SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2010, 00:02   #21
B Coyote

Slugs:
Tactical Shotguns

Ooops. Pulled the first one to the right to just outside of the -0. That was my fault and I called it as soon as I did it.

A pic of the target and range:
Tactical Shotguns

Lastly: a pic of me, the gun, and the bag.
Tactical Shotguns

bc

Last edited by B Coyote; 02-10-2010 at 00:04.. Reason: Correct tags.
B Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:08   #22
Chainsaw33

Great review! Thanks!!!
Chainsaw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:56   #23
David Armstrong

Quote:
BTW--Your blog is excellent. I've read a few things there and will read a few more when I go back to work tonight.
bc
Thanks! It's fairly new, and I'm always on the hunt for suggestions and input, particularly from those who would like to write an article of their own on a relevant issue.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 16:32   #24
billyblooshoes

nice writeup i enjoyed it. also about the sneaky bag...where did you order it from? also, are there any "get out" bags like that one that are more suitable to a pistol/AR/carbine type setup. ie, has mag pouches for AR mags inside/outside it instead of loops for shotgun ammo.
Old 02-10-2010, 20:47   #25
22highcaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazoo View Post
wondering if this is necessary - being sporting arms (non-MILSPEC) almost none of the shotguns are drop safe - (except the Mossberg & Saiga) - so carry mode is cruiser ready (empty chamber hammer dropped) - when the gun comes to shoulder, the slide is racked and safety stays off..., threat goes away and shotgun is returned to cruiser ready...
You are absolutely right in that most shotgun safeties only block the trigger and not the sear. I put the VC BHS on my 870P in because I figured they would teach use of the safety at a shotgun course.
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 21:01   #26
BlackbirdSR-71

Very nice writeup
BlackbirdSR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 22:17   #27
B Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblooshoes View Post
nice writeup i enjoyed it. also about the sneaky bag...where did you order it from? also, are there any "get out" bags like that one that are more suitable to a pistol/AR/carbine type setup. ie, has mag pouches for AR mags inside/outside it instead of loops for shotgun ammo.
The bag was purchased at www.onesourcetactical.com. It comes with rifle magazine pouches.

bc
Old 02-10-2010, 22:38   #28
trob
10 rd max

Thanks for taking the time to do that writeup. was a good read

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
trob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 15:21   #29
B Coyote

Since it was time to rotate out the old #4 rounds for fresh, I decided to take the camera along for a couple pics of the patterns. I've searched high and low for replacements, but simply cannot find any. When this stuff is gone, I'll switch to the Ranger 00 Low Recoil that I use for everything else.

First at 5 yards:
Tactical Shotguns
Notice that I held slightly high, and a couple pellets left the -0 zone. Had I held slightly lower, they'd have all stayed in.

Next, at 10 yards:
Tactical Shotguns
Here I had two stray pellets. One wandered out of the pattern and into the -3 area to the right, and one dropped low toward the bottom of the -1. The other 25 pellets grouped nicely.

Another at 5 yards:
Tactical Shotguns
For grins and giggles, I went back to the five yard line and fired another. This patterned perfectly.

bc
Old 06-07-2010, 16:20   #30
Troy106

+1 great write up
Troy106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 16:29   #31
team9x19
the bee's knees

have you had a chance to get your hands on the winchester pdx-1 home defense ammo?
i'm using that now in my 870.
| GSSF |
team9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 16:48   #32
B Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by team9x19 View Post
have you had a chance to get your hands on the winchester pdx-1 home defense ammo?
i'm using that now in my 870.
I have not tested it for myself....it's abnormally expensive and I have not seen it locally.

bc
Old 06-15-2010, 19:26   #33
bsg1

thanks for the review. very handsome looking shotgun as well.
bsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 22:40   #34
Troy106

This is a very good thread with lots of info, thanks for the write ups
Troy106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:10   #35
DHart

Excellent review, Coyote! I'm a major fan of the "old school" style pump shotgun... walnut furniture and bluing (although park is nice too!). I dislike a shotgun laden with a ton of stuff as well. For me, a good sling and a very small weapon light (like a TLR-1) are all a fighting shotgun needs. And great to hear about the Sneaky Bag, too. Great idea!

I agree the 20" 590 is a wonderful gun (I love my 18.5" 500 better*), but you're right the 20" barrel with all those shells in the mag tube, heat shield, bayonet lug makes for a relatively front heavy, long, less-wieldy shotgun. Especially if you pile on even more stuff like shell holder, large format weapon light unit, etc.

I like the stripped-down 18"ers the best myself. (My 590 is quietly fuming in the safe as I say this.)

Last edited by DHart; 06-22-2010 at 01:12..
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:31   #36
B Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Excellent review, Coyote! I'm a major fan of the "old school" style pump shotgun... walnut furniture and bluing (although park is nice too!). I dislike a shotgun laden with a ton of stuff as well. For me, a good sling and a very small weapon light (like a TLR-1) are all a fighting shotgun needs. And great to hear about the Sneaky Bag, too. Great idea!

I agree the 20" 590 is a wonderful gun (I love my 18.5" 500 better*), but you're right the 20" barrel with all those shells in the mag tube, heat shield, bayonet lug makes for a relatively front heavy, long, less-wieldy shotgun. Especially if you pile on even more stuff like shell holder, large format weapon light unit, etc.

I like the stripped-down 18"ers the best myself. (My 590 is quietly fuming in the safe as I say this.)
Thank you for the compliment. I agree that blue/walnut looks good...but this is strictly a utility gun. Parkerizing is the only way to go, IMO.

I'm playing with adding a TLR-1 to my gun, even though my agency gun does not have one. I'm just deciding which mounting route I want to take. IMO, Surefire's dedicated forearms are the best way to mount a light, but they're just so pricey and the money simply isn't available.

bc
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23   #37
DHart

bc... Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of the Surefire forearm. Surefire makes great quality products, generally, but I've read some complaints about the forearms and they're so bulky, expensive, and limited in applicability. I don't think they're that great of a choice for most folks.

The Streamlight TLR-1 can be moved from a pistol to a shotgun in a few seconds. Provides a superb, artifact-free beam; excellent user interface; neutral to ever-so-slightly-warm tint; quite bright with a good intense central spot giving way through a very smooth and even transition from the spot to a wide, and very bright spill area. I'm a bit of a flashaholic with a lot of great lights (including Surefires) and this TLR-1 really impresses me.

The TLR-1 at around $105 is the best weapon light going, in my view. It's as useful on a pistol as on a shotgun. At the moment it's on my G21SF, but will move to a shotgun in a few seconds.

And for attachment to a shotgun, all that's needed is a small bracket with a short picatiny strip. Scott at cdmgear.com provides some great solutions for this at moderate prices. Check out his BMT and MT. And if you already have a great 1" diameter light, consider his Mod-C.

http://www.cdmgear.com

As for the finish, yes, parked is more durable, great finish for a utility application for sure. But I'm easy on my guns, so the more beautiful blued finish works for me. Either is a great choice!

Great gun and bag ya got there, buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Coyote View Post
Thank you for the compliment. I agree that blue/walnut looks good...but this is strictly a utility gun. Parkerizing is the only way to go, IMO.

I'm playing with adding a TLR-1 to my gun, even though my agency gun does not have one. I'm just deciding which mounting route I want to take. IMO, Surefire's dedicated forearms are the best way to mount a light, but they're just so pricey and the money simply isn't available.

bc

Last edited by DHart; 06-23-2010 at 04:35..
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 23:36   #38
B Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
bc... Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of the Surefire forearm. Surefire makes great quality products, generally, but I've read some complaints about the forearms and they're so bulky, expensive, and limited in applicability. I don't think they're that great of a choice for most folks.
>>I had the Surefire forearm in my previous M590. It was a good light but I agree, that it was kinda bulky. I never had a single issue with the light's function, however. Cost is the biggest issue with this product, IMO.

The Streamlight TLR-1 can be moved from a pistol to a shotgun in a few seconds. Provides a superb, artifact-free beam; excellent user interface; neutral to ever-so-slightly-warm tint; quite bright with a good intense central spot giving way through a very smooth and even transition from the spot to a wide, and very bright spill area. I'm a bit of a flashaholic with a lot of great lights (including Surefires) and this TLR-1 really impresses me.

The TLR-1 at around $105 is the best weapon light going, in my view. It's as useful on a pistol as on a shotgun. At the moment it's on my G21SF, but will move to a shotgun in a few seconds.
>>I'm in 100% agreement. I've carried a TLR-1 on duty for several years now and used one on my nightstand gun before that. I've compared it to the Surefire lights, as well as the Procyon, and it did just as well or better in my own unscientific on-the-range tests. Literally thousands of rounds downrange with a mounted TLR-1 on both 9mm's and .40's with zero issues. I did spring for an updated C4 model recently, and put the older light on my practice pistol. My thought is to get a TLR-1S for my duty pistol, and put the C4 light on my 870. Eh...it's all thought process at the moment.

And for attachment to a shotgun, all that's needed is a small bracket with a short picatiny strip. Scott at cdmgear.com provides some great solutions for this at moderate prices. Check out his BMT and MT. And if you already have a great 1" diameter light, consider his Mod-C.

http://www.cdmgear.com
>>Thanks for the head's up on this mount!

As for the finish, yes, parked is more durable, great finish for a utility application for sure. But I'm easy on my guns, so the more beautiful blued finish works for me. Either is a great choice!
>>I don't baby my guns. I treat them well, but scratches and dings are all character. I love how a blue/walnut gun looks, but I gotta go for the tougher finish. My concession to looks is a walnut stock, however.

Great gun and bag ya got there, buddy!
>>Thanks. They've both been excellent and made a very difficult to please person happy.
bc
My comments in red.

bc
Old 04-21-2011, 15:41   #39
Shepherds_Hook_47

awww.... sneaky bag is no more....

what happened to them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

-----------
Shepherds_Hook_47
Shepherds_Hook_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 17:00   #40
B Coyote

I don't know....they're just not there anymore. Which is sad, they made a good product.

bc