Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2009, 14:09   #1
MCSGT

Career in the U.S. Army

So here I am, a 27 year old police officer and Marine vet (01-05). I've used the GI Bill and have a few classes before I graduate from college with a BS degree. I am not satisfied with civilian life. I guess I never really hung up the military. I'm seriously thinking about graduating and applying for OCS and trying to get into an artillary or other mechanized infantry unit. Anyone know any Marines that came over to the "dark side" (Army)? If I get back into the military it would be for the long haul and I would retire after my 20-30 years of service. Good idea? Bad idea?
Old 12-18-2009, 18:44   #2
AF-Odin

Know of a number of Marines who have come over to the Army around the Ft Hood area. Several were enlisted to enlisted cross-overs, a couple of enlisted to officer cross-overs (both Warrant and Commissioned), don't personally know any officer to officer cross-overs.

Finish the degree and go OCS.
Old 12-19-2009, 23:36   #3
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

MCSGT,
i currently serve as an ARMY company commander and have approximately 5 Soldiers who were prior Marines. 4 are enlisted to enlisted cross-overs and one is enlisted to officer (my XO). most of my enlisted Soliders switched to get out of the infantry world. my XO switched for a quicker commission. not sure how much quicker it was but he seems to like it over on this side.

i agree w/ AF-Odin... finish the degree and go OCS. either way it sounds like you want back in!

let me know if you have any specific questions and i can pass them along.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
:patriot:

Last edited by CPT_CRUNCH; 12-19-2009 at 23:38.. Reason: typo
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:02   #4
MCSGT

Getting a commission in the Army would be a lot quicker then if I try to get it in the Corps. I think I'm set on finishing up college. 6 classes are going to take me a year since I'm working practically full time and have a kid on the way. My wife is supportive which also helps.

I may have an issue getting back in though. When I was 18 in 2000 and enlisted while attending high school my recruiter did some shady things. The recruiter was brand new and was telling his recruits not to worry about drug waivers. I tried pot twice between the age of 13-15 but was told not to worry about it. This same recruiter got in trouble for this type of behavior.

If I re-enlist I'll have to go through MEPS again and dont want to lie on the enlistment papers. I just worry this will affect my ability to get back in. Any thoughts?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:34   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGT View Post
Anyone know any Marines that came over to the "dark side" (Army)?
Are you kidding? About every 3rd or 4th person you talk to in the Army that is E5 or higher used to be a Marine - even more so in the reserves than active duty, since the Marines don't have a lot of reserve opportunities. My current detachment of 34 NCO's has at least 6 or 7 former Marines and I've never been to a school where my squad/class/group didn't have a few former Marines. My home reserve unit has about 12 drill sergeants and 2 or 3 of them use to be Marines.

Like others said, the Army has a lot more opportunities for officers, different jobs and training and, as the Marines keep reminding us, we get all the new cool gear.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57   #6
army.matt

I wouldnt worry so much about the pot thing. Just be honest and really talk to recruiter cause they can help you out w/ just about anything. Ive known a coulpe marines who went army and for the most part they were satisfied with benifits and things like that.
army.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:54   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGT View Post
If I re-enlist I'll have to go through MEPS again and dont want to lie on the enlistment papers. I just worry this will affect my ability to get back in. Any thoughts?
There are things they WANT to know and things they'd rather not do the paperwork on.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote