Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2009, 16:38   #1
Mofeen

Any recommendations for Tritium bead on 870?

I am looking for a Tritium bead to go on my 870 Tac-2. My eyes just cant see the stock one very well. My 870 is for HD and fun out in the yard. The only tritium front bead I have been able to find so far is the one made by XS.

Anyone used it before? Any others that I should check out?

Thanks.
Mofeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:24   #2
n2wishn
Stamp Collector

If I recall correctly, Ameriglo makes sights for the barrel with the rifled sights, XS is the only one for the beed and Trijicon makes ghost ring sights that replace the beed on the front and adds the ghost ring at the back of the receiver. So I think XS is probably your only option for keeping the beed intact.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30   #3
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

I went with a front/rear Tritium set up from Wilson Combat.
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns

$145 for the set.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:40   #4
hk1286

Meprolight use to make a tru dot bead with trituim insert. Check Midway.
hk1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 13:35   #5
aippi

Go with the XS big dot. It installs very easy as it fits right over your existing bead and is shaped to the ramp. Use a very strong adhesive and ruff up the area under on the ramp under the sight and the bottom of the sight till you see metal. this way you get a metal to metal bond instead of a finish to finish.

They sell for $60 anywhere. I install plenty of these and have never had one come off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:31   #6
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
I went with a front/rear Tritium set up from Wilson Combat.
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns

$145 for the set.

Im looking at these for the same shotgun you own. Did you install them yourself? If so, how did you do it? Did it come with epoxy for the front sight, and how does the rear attach? Thanks ahead of time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Facebook Fanpage:

Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors

Fireman1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 16:45   #7
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

It was the Trak-Lock II Ghost Ring, Tritium Front and Rear, 12 ga.
SGTL2-TFR-12 Price: $139.95

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_traklock.asp

I had my smith put them on. The front sight was put on with epoxy.
(The original bead is still under the new front sight)

The rear sight was put on after the receiver was drilled and tapped. I made a really nice shotgun into a really great shotgun.

I have also installed a new speedfeed forend on my 870 as of yesterday.

Tactical Shotguns

Post pics of yours when you are done with it.

Old 12-23-2009, 18:02   #8
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
It was the Trak-Lock II Ghost Ring, Tritium Front and Rear, 12 ga.
SGTL2-TFR-12 Price: $139.95

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_traklock.asp

I had my smith put them on. The front sight was put on with epoxy.
(The original bead is still under the new front sight)

The rear sight was put on after the receiver was drilled and tapped. I made a really nice shotgun into a really great shotgun.

I have also installed a new speedfeed forend on my 870 as of yesterday.

Tactical Shotguns

Post pics of yours when you are done with it.

Crap. Mine is the new 870 HD's that come with the speedfeed forearm, I would have given you my old one for the cost of shipping as I just ordered the shorty Houge stock/forearm set.

I ordered the Mesa tactical 6 rd holder and the houge stock set that shortens the length of pull by 2". Next will be the scattergun sights, and then a surefire forearm later down the road.

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 12-25-2009, 16:18   #9
aippi

Mofeen, take my advice on the XS Big Dot. You asked about a Tritium bead for your wepaon and that is the best one. All these other responses had nothing to do with your question and GR's have no place on a fighting shotgun but are fine for recreational shooters. I don't want to start a GR -v- all other sights in the world thread but you started on the right track and don't let others knock you off the tracks. Big Dot XS for your Remington Tactical.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 12-25-2009, 16:22   #10
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Mofeen, take my advice on the XS Big Dot. You asked about a Tritium bead for your wepaon and that is the best one. All these other responses had nothing to do with your question and GR's have no place on a fighting shotgun but are fine for recreational shooters. I don't want to start a GR -v- all other sights in the world thread but you started on the right track and don't let others knock you off the tracks. Big Dot XS for your Remington Tactical.
What height ladder do you use? To get up on your horse?

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 12-26-2009, 07:35   #11
Mofeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Already on order from XS! Can't wait to test it out. I took your advice on the sling thread that you commented on a few weeks back. Got my Rocky Mountain Tactical Summit and I love it (not for HD though!). Thanks so much again.
Mofeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 16:23   #12
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Here is my 870 with the new forearm.
Tactical Shotguns

Old 12-26-2009, 17:05   #13
aippi

Cool beans. You are building a fighting shotgun and have avoided the pitfalls of "Tacti-cool" or as I call it "Tacti-fool.

Hey, fireman. I don't use a ladder to get on my horse. He bows down in my presence and I climb on.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 12-26-2009, 19:11   #14
silversport

I have read JD's responses on this Forum and elsewhere...a man who has his own company making fighting shotguns from the Remington 870...I have read his answers to many people who look to the errornet to get approval or answers to what they think they want on a shotgun...

...I see that aippi gives straight, honest answers to these questions...he will tell you what you need according to his experience but it is an experience shared by many who know...can you add a lot of fluff to a shotgun...sure but JD doesn't recommend it...

...looking at posts here and elsewhere your shotgun should have lights, strobes, GPS, slings, bayonets, sophisticated targeting systems and 19 shot magazines...JD just says, get an 870 (any model will do) keep the barrel short and get a bead for HD...slings need not apply...

...JD's advice seems to cost him money but he gives it anyway...take a look at his site...he has all sorts of answers there for the looking and learning (if you are so inclined) free of charge...heed it or don't...your choice...

...I find guys who are knowledgeable, who give advice, born of life experience that give the advice even though it won't help his bottom line honorable and appreciate it...Thanks JD and those like you...damn few left...

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 23:04   #15
aippi

Silversport, thank you for the compliments. Even my own employees tell me I need to shut up and learn to make money and my lady friend just shakes her head when she hears me on the phone talking some guy out of GR's for his home defense weapon he wants me to build. I make $40 just to install them and it takes me about 15 minutes. I don't mind doing it for recreational shooters and shotguns that are just for showing off at the range, but on an HD, hell no.

I get beat down sometimes by the Tacti-fool callers who want a lot of mess and I often just tell them I can't build them a weapon.

Hearing that somone understands what these weapons are turely for goes a long way to keep me on track. Thanks, and yell if you ever need anything Remington.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 12-28-2009, 11:41   #16
rustythebailiff

Re: the XS Big Dot

I'm sold on the XS Big Dot for my 870, but I want to make sure I install it correctly. Aippi said to rough up the finish on the barrel and sight, down to the metal. The barrel I have is parkerized (a Rem 18 1/2 ImpCyl, actually purchased from AI&P). Do I take the parkerizing on the barrel down to the metal, or will it be rough and strong enough to take the epoxy itself?

Thanks for the input, definately lots of experience here. Gonna enjoy being a member.

Rusty
rustythebailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:59   #17
silversport

you are welcome...thanks for helping us out...
Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07   #18
rustythebailiff

aippi, in reference to roughing up the barrel and sight base to mount the XS, I have a parkerized barrel with the elevated bead. Should I polish the parkerizing down also, so there will be metal to metal contact?

Thanks for the input, it helped me make a decision on the correct front sight for my Express.

Rusty
rustythebailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 17:15   #19
aippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustythebailiff View Post
aippi, in reference to roughing up the barrel and sight base to mount the XS, I have a parkerized barrel with the elevated bead. Should I polish the parkerizing down also, so there will be metal to metal contact?

Thanks for the input, it helped me make a decision on the correct front sight for my Express.

Rusty
Yes, I place the Big Dot on the ramp and outline it with pencil then remove it and scape all the finish off inside the pencil line. I just put 4 on some Michigan state Police 870 for them and I used that new Loc-tite 380 Black Max adhesive. So MSP will be the test weapons and if those Big Dots can survive those cops banging the hell out of them for a few months, I know the Loc-tite will work.

When I install the Trijicon front site I do the same thing but use a dremil to remove the area inside the pencil lines since the area is so large. I then use my blast cabinet to remove the finish from the base of the sight I am going to install. I use the epoxy that comes with the sights. I have done dozens of these and have never had one come off or I am sure the client would have called to complain.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 12-29-2009, 17:17   #20
cmspeedy

rusty I didn't rough up mine and I have never had a problem. JB weld is serious stuff - I use it at work all the time. I would need vice grips to remove mine - if I even could. You don't need much epoxy - don't overdo it.

I love my xs Big Dot front beads. Great home defense setup IMO.
"It's not that the democrats are playing checkers, and the republicans are playing chess. No, it's that the republicans are playing chess, and the democrats are in the nurses' office because they glued their balls to their thighs." Jon Stewart
cmspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote