SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2009, 20:00   #1
shotgunred
reloading nut

223 dies

Do you use a 2 die or a three die set for 223?
All I can find is one RCBS 2 die sets. Being I have never reloaded rifle before I thought I would ask. What do you use and why?
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 20:08   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Been years and years since I've had a AR but back then I used the RCBS small base 2 die set... still use the same dies for my Sako bolt .223.

I use a dry mica for in the necks to minimize friction and stretching. There may be a better way but it has worked for me for years. (I'm too cheap to keep buying new dies.)

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 20:24   #3
jdm0506

I use the Lee die sets. Since I'm only loading for my AR, I just use the FL sizing die and bullet seating die. Since I'm not loading for a bolt gun, I haven't needed to use the neck sizing die. As for the crimp die, I've never had a need to use it either. You should be good with a 2 die set (fl sizing and seater) for most applications.
jdm0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 20:38   #4
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

Most rifle cartridges only require a 2 die set. The third die in a pistol set is for case mouth expansion. Rifles dies sets for most cartridges have a sizing die that has an expander ball that expands the mouth on the downstroke. Exceptions are straightwall cartridges like 45/70 and .458 WIN. Most manuals have a chapter about this.

Some dies sets contain a third die to allow you to crimp in a separate step.
Old 12-26-2009, 21:43   #5
RustyFN

I use four dies.

Sizer
powder die
seater
crimp
Old 12-27-2009, 04:18   #6
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0506 View Post
I use the Lee die sets. Since I'm only loading for my AR, I just use the FL sizing die and bullet seating die. Since I'm not loading for a bolt gun, I haven't needed to use the neck sizing die. As for the crimp die, I've never had a need to use it either. You should be good with a 2 die set (fl sizing and seater) for most applications.
Most seater dies also crimp (depending on how you set them up).
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:23   #7
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Nazi View Post
Most rifle cartridges only require a 2 die set. The third die in a pistol set is for case mouth expansion. Rifles dies sets for most cartridges have a sizing die that has an expander ball that expands the mouth on the downstroke. Exceptions are straightwall cartridges like 45/70 and .458 WIN. Most manuals have a chapter about this.

Some dies sets contain a third die to allow you to crimp in a separate step.
Actually, the second die in the pistol set is usually the expander (unless you use a powder die with expander). The third die is a seater/crimper. The fourth die if present is a crimp only.

The rifle dies expand on the on the upstroke (of the handle). The expander die does pass through the neck on the downstroke, but is then followed by the sizing die which brings it back down to size. On the as you bring the handle up (or the ram down depending on your perspective), the neck is clear and the expander ball can do it's job.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:24   #8
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFN View Post
I use four dies.

Sizer
powder die
seater
crimp
+1 For both pistol and rifle.
Old 12-27-2009, 13:52   #9
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Actually, the second die in the pistol set is usually the expander (unless you use a powder die with expander). The third die is a seater/crimper. The fourth die if present is a crimp only.

The rifle dies expand on the on the upstroke (of the handle). The expander die does pass through the neck on the downstroke, but is then followed by the sizing die which brings it back down to size. On the as you bring the handle up (or the ram down depending on your perspective), the neck is clear and the expander ball can do it's job.

Yes, the expander is put is station 2 but I called it the third die to delineate the difference in a 2 die set and a 3 die set. I guess I should have stated "additional die."

I was stating the "downstroke" of the ram/shellplate and not the "downstroke" of the handle.
Old 12-27-2009, 17:25   #10
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

I use the standard 2-die set from RCBS for .223. For what its worth, I am loading for bolt guns only.
Old 01-06-2010, 16:41   #11
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Used two dies for years when loading for AR15, Mini 14, M16 and AR180 with no problems when using single station presses. Use four dies set up when I went to Dillion.

FWTW, when loading for bolt guns I found out that I had to trim cases shorter for 223 Remington. Didn't have that problem when loading for autos with 5.56mm chambers but the 223 chamber is shorter. Also, I never found the need to use small base dies.
Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:34   #12
Bret
Crimping Master

All of my 223Rem reloading is for semiautomatic military style rifles. I use three dies when loading 223Rem on a single stage press. Following is all of the steps that I take:
1) Clean the cases
2) Lube the cases: I lube five at a time on my lubrication pad. Don't over lubricate.
3) Lube the case necks: Usually all that is necessary is to run my RCBS case neck brush through the case neck. If necessary, I'll put a little powder type neck sizing lubricant on it. Again, don't over lubricate.
4) Size and deprime: This is done using the sizing die. Be sure to wipe the lube off each case after sizing.
5) Trim: Use a case trimmer to trim all cases to the same length.
6) Chamfer and debur the case mouthes: I use the inexpensive Lee tool and get great results.
7) Clean primer pockets
8) Prime the cases: I use the CCI mil-spec primers and a hand priming tool
9) Charge each case with powder
10) Seat the bullets: This is done using the seating die. I seat the 55gr FMJ bullets to a length that results in the top of the crimp groove being just above the case mouths.
11) Crimp: This is done using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I've found that the results are better with this die than with the roll crimp type dies.
12) Fire away!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25   #13
Steve in PA

I use nothing but regular RCBS 2pc rifle die sets for reloading .223 in my M4 and .30/06 in my M1 Garand. All loaded on a RCBS single stage press.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:34   #14
PBKing

AR/Autoloader...FL sizer, seating die , LFCD

Bolt...Fireform, Lee Collet Neck sizer, RCBS Mic Seater Die and aneal every 5th reload.
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 14:13   #15
oldsoldier

I use the Redding 3 die sets for all of my rifle calibers. 1 full length sizing die, 1 neck sizing die only, and 1 combination seating/crimp die. I rarely crimp rifle ammo though. The only caliber I full length size is .233 that is going in my AR. I don't put a lot of work into loading for it. The rest of my rifles are all single shot and I take a lot more care loading for them.
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote