT Mayor

Congrats my friend
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 15:59   #20
Oaklands

I just took one in trade for an old beater pickup I was selling. It feels fine but needed a good cleaning. Practically looks new now. I will take it to the range and give it a test run.

I own 2 other 1911's. One is a Kimber Pro Carry II in stainless I just received a couple of weeks ago. The other is another Phillipino Metro Arms AC II Deluxe.

The AC II is a great little gun. Cheap like the RIA. It is very accurate and has not hiccuped one time since in the 175 rounds I have put through it. I trust it for carry or in my nightstand.

Yes the trigger does have an up and down movement but does not seem to be a problem when dry firing.

I can't comment on mags since I have not been to the range yet. I will firing mine with some new Kimber Pro-Tac mags.

Enjoy your gun. If you are happy, that is all that matters. I too will have different sights put on if I decide to keep it for a while. For now I put some orange paint on the front and some green on the rear to help my older eyes see them better.
Oaklands is offline   Reply With Quote