SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:19   #1
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Finally bagged a deer!

Gun season ends in just a few days here, and yet again I haven't managed to get out there. My neighbor bowhunts on a lease, and last year I passed on a bad shot.
I called him yesterday, he was already on his way to the lease but turned around to pick me up. I grabbed the rifle and a flashlight.
At 5:05 I saw three nice doe and three fawns. I pulled the trigger on the largest doe and they all scattered. I was afraid that I had made a bad shot and had a wounded animal out there. My neighbor from the next stand over called and said I should go after her.
I was looking for footprints in the snow but there was a huge blood trail and I found her easily- the shot went right where I wanted it and the .30-'06 put her down in twenty yards or so.
Anyway I'm ecstatic- she weighed 100 pounds and I've got a lot of meat in the fridge!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:30   #2
vafish

Congrats,

It's a good feeling to have some meat in the freezer.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:33   #3
grecco

Congrats!
Old 12-22-2009, 14:17   #4
noway

congrats

Good job and the proven 30-06 does a great job on deer
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 14:40   #5
TPK

Way to go ! What kind of Deer are you hunting down there? White Tails or Black Tails? From the weight I'm guessing Black Tail. Mmmmm fresh liver and heart.
TPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 16:15   #6
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

White tail here in the Piedmont. They get smallish toward the coast and thick necked near the mountains. My understanding is that my deer was a 'pretty average' doe. In the scope she was the biggest in the group, and the folks remarked that she had above average subcutaneous fat- sign of a harsh winter here.

I'm going to make jerkey from one ham and my brother in law to be wants the other. We'll keep the backstrap and other meat.

My neighbor said to keep the meat in the fridge for seven days before freezer- how do y'all feel about this and if you don't mind I'd appreciate recipes.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2009, 19:01   #7
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Gun season just opened here and it closes in January but we can take pigs all year, so I hope to get 3 or 4 of them and a deer or two. I may go this weekend, but probably after New Year holiday.
Old 12-23-2009, 19:14   #8
bambikilr

i let my deer bleed out in an ice chest for 2 or three days, boning them out as i go, drain bloody water out everyday & add another bag of ice, have done it to up to a week, because of work, deer does not have the fat that beef does, so aging isn't that important, if ya let it bleed out, helps with the gamey taste some don't like
bambikilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 21:13   #9
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambikilr View Post
i let my deer bleed out in an ice chest for 2 or three days, boning them out as i go, drain bloody water out everyday & add another bag of ice, have done it to up to a week, because of work, deer does not have the fat that beef does, so aging isn't that important, if ya let it bleed out, helps with the gamey taste some don't like
I do the same but use one bag of dryice for the 1st 3 days. It will keep things cooler much longer
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:42   #10
steve1911

Congrats!

1911club#410
Old 01-10-2010, 00:40   #11
vGnzlz
9s and 40s

congrats.... i just bagged a doe myself.....about 250or 260yds. my .243 mis-fired in the morning but i borrowed a 30-30 for the evening hunt and bagged a decent size doe....
#333 Lone Star Glockers
vGnzlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29   #12
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambikilr View Post

Good advice. I tend to let it stay at least 5 days though.

A question: Why ruin a good ham for jerky??? Use the neck meat, rib meat and the other meat you bone for the jerky. Tha ham is way too good to be wasted on jerky.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 14:12   #13
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
Good advice. I tend to let it stay at least 5 days though.

A question: Why ruin a good ham for jerky??? Use the neck meat, rib meat and the other meat you bone for the jerky. Tha ham is way too good to be wasted on jerky.
To answer your question-
I hadn't butchered deer before and didn't know how it was going to turn out. I ended up cutting one ham into a roast and many, many steaks. I was very pleased at how well it went- the meat was amazing- just like cutting red tuna. The hams yielded two nice roasts, one of which I used for stew meat. They each yielded four huge chunks of meat which I cut into steaks. Two hunks from each of these hams had a nice medallion in the center of each steak, really nice stuff.
I gave away the shoulders and one backstrap to my neighbor (who let me hunt on his land). I cooked half of one backstrap into a tenderloin Wellington last week, it was fantastic.
Old 01-10-2010, 14:44   #14
Jonesee

Next year, just so you know:

The shoulders, neck and ribs are for jerky and stew meat. The hams are hams and can be cut into steaks. If you follow the sinews of the hindquarter, you will find each will cut into 3 distinct cuts of meat. You obviously got the backstraps out fine. You don't mention what you did with the inner tenderloins (the preacher meat). That is the best cut on the whole deer. I hope you got it.

Good on you for giving the landowner a backstrap. Next year I would give him a ham cut too and stew the shoulder meat instead.

I take it is your first deer. Congrats, you will be hooked now...
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote