Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:13   #181
matteblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by abedwards1978 View Post
will they make a 4 gen glock 19?
Yes, two Glock reps told me at Shot that the G19's should be available Summertime.
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:04   #182
raising_arizona

A slightly smaller-grip G17 sounds like something I would be interested in. I just might have to check out the Gen4 G17.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:20   #183
Forgoten214

Send a message via AIM to Forgoten214 Send a message via Yahoo to Forgoten214
I probably wont get it, I dont really like the new duel recoil spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Forgoten214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:11   #184
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmdude View Post
From a closed thread: "I called Glock and asked them whether the barrels are interchangeable between 3rd and 4th. They told me that they are not."

I guess that rules out changing your G22 Gen 4 to a .357 sig. That is a bummer!
My G22, .357SIG:

Valuable Info

1k rounds through it without a hiccup as of this morning 2/17/10

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 04-13-2010 at 09:19.. Reason: Round count/reliability follow-up
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50   #185
Forgoten214

Looks good, KKM is nice but very expensive. How do you like the new mag release and frame texture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
My G22, .357SIG:

Valuable Info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:15   #186
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgoten214 View Post
Looks good, KKM is nice but very expensive. How do you like the new mag release and frame texture?
They're both excellent! I never handled any of the other RTF frames before but have heard they were uncomfortable. The current texture works perfectly for me as a balance between solid grip and comfort. I had to re-grip the Gen3 G23 after almost every shot. Not so with the Gen4 G22 at all.

I would have loved a factory G31 barrel but couldn't find one in stock. (edit: apparently I didn't look hard enough. Lonewolf has them in stock for the price of a KKM through Brownells) The less expensive alternatives to KKM should be equally as compatible though.

I will say this: I am not a fan of the new guide rod. I have had it cause the slide to stick during field stripping a few times, and this scratched up/chewed up the inside of the frame, just slightly forward of the rear part of the rod. As seen in the following picture, the guide rod often ends up like seated in the slide but otherwise completely free-floating.
Valuable Info
Note that it is not touching the barrel at all. You can see the front end protruding out the front of the slide, which should only be happening once the slide is on the frame. Not really a big deal as long as you keep an eye on it and make sure it's not like this when you slap the slide back onto the frame.

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 04-13-2010 at 09:18.. Reason: added example of guide rod improperly seated
Old 02-18-2010, 05:45   #187
raising_arizona

I posted a question about the recoil spring taking polymer material off of the frame, and just wondered how many of you are seeing this? I'm a little disappointed by it, but if it doesn't get worse it won't bother me that much. I'm guessing that it won't affect function.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14781598
Old 02-18-2010, 05:51   #188
Forgoten214

Quote:
They're both excellent! I never handled any of the other RTF frames before but have heard they were uncomfortable. The current texture works perfectly for me as a balance between solid grip and comfort. I had to re-grip the Gen3 G23 after almost every shot. Not so with the Gen4 G22 at all.

I would have loved a factory G31 barrel but couldn't find one in stock. (edit: apparently I didn't look hard enough. Lonewolf has them in stock for the price of a KKM through Brownells) The less expensive alternatives to KKM should be equally as compatible though.

I will say this: I am not a fan of the new guide rod. I have had it cause the slide to stick during field stripping a few times, and this scratched up/chewed up the inside of the frame, just slightly forward of the rear part of the rod. As seen in the following picture, the guide rod often ends up like seated in the slide but otherwise completely free-floating.
Valuable Info
Note that it is not touching the barrel at all. You can see the front end protruding out the front of the slide, which should only be happening once the slide is on the frame. Not really a big deal as long as you keep an eye on it and make sure it's not like this when you slap the slide back onto the frame.
Yea, I actually just handled one at the store for the first time. Slide got stuck on the frame it was weird. Never experienced that with a Glock before. I ended up cutting my hand trying to fix it and remove the slide. But once I was able to get the slide off It seemed like the new duel recoil spring was abit flimsy. It may just be me I'm not sure.

What is it like to fire it? Does it feel any different?

Racking the slide didn't really seem any different then a Gen3.

I do admit I like the new grip texture and mag release. I'm not certain on the Duel spring system yet though.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:02   #189
raising_arizona

Rusty,
Are these the sort of marks you are seeing? This is how mine came from the store. I'm taking it to the range today, so I'll report back after a few 100 rounds.

Valuable Info

Valuable Info
Old 02-18-2010, 09:08   #190
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising_arizona View Post
Rusty,
Are these the sort of marks you are seeing?
I did notice identical marks yesterday, but they aren't what I was talking about. 5/6 of my Glocks have those.

In my Gen4 I was getting some itty bitty scratches in the circled areas of this pic. (pic is of a gen3 just to show where I was talking about.) Rear disc on the guide rod seems to occasionally snag on the "lip" of these spots sometimes during field stripping. After noticing these spots with metal showing through on my Gen4, like yours, and on all but one of my other Glocks, I think these little scratches I was talking about are nothing of concern. I think I was just really used to the type of guide rod found in the G19 which is almost impossible to seat incorrectly and won't snag on anything.

Valuable Info

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 04-13-2010 at 09:20..
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53   #191
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Rusty,
Are these the sort of marks you are seeing? This is how mine came from the store. I'm taking it to the range today, so I'll report back after a few 100 rounds.

Valuable Info

Valuable Info
There is nothing wrong with your gun. The polymer simply didn't fill all the voids around the metal. Many Glocks are like that. It doesn't mean anything and won't affect the function of the gun.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04   #192
raising_arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
There is nothing wrong with your gun. The polymer simply didn't fill all the voids around the metal. Many Glocks are like that. It doesn't mean anything and won't affect the function of the gun.
Glocks&Ducs
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the one spot that looked kind of rounded. Doesn't look like it was chipped away. I'm sure it will function fine. Did I mention it fits my hand like a glove?

Last edited by raising_arizona; 02-18-2010 at 12:10..
raising_arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 14:36   #193
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I handled a 4th Generation gun for the first time a couple days ago. Honestly, I couldn't really tell that much of a difference in the grip size. I also wasn't too crazy about the RTF3 texture. Really the only thing I liked about it was the new mag release and even that wasn't all that spectacular. The RTF2 guns, on the other hand, feel great in the hand. I think I'll stick with them.
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 16:40   #194
raising_arizona

Are the Gen 4 G17 extractors the same as Gen 3?

I had a quick look through this thread, and didn't see an answer. I'd like to get some spare goodies at Brownells. Is it safe to assume (there's that word ) that all the slide internals are the same as Gen 3, except for:
  • The slide itself
  • Recoil spring
  • Barrel (?)
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 16:55   #195
matteblack

Quote:
I had a quick look through this thread, and didn't see an answer. I'd like to get some spare goodies at Brownells. Is it safe to assume (there's that word ) that all the slide internals are the same as Gen 3, except for:
  • The slide itself
  • Recoil spring
  • Barrel (?)
Thanks!
Although I have not compared them, I would assume yes as well.
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 17:21   #196
Forgoten214

Will you still be able to use the standard 3.5 connectors and use the 33 round magazines?

Old 02-19-2010, 17:24   #197
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm

Quote:
Will you still be able to use the standard 3.5 connectors and use the 33 round magazines?
You sure can.
Old 02-19-2010, 17:29   #198
Forgoten214

Quote:
You sure can.
Oh, well I have a Glock 17 amphibious kit. Will the maritime spring cups work with it as well?

Old 02-19-2010, 17:31   #199
raising_arizona

Quote:
The older mags should work if you are using the mag release as a right hander, IIRC.
Old 02-19-2010, 17:47   #200
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm

Quote:
  • The slide itself
  • Recoil spring
  • Barrel (?)
Thanks!
All three are different in the Gen4. The slide, at the very least, has a larger hole where the guide rod seats at the front. The recoil spring is an all-metal two-piece design that requires the larger hole in the slide to work at all. The barrel has a slightly larger cutout where the guide rod seats at the rear for assembly. At least on my aftermarket barrel, this has made absolutely no difference whatsoever. The Gen4 guide rod seats just fine in the Gen3 KKM barrel lug for assembly.

Both barrel manufacturers I contacted stated that the old (Gen3) barrels are either "the same" or "will interchange" with the Gen4 barrels. I got my Gen3 KKM barrel from Brownells (model G31C1) and it has been working 100% for 1,000 rounds so far.

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 02-19-2010 at 17:56..

Tags
barrel, fourth, gen4, generation, glock 17, glock od, olive drab