Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2009, 15:54   #1
jstang

Reloading in an apartment

Well to keep this simple I am looking into reloading and the only thing that i feel may prevent me is that i live in an apartment. I live on my own and do not have any roomates. I also have a large closet I would be able to put a table in and work in. Are there any reasons not to do so, and if I can would it be wise to work in an isolated area such as the closet.
Thanks
J
jstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 16:14   #2
sarge

I don't see a problem with either.
Big Dawg #241
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 16:14   #3
DoctaGlockta

Make sure you tell your super. I'm sure he'll be excited

Seriously, don't let the small space be an excuse. I reload on a desk in my office with a handpress. Everything I need fits in a tool box that I keep locked up when I'm not using it. Great skill to learn and very rewarding. Good luck.
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 16:16   #4
fredj338

When I was in college I turned my coat closet into a reloading room. Put a lock or dead bolt on it so the manager doesn't go snooping. Also doubles as a safe place to store your guns & ammo. It's a small space but certainly workable.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 16:23   #5
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Make sure you have good light. If you are working with exposed lead or doing casting make sure you have very good ventilation.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 16:27   #6
pangloss9

I can't think of a good reason not too. I wish I had a spare closet somewhere in my house that I could use for that purpose.
pangloss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 16:31   #7
Colorado4Wheel

I made the mistake of thinking my 900 sqft place was too small for a progressive press. Reality is with a little forthought you can easily make it work. I used my kitchen table and C-Clamped the press (attached to a big board) to the table. I then attached the that board to the wall with a removable bolt (expanding wall anchor). The board had the L bracket to attach to the wall. Once the press was C-Clamped to the table and the bolt was attached to the two wall anchors the table was very solid.
Old 12-10-2009, 17:38   #8
dudel

My first "bench" was in a small closet. I put a set of 2x4 rails around 3/4 of the closet and set a heavy board on the rails. Worked fine for two years. Easy to take down, or leave up as needed. Close the door, and it was secure. Easy enough to put a good lock on it if needed.

Welcome to the madness.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 18:12   #9
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I shall refrain from making any comments on the obvious difference between going into a closet... and coming out of one.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 18:23   #10
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang View Post
Well to keep this simple I am looking into reloading and the only thing that i feel may prevent me is that i live in an apartment. I live on my own and do not have any roomates. I also have a large closet I would be able to put a table in and work in. Are there any reasons not to do so, and if I can would it be wise to work in an isolated area such as the closet.
Thanks
J
I don't see a problem. I've heard of some folks using those craftsman portable benches. Obviously you wouldn't be able to put a huge press on it, but would probably work fine w/ a 550 or LCT, or maybe even a Loadmaster.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 20:00   #11
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I don't see a problem. I've heard of some folks using those craftsman portable benches. Obviously you wouldn't be able to put a huge press on it, but would probably work fine w/ a 550 or LCT, or maybe even a Loadmaster.

IGF
Thats the thing. It won't matter. Brace the base properly to a wall and put whatever you want on it. I doubt even a casefeeder would matter if the base is attached to the wall for additional support. Thats really the key.
Old 12-10-2009, 20:20   #12
n2extrm

Made alot of ammo on my little bench in a 9X9 room!

Reloading

I even had a trimmer and swager on there at one point. I would put the scale on a small desk by my laptop behind me! This could be built in a closet easilly.
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:25   #13
jstang

Thanks for all of the replys Im sure this is the first question of many more to come. I move next friday, and I have a table I built out of some scrap wood a while ago I will use as a bench. For some reason when I built it I felt the need to use all of the wood I had so its very sturdy, 4x4's for legs and 2x4's for support. Think I'll go buy a book tomorrow to get started on some reading. Hopefully after christmas and the move I'll have some money left to start.

J
Old 12-11-2009, 04:39   #14
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang View Post
Thanks for all of the replys Im sure this is the first question of many more to come. I move next friday, and I have a table I built out of some scrap wood a while ago I will use as a bench. For some reason when I built it I felt the need to use all of the wood I had so its very sturdy, 4x4's for legs and 2x4's for support. Think I'll go buy a book tomorrow to get started on some reading. Hopefully after christmas and the move I'll have some money left to start.

J
how much ammunition do you need?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:00   #15
Landric
Supervisor?

Send a message via AIM to Landric
I started handloading in 1994. I bought a house (finally) in 2008. During all that time between (except the time I lived in an apartment that really was too small for handloading-about 400 square feet), I lived in apartments and I handloaded. Provided you have even a little spare to put your stuff, I don't see any reason not to do it. I wouldn't cast in an apartment, but handloading is no problem.
Mon: Do you carry chambered?, Tue: Can a cop write a ticket without his hat?, Wed: Should I carry a spare mag?, Thurs: I got stopped without "probably cause"., Fri: Will there be a Glock Carbine?, Sat: Why the GAP hate?, Sun: I hate the GAP.
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:10   #16
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

When I started reloading (16 yrs old), my bedroom had a walk-in closet, which served as my clothes closet, magazine storage (lots of Road & Track and Gun & Ammo), and reloading room. I reloaded thousands of rounds of pistol and rifle cartridges on a RCBS single stage press.

I've seen some people use a Black and Decker workmate as a folding reloading table - they seem to work pretty well even with a progresive press - like a Dillion 550.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:38   #17
Gunnuts10mm

If you like your neighbors, you may want to mind your tumbler running time.
Gunnuts10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:13   #18
jstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulicman View Post
how much ammunition do you need?
I usually try to shoot once a week. Right now I've slowed down on the centerfire little and have been sticking to the .22's for cost. I would like to get back to shooting about 500rds .40 and 200rds 5.56 a month.

J
Old 12-11-2009, 13:35   #19
mteagle1

I've got a Dillon 550 mounted on a board clamped to the kitchen table. No longer keep records but it's 10K+ 45ACP another 5K+ 9MM and a couple K 5.56.
101st Airborne 1957-60
USAF 1961-80 Retired
mteagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 14:26   #20
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

My single stage presses can be operated quietly, if not silently. My progressive presses are entirely too noisy for an apartment -- particularly if one is on some floor other than the first.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:32   #21
stengun

Howdy jstang,

I reloaded before when I lived in an apartment.

What I did was I took a piece of 3/4" plywood about 12"x18' and using countersunk 1/4" bolts mounted the press, a RCBS single stage Partner press, to the piece of plywood. Then I took a piece a carpet that I got form a place like Home Depot and glued it to the back side of the plywood.

I then used cheap 6" C-clamps to clamp my press to the bar in the kitchen. I used this for about 18 monthes until I bought a house and during this time loaded over 5,000rds of 40cal and 45ACP with this setup. It worked great and some where in my shop, I still have the carpeted plywood base.

Paul
stengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:01   #22
9x45

Really doesn't take much space at all. Here is a Dillon Square Deal setup which is 18" deep and 36" across (the 45 degree brace).

Last edited by 9x45; 07-25-2010 at 13:02..
9x45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 13:25   #23
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x45 View Post
Really doesn't take much space at all. Here is a Dillon Square Deal setup which is 18" deep and 36" across (the 45 degree brace).
nice set up. a progressive like the SDB and the 550B don't take up more more room than a single stage. and If you consider the fact that the SDB and 550 have the measure ontop of the press not taking up additional room on your loading bench.
Old 12-12-2009, 21:52   #24
chris in va

FWIW all my reloading equipment fits in a 18"x18" box. I sit and reload while watching a movie or something.

Have a look at the Lee Hand Press kit.

BTW no need for a tumbler, I clean my brass by dumping them in a small bucket then swishing in a solution of warm water, vinegar and salt. Gets all the dirt off! Not pretty like polished brass but I haven't had any issues after about 2000 rounds reloaded.

Last edited by chris in va; 12-12-2009 at 21:54..
chris in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:26   #25
mteagle1

Another choice would be the Midway portable reloading stand, it has replaceable tables and came with a drill pattern for different tools. The top of the table is approx 24" off the floor, I've got 1 stand and 3 tables for my shotgun presses.
101st Airborne 1957-60
USAF 1961-80 Retired
mteagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote