Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:22   #1
CAInstructorTX

Any 686s out there?

Got a 686P (7shot) 2.5" a couple of years back. All I have done to it is a Wolff reduced power mainspring, and a Pachmayr Compac Professional grip. Started with a Hogue hardwood grip, in the interest of tradition I guess you could say, but something about that tiny Pachmayr grip just seems, well, cool. That's all on mine, just curious as to who else has the good old Smitty Distinguished Combat Magnum, and what you've done to yours.

By the way, for over two years, I had NEVER had a malfunction with this firearm. Then earlier this year I bought a box of Remington Golden Saber hollow points on a whim, and in 50 rounds I had 11 failure to fires. Out of those 11, I was able to get 5 of them to light off on single action. I stored the 6 remaining. I checked with Wolff, and they said that even with the reduced power mainspring, it shouldn't lite-strike ANY commerically available primers, but to check and make sure the strain screw was tightened. I did so, and found it just a little loose, so I tightened it back up and went to the range. STILL, I was only able to get 3 of the 6 to go off, even on single action. I looked around the net, and have heard of instances of this happening, and the there is a possibility that Rem uses hard primers in these rounds. No way to know for sure, as Rem doesn't mention any "hard primers" used in their product line. So yeah. Many thousands of rounds through my baby, and 11 of these rounds gave her the hiccups.

sorry for the long post
CAInstructorTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 13:38   #2
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Have you replaced the spring with a new factory weight spring?
Old 12-13-2009, 14:10   #3
CAInstructorTX

no, still have the wolff in. Fired many many rounds since this problem, and no more malfunctions. Wolff says it'll trip all commercial ammo, and Remington won't admit to using hard primers, so I don't know. I'm just steering clear of that particular brand. I only bought it because it was all they had at the time in the place I happened to be. I blew compressed air into the gun to see if maybe there was some gunk slowing down the action, but nothing came out. Like I said, I only had problems with about 11 of those rounds, every other one went off fine, so maybe it was isolated.
Old 12-13-2009, 17:00   #4
Mike2x
Enthusiast

Still own the first handgun I bought in 1980. 686 6" barrel, stainless, action job. Smooth as silk. Pachmayr presentation grips. Millett rear sight. It loves the old Remington 140gr sjhp .357 In fact, my avitar is my oldest daughter at 16 firing that same 686.

Last edited by Mike2x; 12-13-2009 at 17:02.. Reason: for content
Mike2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 17:55   #5
DasBulk

I don't have one. But I wouldn't mind if you just gave me yours for Christmas.
DasBulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 19:49   #6
den888

I bought my 686 in 1984, sold it in 2008. I put probably over 6000 full .357 magnum rounds through that 686 (there is some small cutting on the top strap). It still shot well the day I sold it. I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on mine, I polished the satin finish to shiny and I added Pachmayr Gripper grips. I loved that 686 !
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:57   #7
Stainz

I bought a new 5" half lug 686+, a 'Stocking Dealer Exclusive', in late '04. It came with a HiViz front sight, V-notch rear sight, and Ahrends square conversion/finger grooved cocobolo stocks standard. The real odd part was the price - $10 less than the in-stock 4" 686+! Oddly, I had bought a closeout priced new 6" 66 the year before - and equipped it the very same way... love that HiViz and those Ahrends.

I have resprung my new S&W revolvers for years and they all behave similarly: a 'standard power' Wolff leaf spring is 100% reliable with all primers while a 'reduced power' leaf marries you to Federal primers for 100% reliability. I have also found that S&W strain screws over the last odd years have had a more turned down end - some, like the 'JM' or 'Pro' series, have had a filed end - an odd method of reducing the trigger pull. The problem is that said screw will intrude into the hollow back of the 'Power Rib' of the Wolff spring - lessening the pre-load on the spring and thus, the hammer strike energy. A new full length strain screw generally fixes that problem. Still, for reliability, I go with the full power Wolff in my home protection & CCWs.

The 7-shot HKS #587 speedloaders work fine with the 686+, with .38 or .357 Magnums. BTW, mine may have been tested with 'real' .357 Magnums at S&W, but it has only seen my glorified .38-level reloads in .357 Magnum cases, my favorites being 125gr JHPs @ ~900 fps from the 5" 686+. I bought mine because it was the first 686 variant I had seen with a partial lug - which I prefer over the fully lugged revolvers. I like shooting .38s and buy .357 Magnums because they have a better selection - and come in 7 & 8 shooter variants, too. I've neither loaded a 'real' .357 Magnum nor bought a commercial .357 Magnum round. I do have 'real' .44 Magnums when I need to make some noise, however.

Stainz

Last edited by Stainz; 12-20-2009 at 07:01..
Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 17:00   #8
CAInstructorTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBulk View Post
I don't have one. But I wouldn't mind if you just gave me yours for Christmas.

sorry, not hat-nin. You can still shoot it if you want though, I'll make you a deal, if you can line me up a Heinie Longslide 10mm, I might talk a trade. HAHA
Old 12-24-2009, 17:03   #9
trickyvic

Don't have one yet, but I did order a 4" 617 yesterday and plan on getting a 4" 686 to match it sometime in January.
Old 12-24-2009, 17:19   #10
CAInstructorTX

The 617 is a good gun for the 22. Nice and heavy, and with a longer barrel, offers real good accuracy. Plus it's kinda nice to have 10 little screamers on hand if need be, and don't let anyone tell you a 22 is wimpy. Well, it kinda is, but I still wouldn't argue with someone pointing one at me, and I'm not sure anyone else would either. But anyway, good gun, cheap to shoot. You won't be dissapointed with the 686 either. I would actually, believe it or not, advise against getting the one I got. I like the 7 shot cylinder, but thinking back on it, I might rather have had the 3 or 4 inch barrel, mine's a 2.5. You give up a little accuracy and velocity with the shorter barrel and sight radius. Still a good up close gun, but don't kid yourself into thinking it's a tackdriver. Short barreled revolvers are, and always will be, more accurate than people think. I'd put my 2.5 inch snubbie in a rest and shoot it head to head against a 4inch gun, and the results I don't think would be that drastically different, the difference is in the shooter/sight radius manipulation. Good for self defense, but I kinda wish I had a long barrel to take to the range, the 2.5 just takes a little too much effort to make really fancy groups. Anyway, I'm ramblin, good choice in guns, and good choice in future gun. Later.
Old 12-24-2009, 17:31   #11
380Seecamp

Any 686s out there?

One of my favorite revolvers.

Smith & Wesson Club
380Seecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 13:42   #12
DasBulk

Wait a minute... I see a Colt.
Old 12-26-2009, 14:58   #13
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380Seecamp View Post
One of my favorite revolvers.

Smith & Wesson Club
Quote:
Wait a minute... I see a Colt.
There's no Colts in that pic.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 14:58   #14
bac1023

Just picked up this beauty today.

Smith & Wesson Club

Smith & Wesson Club
Old 12-26-2009, 15:41   #15
380Seecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Just picked up this beauty today.

Smith & Wesson Club
It's a beaut all right! Can't have too many 686s.
380Seecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 17:25   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380Seecamp View Post
It's a beaut all right! Can't have too many 686s.
Thanks. Its actually my first 686, but I own several S&W revolvers.
Old 12-26-2009, 19:06   #17
MinervaDoe

I've owned a six inch barrel 686 since 1985. If I want to put up fifty rounds in a ridiculously small group, I'll take it to the range a few times until I get into the zone with it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39   #18
DasBulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
There's no Colts in that pic.

Yeah. You're right. The longer one with the wood grips threw me off.
Old 12-29-2009, 19:11   #19
bac1023

Quote:

Yeah. You're right. The longer one with the wood grips threw me off.
That does look a bit like an 8" Python or Anaconda except there is no barrel ribs.
Old 12-30-2009, 15:34   #20
J_Rico

Wanted one since I shot my buddies 686 (20+ years ago). Seen them off and on and always talked myself out of it.

Decided it was time and bought one earlier this week for a late Christmas present to me. Should get here tomorrow I hope.

686-1 4" Can't wait to take it to the range.

Theodore Roosevelt
J_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote