SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2009, 18:21   #1
ajgranda

Ed Brown Executive Carry?

Hi,

Anyone own or shot an EB Executive Carry? Opinions? I thought about a Les Baer, but I prefer the bobbed housing. Is it worth the price of admission? I'm thinking of putting one on layaway until I can come up with all the cash. This will be a CCW.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 18:25   #2
The Pusherman
officer mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
Hi,

Anyone own or shot an EB Executive Carry? Opinions? I thought about a Les Baer, but I prefer the bobbed housing. Is it worth the price of admission? I'm thinking of putting one on layaway until I can come up with all the cash. This will be a CCW.
Thanks
i love the ed browns (don't own one unfortunately) but i would not choose an all steel full or commander size 1911 for carry. too heavy for me. lot of nice commander size alloy frame 1911's out there.
The Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 18:28   #3
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
All Ed Brown's are built to the same spec, just different cosmetic styles. I personally think Ed Brown does the best job with commander sized 1911's of anybody, especially if you like bobtails. That said, I've seen Baer Commanche's that were bobbed and look very nice. Baer Commanche's use 5" government frame rail spec's and as such very often won't slingshot, so if that's a issue for your manual of arms then you may want to look elsewhere.
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 18:32   #4
Quack
Rent this space

with the right holster & belt, the extra weight isn't that noticeable.
since it's winter now, i carry my Korba Carry most of the time. During the summer, my EMP gets carried more.

when i went through the search of a bob-tailed carry 1911, it led me to the Kobra Carry, Wilson Professional and the dealer also had a Les Baer Commanche. Of the guns that were there, the Kobra carry (IMO) was the best of them.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 18:37   #5
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

Man that's awesome Quack.
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 18:50   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Many people carry a G19 with little to no complaints.
My Ed Brown Kobra Carry is 10 ounces heavier than a G19.

With the right holster, I have an Andrews McDaniel II and soon to carry in a Brommeland Max-Con V.
For me, the Kobra weight is not an issue, even in Florida. My other CCW is a G30 in a MTAC.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 18:56   #7
Quack
Rent this space

Thanks OM.

and here's a John Harrison's take on Les Baer's Commander sized pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harrison
I am not assuming to speak for Baer, but would offer this guess. They are not taking the extra steps needed to give their shorter guns full Commander spec rearward travel because it would require several additional steps in machining and manufacture. It might require stocking extra Commander spec components. I am guessing that they choose to leave these steps off because they think their shorter guns run okay without the full rearward travel that Commanders have. Some of them do and clearly, some don't. As far as I know, they are the only manufacturer that takes this short cut. Why they do it is none of my business.

The Commander (even when built to Colt specs) has a little over .100" less rearward travel than a Government Model. When you start taking away rearward travel, you change the point where the empty case is brought into contact with the ejector as well as how much more travel beyond that point is available. When you change the Commander system by leaving the recoil spring seat at the Gov't Model location, you take away another .100" of rearward travel. I'm not an engineer, but I know that if you don't let the case meet the ejector about .450" or more before the slide stops, then the energy that is smacking the case rim and launching the empty out of the pistol is reduced and ejection consistency and reliability will suffer.

I have reached the conclusion that in most Commanders and Officers pistols, the ejector nose should be approx. .280" forward of the front mounting leg. That's what I've measured from a number of Colt Commanders. Not all aftermarket ejectors have a nose that long. When you use an ejector with this nose length, you may have difficulty ejecting live rounds and need extra clearance at the front wall of the ejection port.

To make a non-spec gun to Commander spec takes a boring bar operation to face back the seat for the recoil spring guide by .100" to make it Commander spec. The lower barrel feet also have to be reshaped to Commander spec by removing a bit of steel from the front face, so it doesn't bump into the back side of the spring guide. The "button" in the center rear of the spring guide must be shortened to Commander spec for the same reason. Finally, the ejector should be set up as mentioned earlier.
just some food for thought.
Old 12-20-2009, 19:11   #8
ajgranda

Thanks Quack, that is one of the reasons why I prefer a Commander sized EB over a LB. I've used the slingshot method my entire shooting career and don't want to change now.
Old 12-20-2009, 19:16   #9
Quack
Rent this space

where are you looking to buy one?
George at www.migunslingers.com seems like a good place to deal with (prices & service). he also has layaway, even on custom orders.
Old 12-20-2009, 19:29   #10
ajgranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
where are you looking to buy one?
George at www.migunslingers.com seems like a good place to deal with (prices & service). he also has layaway, even on custom orders.
Yep, that's the place. Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 19:30   #11
Quack
Rent this space

thinking of getting another one soon
Old 12-20-2009, 20:12   #12
willis68

Quote:
Go for it, I have bought 10 guns from George, The Executive Carry is an awesome pistol and he will get you a great price, the price of admission is most definitely worth it
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC
willis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 20:35   #13
Ruggles

Quote:
Yep yep that is the place. Great guy.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 20:44   #14
bac1023

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
The Executive Carry is identical to the Kobra Carry, but has traditional serrations and checkering instead of the snakeskin pattern.

I love my Kobra Carry.

1911 Forums
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:30   #15
ajgranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
thinking of getting another one soon
I wish!! I have about 50% saved up now, so I would do a layaway. It's funny how I keep going up in price for my first 1911. I started thinking in the 1K-1200 range. Now look where I've ended up . I figure I'm better off saving up and getting that "perfect" 1911 now. George does have an Executive Carry in stock which I really like, but it came without the test fired shell casing required by NY. I will probably have to order one that's NY compliant. Not that I'm in a rush, because it's going to take me a few months to come up with all that MULA . Thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 08:31   #16
ajgranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
The Executive Carry is identical to the Kobra Carry, but has traditional serrations and checkering instead of the snakeskin pattern.

I love my Kobra Carry.

1911 Forums
Again!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:40   #17
beretta-neo

I personally don't like the shortened rearstrap of the bobtail when I hold it. I looked at some bobbed Ed Browns, but went with a fullsize model instead.

But man, they sure do look sweet with that bobtail!

1911 Forums
beretta-neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:45   #18
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
George does have an Executive Carry in stock which I really like, but it came without the test fired shell casing required by NY. I will probably have to order one that's NY compliant.

Tell George to take it out and put a few rounds through it and sell it to you as a used pistol.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:58   #19
Quack
Rent this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Tell George to take it out and put a few rounds through it and sell it to you as a used pistol.
Old 12-21-2009, 13:14   #20
ajgranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Sounds good, and since it will be used, he can knock off a couple hundred dollars.