Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2009, 14:11   #1
rogerthedodger

Unsafe Gun? CW9

There is a post on another website which I am posting here. If anyone has had this experience, we all need to know about it.
Thank you, Roger

In no way am I bashing Kahr or anyone who owns one. But today I got off work and decided to clean my Kahr CW9(as I do once or twice a week). As I drew it out of my holster and ejected the mag, I started to pull the slide back and suddenly the gun went off. In no way was my finger by the trigger. I was shocked because I have had 0 problems with it not even a jam. So I had to replace some drywall and thankfully the police were not called. I sold my gun about 3 hours after this happened because honestly I am not comfortable with carrying a weapon that has accidently fired. Not safe to me or anyone around me. On a brighter note I did buy a Ruger LCP. Anyway thats my terrible story of the day. I just Thank God that no one was hurt and that it happened at home and not out in public.
Old 12-11-2009, 15:10   #2
geronimo509

tell the guy thanks for selling a defective gun (if it actually was the gun and not him).

So did it fire out of battery? I am very skeptical!
geronimo509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 16:01   #3
toddmog

I'd like to know the whole/true story.
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 17:19   #4
rogerthedodger

It's on Defensivecarry.com under defensive guns, title "no longer a Kahr owner". Read all, I am hoping it's a fluke, or op error.
Roger
Old 12-12-2009, 12:36   #5
cziv

Doesn't look like just the Kahrs - http://www.wtov9.com/news/21866969/detail.html
Beretta Club #3, Smith & Wesson Club #777
Kahr Club #7777, Ruger Club #777
Snubbie Club #777, SNS Club #777

cziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:59   #6
Jim Watson

Quote:
I sold my gun about 3 hours after this happened because honestly
I always wonder in these cases, what do you say to the buyer when you are selling a gun you know for sure is defective? This one dangerously defective.

There is a thread on another board by an "expert witness" who says Kahrs are bad, bad, bad, because they can be tied up by brass shavings. I have seen the like in other brands, though.
Old 12-12-2009, 13:03   #7
cziv

Yep, full disclosure has to be made or you're headed for potential disaster.

I think he did - I'm on that forum too (that he mentioned).

I'll be cleaning my upper really well with the PDF from Kahr (or wherever I got it at)

Old 12-12-2009, 14:06   #8
ripley16

Quote:
I started to pull the slide back and suddenly the gun went off.
I am very skeptical of this "AD" post. I suspect he pulled the trigger.

Quote:
There is a thread on another board by an "expert witness" who says Kahrs are bad, bad, bad, because they can be tied up by brass shavings. I have seen the like in other brands, though.
That knucklehead has proven to be a, shall we say, less than honest "expert". I'd pay him no mind...looks like someone needing attention anyway thay can find it.
ripley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 17:18   #9
artificialgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
I am very skeptical of this "AD" post. I suspect he pulled the trigger.

That knucklehead has proven to be a, shall we say, less than honest "expert". I'd pay him no mind...looks like someone needing attention anyway thay can find it.
I am on that forum as well and can attest to the Kahr "expert" being nothing more than a hyperactive troll with an axe to grind against Kahr. I honestly don't know why the mods there haven't banned him yet.
artificialgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 18:00   #10
Gideon46

I for one don't believe the guy's post. I'm on that forum and read it too and it sounds hokey, like he's not telling the whole story. It doesn't even sound plausible and he never says he disclosed it. We'll never know for sure but I think he was just making it all up and having some fun.
Gideon
Gideon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 20:06   #11
cziv

From his post on defensivecarry.com:

Quote:
I disclosed the problem. It was sold to an friend who's father is a gun smith. I sold it very cheap and he said that he would have his father look at before he tried to shoot it. I don't know what the problem was. I cleaned and loaded the gun about a week and a half before this happened. Everything worked just fine. Then only thing I can think I have done different recently is used snap caps during some drills drawing from a shoulder holster.
BTW, why don't you guys believe him? Why would he volutarily post about this and then lie? I must be missing something.

Last edited by cziv; 12-12-2009 at 20:19..
Old 12-12-2009, 20:25   #12
ripley16

Quote:
BTW, why don't you guys believe him? Why would he volutarily post about this and then lie? I must be missing something.
I don't believe his story because he says he goes to rack the slide and the gun just goes off. The striker block is released only by pulling the trigger. I think he unknowingly pulled the trigger. I believe the problem was a momentary lapse of safe gun handling...not a problem with the pistol. But that's just an opinion, I wasn't there.
ripley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 20:48   #13
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
I don't believe his story because he says he goes to rack the slide and the gun just goes off. The striker block is released only by pulling the trigger. I think he unknowingly pulled the trigger. I believe the problem was a momentary lapse of safe gun handling...not a problem with the pistol. But that's just an opinion, I wasn't there.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. How one can set off a primer while pulling the slide back is kinda beyond me. Wasn't there either, but this does seem a bit strange.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 20:55   #14
cziv

Ahh - the light just went on! It's freaking imposible to have a round go off when the slide is off the round. Whether you're there or not - BS.

Like you got called out on Defensivecarry.com rogerthedodger - "pics or it never hapened!"

Old 12-14-2009, 09:41   #15
mitchg233

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1151616

could be the same guy, spending WAY too much time fooling around on the internet.
mitchg233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31   #16
outerlimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cziv View Post
Ahh - the light just went on! It's freaking imposible to have a round go off when the slide is off the round. Whether you're there or not - BS.

Like you got called out on Defensivecarry.com rogerthedodger - "pics or it never hapened!"
I don't believe the guy's story, but unless I'm mistaken the round is still held against the breech by the extractor until the other side of the casing hits the ejector. The only way I could plausibly see his story being true is if there was a stuck/broken firing pin making contact with the primer and pulling back the slide somehow possibly caused more pressure to be exerted from the stuck pin against the primer, possibly when the case made contact with the ejector and was not extracted right away because the bullet was longer since it was a live round and not a spent casing?

Or maybe I'm just thinking too deeply into an attention seeker's posting on a different board.
outerlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:32   #17
Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerlimit View Post
I don't believe the guy's story, but unless I'm mistaken the round is still held against the breech by the extractor until the other side of the casing hits the ejector. The only way I could plausibly see his story being true is if there was a stuck/broken firing pin making contact with the primer and pulling back the slide somehow possibly caused more pressure to be exerted from the stuck pin against the primer, possibly when the case made contact with the ejector and was not extracted right away because the bullet was longer since it was a live round and not a spent casing?

Or maybe I'm just thinking too deeply into an attention seeker's posting on a different board.
If it happened the way you postulate, the gun would have gone off with the round either partially in the chamber (ouch! that's going to leave a mark) or almost completely extracted, in which case where did the bullet go?
Old 12-16-2009, 17:17   #18
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerlimit View Post
I don't believe the guy's story, but unless I'm mistaken the round is still held against the breech by the extractor until the other side of the casing hits the ejector.........
You're correct, it is. My bad for not thinking that through.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 14:16   #19
1smoothredneck

I had a P9 which fired while slightly out of battery, and blew out the side plate on the grip frame, and very slightly bruised my hand. I was very fortunate. I was in the process of firing, however. It just wasn't all the way in battery, which was not too unusual for that piece. That was the first and last time that happened to me. I now have a G27 in it's place.
1smoothredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:46   #20
JohnJak
sadly spent

Sir, I do not believe your story and I hope the person that you sold it to sues the hell out of you.
Old 01-02-2010, 21:24   #21
MasterShake
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
Sir, I do not believe your story and I hope the person that you sold it to sues the hell out of you.
I second that!
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:50   #22
grumpybutt

A gun can be unsafe in a lot of peoples hands, "no gun goes off by itself" you'll never get me to believe that.
Old 01-13-2010, 18:14   #23
jsm190

The part I don't get is how it set off the round since Kahrs are like Glocks in that the striker is not fully cocked until you pull the trigger. Must be the ammos fault as the primer must have been paper thin to go off with that light of strike. Something fishy here.
Old 01-16-2010, 22:43   #24
KahrBoy

On the other hand if true, you sold a known defective gun to an unsuspecting person... :(
KahrBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 23:48   #25
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I always wonder in these cases, what do you say to the buyer when you are selling a gun you know for sure is defective?
"It's a great gun! Goes bang every time you pull the trigger. And sometimes you don't even have to pull the trigger."
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote