Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:46   #1
joepa150

Grip tape or precut grip tape?

I can buy a sheet of skateboard grip tape for $5. There are a handful of different manufacturers that have different grits. The alternative is to get Talon or decal grips. I think Talon grips look great but i am afraid that they will rub against my Supertuck and scrape it up. If I buy my own grip tape I can use less than the Talon grips so it is not entirely covered with griptape and I would have a lot left over.

I also checked out home depot but I think they had 3m rolls for $13 and $20 which is too much money for me.
joepa150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:25   #2
HK Dan

You can buy 3M Safewalk by the foot too. I pu tin on, then took it off all my carry guns (I still use it on the match guns). It tended to snag my shirt or cover garment on the draw.

Dan
HK Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:26   #3
OKCShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
I can buy a sheet of skateboard grip tape for $5....

I also checked out home depot but I think they had 3m rolls for $13 and $20 which is too much money for me.
No offense, but the difference of $8-$15 is too much money? Then how are you going to afford to shoot it anyway?
OKCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 13:10   #4
grendelprime

The value of having pre-cut decals is up to the buyer, I have gone the DIY route many times and had decent success.
Sometimes I find I spent as much or more in materials and/or tools that I may never use again than I would have just buying the item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
grendelprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 13:13   #5
AgentAdam
Glock Master

I HIGHLY recommend TractionGrips. They have precut 3M for like 7 bucks. EXCELLENT

http://www.tractiongrips.com/catalog/c1_p1.html

Last edited by AgentAdam; 12-03-2009 at 13:23..
AgentAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 13:14   #6
cleatis1234

I have this A Grip on my G35, works great. Not sand paper, more of a suede like material that covers the grip. Enhances grip, adds comfort and is non-abrasive. I have sandpaper decals on my XD, and much prefer the A Grip to the sandpaper.

http://www.brookstactical.com/
cleatis1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 13:23   #7
AgentAdam
Glock Master

Didn't there used to be a mole skin grip or something? I remember something that looked just like that being very popular years ago before all of the "grip reduction/mods"
AgentAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 13:48   #8
dday27

Bike innertube from walmart...
The 21 Club #2727 Kalashnikov Club #2727
Black Rifle Club #2727 The Bull Dawgs Club #2727
dday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 21:59   #9
joepa150

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCShooter View Post
No offense, but the difference of $8-$15 is too much money? Then how are you going to afford to shoot it anyway?
I would rather allocate my money to shooting. $10 will by me 50 rounds of 9mm.
joepa150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:50   #10
Jim S.

Stair tread tape or skate board tape is way too abrasive on exposed skin or even your belt and holster.
Talon Grip is less abrasive but still will irritate your skin if it touches it.
I also don't care for it grabbing my shirt and getting all full of lint from a shirt.
Think about where your hand and fingers need the grip help from whatever you use and do not put it where your hand or fingers do not touch.
That's the best that I can recommend.
Old 04-04-2010, 20:43   #11
yesitsloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentAdam View Post
I HIGHLY recommend TractionGrips. They have precut 3M for like 7 bucks. EXCELLENT

I absolutely agree.

Just received 2-sets of grips to try out on my 27 and 36 a couple days ago (right on time as promised). All pieces fit perfectly (just wish there was a pre-cut back-strap piece too).

This stuff is made out of what seems like the 'hogue pistol sleeve' material, you know, rubber, but with ridges. I have put on and then taken off more talon grips and sandpaper tape than I care to remember because of how the sandpaper felt against my skin while carrying concealed - ouch. Tractiongrips feel great against my skin AND give me great grip

Best part is now there is a promotion that if you buy one set for your gun (they have many models to choose from) you get a set of non-gun specific rectangle pieces for use elsewhere FREE - I cut up one and used part for the back-straps for the 27 and 36 and I used the other for the slide (cut little rectangles to fit into the spaces between cocking serrations on both sides of the slides AND enough left over to do both sides of the cocking serrations on my 23 and a few strips cut to size for my Microteck as well.

Tractiongrips have a great feel, not bulky and seem to stay on tight and are cut to the exact size of the part you are going to cover.

I am going to place another order for my 23 tomorrow - Hey, at $8 INCLUDING shipping ... its a winner. BTW: Got my last order in 2-days and their fully refundable.

Try 'em out: http://www.tractiongrips.com
yesitsloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 21:47   #12
Taz

I have been using TruGrips for a couple of years on both my carry G21 and my G34. I was also worried about it snagging covering garments and tearing up my under shirts, but surprisingly that has yet to happen. Its got a really fine grit but offers great grip. I tries decal grips first, but I never could get the edges to stay down
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 23:04   #13
jadedragon

Skateboard tape? Tried it. Too much time and work to get it right, too abrasive. Get TruGrip. Perfectly pre cut and just the right abrasive which actually gets better with use.
jadedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 20:17   #14
1canvas

i use a bike tube on my 23 but for my 27 i bought the talon. the small grip on the 27 requires a bit more traction. before i installed the grip i sanded it down with some 220 grit sand paper. it gives me a good grip without being to abrasive.
the talon was only 10.00 with a perfect cut, 5 minutes and done. looks pretty good too.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 13:31   #15
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentAdam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsloaded View Post
I absolutely agree.

Just received 2-sets of grips to try out on my 27 and 36 a couple days ago (right on time as promised). All pieces fit perfectly (just wish there was a pre-cut back-strap piece too).

This stuff is made out of what seems like the 'hogue pistol sleeve' material, you know, rubber, but with ridges. I have put on and then taken off more talon grips and sandpaper tape than I care to remember because of how the sandpaper felt against my skin while carrying concealed - ouch. Tractiongrips feel great against my skin AND give me great grip

Best part is now there is a promotion that if you buy one set for your gun (they have many models to choose from) you get a set of non-gun specific rectangle pieces for use elsewhere FREE - I cut up one and used part for the back-straps for the 27 and 36 and I used the other for the slide (cut little rectangles to fit into the spaces between cocking serrations on both sides of the slides AND enough left over to do both sides of the cocking serrations on my 23 and a few strips cut to size for my Microteck as well.

Tractiongrips have a great feel, not bulky and seem to stay on tight and are cut to the exact size of the part you are going to cover.

I am going to place another order for my 23 tomorrow - Hey, at $8 INCLUDING shipping ... its a winner. BTW: Got my last order in 2-days and their fully refundable.

Try 'em out: http://www.tractiongrips.com

I just wanted to Thank you two for posting to this thread. I figured it was worth a shot and sent my order off last Sunday night. Wednesday I had the black rubber grips for my G34, the free Universal set (black rubber) and the guitar pick sample pack (for my Dad) sitting in the mailbox. I just got around to putting the grips on the G34 today and it does give some traction with no abrasion - now to figure out what I want to put the Universal set on. Thanks again for the tip - now to get to the range to try them out.
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46   #16
toddnjoy

I'm surprised no one recommended talon grips
toddnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:31   #17
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnjoy View Post
I'm surprised no one recommended talon grips
I was almost tempted to try them but I didn't need sandpaper grips at this time. If I need some this summer, I will definitely try them out as all of the reports have been great.
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:43   #18
toddnjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njanear View Post
I was almost tempted to try them but I didn't need sandpaper grips at this time. If I need some this summer, I will definitely try them out as all of the reports have been great.
If your worried about holster rash just put on the talons and use some candle wax and rub the side of the grip that faces your super tuck and all will be well i mean how can you go wrong on ten bucks and free shipping along with awesome customer service.
toddnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 17:06   #19
zx2loon
Mental Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnjoy View Post
If your worried about holster rash just put on the talons and use some candle wax and rub the side of the grip that faces your super tuck and all will be well i mean how can you go wrong on ten bucks and free shipping along with awesome customer service.

To add to this issue, I suggest putting on your Talon grips then actually gripping the pistol. When you do, you will realize that the area that "scratches" people while carrying IWB is an area where you don't need this "traction". Simple remedy is what I did. I used a pencil/marker/crayon and traced my finger tips and the heel of my hand while gripping my G26. I then took some 400grit sand paper and gently/lightly sanded the area smooth where I do not use to grip. When I was done, I put my G26 into my MTAC and low and behold, no scratchin on my skin. Problem solved.
zx2loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 22:34   #20
MajesticLT03

I just installed rubber Traction grips on my G19 and they made a big difference on my hands after I shot 100 rounds today..

my hands didnt feel red and sore like they did when I shot the first 100 rounds through last weekend without the grips on