GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 16:41   #1
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,750
New M&P 45 4.5" Performance Center??

I picked up a new M&P .45 4.5" barrel today. It came with three magazines and night sights and the Performance Center Logo on the top of the slide. I have a M&P .40 already and the .45 felt really good in my hand so I bought it.

The employees at the Gun Shop didn't know anything about it other then it was "Performance Center" and came with a 3rd mag and night sites. Does anyone know anything more? Is there anything done to the pistol in order to get the performance center logo?

I am just curious what if anything is different or do they just throw the logo on random pistols. The model number of the pistol is 150612 which does not match up with anything on the web site. I probably won't get to shoot it until this weekend. Reminds me I need to make some more .45 tomorrow.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:41   #2
MSgt Dotson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,226
we can only hope it comes with a 'trigger job', 4.5# would be nice...

Now if they'd just make a 5" .45 auto variant....
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:18   #3
m4arc
Senior Member
 
m4arc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 3,010
The performance center sear is their top of the line, tool steel, sear that will produce a much smoother, slightly lighter trigger pull.
__________________
- G17(2), Gen3 G19(3), Gen4 G19 (OD), G20SF, Gen4 G22, G23, G26
m4arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 13:03   #4
fastbolt
Senior Member
 
fastbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Within the lightning (Northern CA)
Posts: 9,879
Sounds interesting. I haven't talked to anyone in the PC about them, but I've been told the machined sears they use add an excellent dimension to the M&P series pistols. There are a couple of spots where I suspect some slight attention is lavished on them, as well, but I haven't focused on the extra work being offered by the PC on the M&P's.

If your new M&P 45 has the same trigger pull characteristics as the Pro-Series, and also benefits from some slight refinement, it should be a nice gun.

I've been wondering when S&W would get around to offering a PC M&P 45.

I've also previously mentioned I thought a 5" 'long slide' .45 model would be popular among some of the competitive venues, as well.

Aside from replacing the original MIM striker with one of the revised stainless ones (including a new striker srping and replacing the original orange coded mag springs with the new purple coded ones) I haven't done anything special to mine, and the trigger pull has dropped more than 3 lbs since it was NIB, reaching a nicely smooth, predictable and clean average of barely 6 lbs.

Congrats on yours.
__________________
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:31   #5
MSgt Dotson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,226
I might be using my M&P45 (4.5", no MS, ambi TS) for Limited-10 this coming year; I'd guess it's trigger is 'about 5.5#', but, lots of dry-fire helped...
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:09   #6
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,750
I was able to take it out this morning. I was running people through our club IDPA classifier. I was not shooting (classified yesterday) but I put 20 rounds through it shooting at a piece of paper laying on the berm. It worked 100% and was hitting right around the piece of paper (trash). I just wanted to make sure it went bang and it did so I will clean it up and shoot for performance soon as I can get out there. I am plenty happy so far.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 20:15   #7
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,750
Maybe I will email S&W with the serial number and see if they can tell me what if anything the Performance Center did to the pistol to warrant the logo on the slide. It would be nice to know.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:55   #8
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
Maybe I will email S&W with the serial number and see if they can tell me what if anything the Performance Center did to the pistol to warrant the logo on the slide. It would be nice to know.
I sent this email to S&W last week but it bounced saying they where closed. I will send it again on the 4th and see what they say.

A few days ago I bought a M&P .45 ACP Full Size. It was sold as Performance Center and it had the logo on the slide of the pistol. The box it came in had the model number of 150612 and the Serial Number of the firearm is MRD71XX. When I asked the Gun Shop employee what was done to the pistol to warrant the Performance Center tag they said they did not know. I bought the pistol but I would like to know what was done to the pistol if there is a record of that or a standard of what is done to warrant the Performance Center being placed on the slide.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:10   #9
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,750
What I got back from S&W. It is a mystery.


Hello Jon,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
That was a special police department replacement for 51 guns and Iím not sure why it is marked as a PC gun. The only thing that I see is that it came with night sights and 3 magazines. I have checked with a few co-workers and no one seems to know. It was a very limited run (51 units) and there does not seem to be any record of what exactly was done to them. Sorry.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks,
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:08   #10
fastbolt
Senior Member
 
fastbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Within the lightning (Northern CA)
Posts: 9,879
I don't find that really surprising.

Many years ago I ordered a 3913. When it arrived I saw that the slide had been machined to accept the optional spring-loaded, decock-only assembly. At the time that option was only being offered to LE agencies and the machining was done to the slides by the PC. (My slide wasn't marked with the PC logo, only machined differently than the standard model's slide.)

I liked that the slide was machined for the new option and promptly ordered the assembly to install in my new 3913. (I later had my CS45 slide modified by the PC for the optional decocker.)

I called back and spoke with a couple of folks, asking why my slide had been machined for the new decocker assembly. Nobody seemed to know why and how that slide had received the additional machining.

Their best guess was that at some point the PC had taken at least my slide (and probably others) and had machined them for some pending project. The project either wasn't completed or they didn't use all of the slides and mine was simply returned to the regular parts stock at the factory, without any special notation of the change made to it or the reason, for eventual use in producing the regular production gun I received. I was told that this wasn't really an unusual practice on the part of the PC.

Later on the newer TSW's started coming with the slides similarly machined to accept the optional part, but the standard 3913's didn't come that way ... except for mine.

Sometimes strange things can happen back there.
__________________
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:06   #11
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!
 
Poohgyrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sutter's Fort
Posts: 1,174


It sounds like you may have a very special .45 there...............
__________________
Snoopy Lives!! Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27   #12
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohgyrr View Post
It sounds like you may have a very special .45 there...............
The trigger on it brand new feels as good as my well used .40 M&P so maybe with use it will get even better. I will have to see but it shoots very well. Probably run it in CDP and L10 soon. Just got my comp-tac holster.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 20:23   #13
Sniper42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
What I got back from S&W. It is a mystery.


Hello Jon,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
That was a special police department replacement for 51 guns and Iím not sure why it is marked as a PC gun. The only thing that I see is that it came with night sights and 3 magazines. I have checked with a few co-workers and no one seems to know. It was a very limited run (51 units) and there does not seem to be any record of what exactly was done to them. Sorry.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks,
These PC guns were sent to the agency as replacements for the first batch of M&P's that were purchased. The first batch had issues and the Smith rep promissed to make good with the PC guns at the same price. The PC guns were delivered and the quality control on some of the guns were lets just say lacking, so they were traded to the local gun shop for Glocks. (I still work for this agency so it will remain nameless) I purchased two of the PC guns to put away, as we were told that this would never happen again, and this was a special lot that was manufactured. I have since sold one to a close friend and co-worker, (Still kicking myself).
Sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:58   #14
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper42 View Post
These PC guns were sent to the agency as replacements for the first batch of M&P's that were purchased. The first batch had issues and the Smith rep promissed to make good with the PC guns at the same price. The PC guns were delivered and the quality control on some of the guns were lets just say lacking, so they were traded to the local gun shop for Glocks. (I still work for this agency so it will remain nameless) I purchased two of the PC guns to put away, as we were told that this would never happen again, and this was a special lot that was manufactured. I have since sold one to a close friend and co-worker, (Still kicking myself).
Welcome to Glocktalk and thanks for the information. The pistol has performed well.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:42   #15
M&P Shooter
Metal Member
 
M&P Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 10,615
The sear is easy to replace on a M&P pistol and Apex makes a tactical sear and safety plunger that along with a simple polish job on the trigger bar, striker arm and Apex sear & plunger give a 4lb pull that is very smooth and light

Sear
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con..._M_P_in__45ACP

Safety Plunger
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...ker_Block__Kit

How To Install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAJKLHNRF04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEaVM...eature=related
__________________
Never run, never surrender, it's never over to it's over!

Last edited by M&P Shooter; 09-03-2010 at 21:42..
M&P Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 14:24   #16
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,750
This is why I contacted the PC trying to figure out what they did. If they already did some sear upgrades and tuning I didn't want to undo it but since they have no idea what they did I guess I will just decide. Maybe I will replace the sear on my .40 and see how I like it compared to the .45.


Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Shooter View Post
The sear is easy to replace on a M&P pistol and Apex makes a tactical sear and safety plunger that along with a simple polish job on the trigger bar, striker arm and Apex sear & plunger give a 4lb pull that is very smooth and light

Sear
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con..._M_P_in__45ACP

Safety Plunger
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...ker_Block__Kit

How To Install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAJKLHNRF04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEaVM...eature=related
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 20:49   #17
M&P Shooter
Metal Member
 
M&P Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phila, PA
Posts: 10,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
This is why I contacted the PC trying to figure out what they did. If they already did some sear upgrades and tuning I didn't want to undo it but since they have no idea what they did I guess I will just decide. Maybe I will replace the sear on my .40 and see how I like it compared to the .45.
If you look at your sear at the part that is engaged by the trigger bar and it is cut rounded it is stock. A Apex or modified sear is cut on a flat on a angle so the trigger bar engages it later towards the end of your trigger pull. If your striker arm is not touched it will be black and needs to be lightly hit with a super fine sanding wheel to take off the finish and then polished with metal polish and a cloth dremell bit on high. To check the safety plunger just look at the bottom of it that sticks out, a stock plunger is kind of blocky and tarnished looking compared to the Apex USB which is rounded and polished.
__________________
Never run, never surrender, it's never over to it's over!
M&P Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 899
260 Members
639 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31