SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:04   #1
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

cant think of name ???

there was a company that was gonna make a gun based on or copy of bren 10 who is that company?? and are they still gonna release the gun ? i forgot the name . i know at one time i was waiting for it and now im wondering if they just canned the idea
Old 12-27-2009, 02:25   #2
CitizenOfDreams

Fortis by Vltor Weapons Systems. Can't say anything about its current status though...
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:40   #3
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Fortis by Vltor Weapons Systems. Can't say anything about its current status though...
thats the one thanks .
Old 12-27-2009, 07:01   #4
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Actually, they have bought the rights to the Bren Ten name now.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:05   #5
BruceO

Supposedly, Vltor's Bren Ten will be available at the 2010 S.H.O.T. Show. I suspect a number of other shoes will drop at that time also.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:38   #6
MinervaDoe

http://www.vltor.com/

Here is the blog with their status updates:
http://vltor.wordpress.com/

The latest from Nov 30, 2009:
Quote:
Coming off of a four-day weekend is tough, it is even tougher when I look at the calendar and see that we have less than two months until The SHOT Show.
Bringing a new handgun to market… There are a lot of things that many folks may now think about: Product insurance, marketing, advertising, customer support; all things that really need to be taken care of before one starts taking orders.
We’ve got all that taken care of.
Over the past several weeks, we have (while continuing to finish the production Bren) been busy getting all of these things taken care of. We are in the final stages of negotiation with a distributor, that will handle all of the commercial sales for the new Fortis. That distributor will be collocated with us at the The SHOT Show.
The Bren itself is in final production and testing… the first showing will at booths 20271 and 20171, in the Law Enforcement Section of the 2010 SHOT Show.
Which is less than two months away…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 16:49   #7
BruceO

I would like to clarify. I don't think that the new Bren Ten will be physically available for a person to buy & take home but rather there will be a distributor in place and you will be able to place orders. It is also rumored that the price point of the entry level model will be missed by a substantial amount-as much as 50%. As with most other information on this gun, this information has been "leaked" via unofficial official channels and did not appear on their "Official" blog. We'll know for sure in mid January. Hopefully, this particular rumor is false.
Old 12-28-2009, 18:26   #8
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceO View Post
I would like to clarify. I don't think that the new Bren Ten will be physically available for a person to buy & take home but rather there will be a distributor in place and you will be able to place orders. *** It is also rumored that the price point of the entry level model will be missed by a substantial amount-as much as 50% ***. As with most other information on this gun, this information has been "leaked" via unofficial official channels and did not appear on their "Official" blog. We'll know for sure in mid January. Hopefully, this particular rumor is false.
As in a "high" miss?

Shooting "high" over the "target" is never a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 18:39   #9
why

So the price point will be circa $1500? That'll put me out. Damn.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 19:40   #10
BruceO

"As in a "high" miss?"

Not meaning to be facetious, but do you think they'll miss low?

Remember that this information is rumor because there has never been much factual information disseminated on the Blog-which was intended to stifle rumors in the first place.

Originally, the plan supposedly was for Vltor's existing network of distributors to be the wholesale outlets for the Fortis/Bren Ten. This now appears not to be the case. Why, I have no idea. It may be an accounting/business strategy. At any rate, if you take the original Bren Ten Standard Model's MSRP of $500 and adjust for inflation, it works out to something like $1,041 in 2009 money. This was an fairly expensive pistol in 1984. Possibly the rumored addition of a third safety mechanism, an internal hammer block accounts for this supposed increase. Also, another rumor contends that Ruger will NOT be providing the frame investment casting, contrary to the original plan. If the rumor about the price overrun is correct, it'll be interesting to see how they managed to use 21st century design technology and manufacturing methods and still miss the target by one half.

Who knows? The Blog, other than providing a kitty litter box for Vltor to jump into and shuffle their feet when the smell gets too bad, is pretty much a useless lame duck.

As critical as I've been of Vltor, I'm still pulling for them to FINALLY make lemonade from lemons. We'll see in mid January.

Last edited by BruceO; 12-28-2009 at 19:58..
BruceO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03   #11
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
"As in a "high" miss?"

Not meaning to be facetious, but do you think they'll miss low?

Remember that this information is rumor because there has never been much factual information disseminated on the Blog-which was intended to stifle rumors in the first place.

Originally, the plan supposedly was for Vltor's existing network of distributors to be the wholesale outlets for the Fortis/Bren Ten. This now appears not to be the case. Why, I have no idea. It may be an accounting/business strategy. At any rate, if you take the original Bren Ten Standard Model's MSRP of $500 and adjust for inflation, it works out to something like $1,041 in 2009 money. This was an fairly expensive pistol in 1984. Possibly the rumored addition of a third safety mechanism, an internal hammer block accounts for this supposed increase. Also, another rumor contends that Ruger will NOT be providing the frame investment casting, contrary to the original plan. If the rumor about the price overrun is correct, it'll be interesting to see how they managed to use 21st century design technology and manufacturing methods and still miss the target by one half.

Who knows? The Blog, other than providing a kitty litter box for Vltor to jump into and shuffle their feet when the smell gets too bad, is pretty much a useless lame duck.

As critical as I've been of Vltor, I'm still pulling for them to FINALLY make lemonade from lemons. We'll see in mid January.
Good post, Bruce.

Couple of thoughts ...

A year or so ago, Vltor might have hit their initially intended price-point, but, typically, delay only increases the cost of producing or providing a product or service. Gun manufacturers are no less immune to the effects of the passage of time and price fluxations than any other industry.

If Vltor in fact found it necessary to engineer into the improved internal design a third safety mechanism - or if Ruger backed out as a component supplier, pulling out some bit of rug from under Vltor's feet, as it were - then either or both would delay bringing a re-vamped Bren Ten to market and increase the final retail cost.

Also, the idea of dumping a "network" of wholesale distributers (who presumably could be expected to engage in *some* competitive pricing, depending on regional markets) for an exclusive distributer who is under no price constraint other than what "the market will bear," suggests that Vltor is interested in a quick return on their investment in the Fortis/BT project.

This accounting/business strategy angle, if accurate, would seem to reflect a risk-driven premise, i.e., how successful is a 21st Century Bren Ten likely to be? Other "rumored" changes support this, such as producing some roughly equal number of standard model (SM) BTs in what is regarded by most as a "market safe" caliber: .45acp.

Perhaps a .40S&W BT is contemplated as well, either as a separate production model (SM 10mm BT using a .40S&W barrel) or by means of the Glock-ish barrel-swap method alone, whereby Vltor would sell a "drop-in" .40 tube to those purchasing a 10mm BT. Again, the .40S&W being viewed as a "market safe," sustainable-sales caliber if people otherwise liked the gun.

I still remain cautiously optimistic that Vltor and Eric Kincel can deliver an "improved" 10mm Bren Ten to us in 2010 - even if it's a more expensive one.

But if too pricey, that may well deter any number of 10mm fans from buying one - including all those long-suffering folks who've lusted after a Bren Ten since they first saw a South Florida vice detective named Crockett put down all manner of bad guys with it back in the day ...

Last edited by agtman; 12-29-2009 at 18:25..
Old 12-29-2009, 11:50   #12
BruceO

I doubt that a 12 month delay accounts for an appreciable portion of the rumored 50% overrun. Ditto for adding a third safety. The safety may have been added in order to satisfy the either a legal staff or an insurance underwriter. I mean, in their view, it should now be 50% safer than the original twin safety version. It's my understanding that Ruger will still provide the slide castings but at this point, that could be incorrect also. It seems that the demand for firearms has peaked and started to fall back to pre-election levels. In this economy, it should be a buyers market for outsourced materials.

I do agree that going to a single distributor provides cover for Vltor on a number of fronts including providing plausible deniability for all manner of things which can then be claimed to be beyond Vltor's control. Right now, this does not appear to bode well for the end consumer. One glimmer of hope may be that, at this point, everything we discuss is all conjecture. Possibly, none of this will come to pass.

I have to tell you that in my view, if Vltor brings this thing in 14+ months beyond the original target date 50% over price point with a distribution system which puts in place a defacto black market atmosphere, no amount of foot shuffling or any other type of PR is going to make them look good. In that scenario, I would hope the folks doing all the gushing over at that Blog realize what just happened to them.

For me, I'm in BOHICA mode.

A couple of other interesting things to dissect:

1. Dan Wesson (CZ) has dropped all 10mm 1911 products from their 2010 catalog.

2. One of the fellows on the Bren-Ten.com Forum who implies he has an "in" with Vltor and does the most chirping about it associates Vltor with a Florida company called Spirit Gun Manufacturing Company, LLC. This LLC was formed the end of 2007 (interesting date) and, to my knowledge, presently manufactures nothing. If anybody has access to D&B, they might be able to provide some pertinent data about this entity.

Last edited by BruceO; 12-29-2009 at 11:57..
Old 01-03-2010, 12:34   #13
AIREglockDALE

Quote:
I would like to clarify. I don't think that the new Bren Ten will be physically available for a person to buy & take home but rather there will be a distributor in place and you will be able to place orders. It is also rumored that the price point of the entry level model will be missed by a substantial amount-as much as 50%. As with most other information on this gun, this information has been "leaked" via unofficial official channels and did not appear on their "Official" blog. We'll know for sure in mid January. Hopefully, this particular rumor is false.
If this is actually true, I'd save a lil more money an go this route:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_460.asp
AIREglockDALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:07   #14
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREglockDALE View Post
If this is actually true, I'd save a lil more money an go this route:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_460.asp
Nice guns, no question, whether in 10mm or .460 Rowland.

But that takes you back to the 1911 pattern with a single-stack capacity.

With the Fortis/Bren Ten, you're getting a 10mm on the CZ (or quasi-CZ) pattern, with its corresponding ergonomic benefits and increased payload.

This is something that a lot of 10mm fans have been wanting since the original BT, and for whom the Tanfoglio Witness, a poor CZ knockoff, just doesn't come close.

Last edited by agtman; 01-03-2010 at 16:51..
Old 01-03-2010, 13:28   #15
AIREglockDALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Nice guns, no question, whether in 10mm or .460 Rowland.

But that takes you back to the 1911 pattern with a single-stack capacity.

With the Fortis/Bren Ten, you're getting a 10mm on the CZ (or quasi-CZ) pattern, with it corresponding ergonomic benefits and increased payload.

This is something that a lot of 10mm fans have been wanting since the original BT, and for whom the Tanfoglio Witness, a poor CZ knockoff, just doesn't come close.

Valid point, however my G20 gives me fairly decent capacity. Just figured if I was going to be dropping some coin I'd drop some on somethin really purdy and nice.
AIREglockDALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:03   #16
arushus
Biggest Member

Was this gun ever released?
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:53   #17
rcd567

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Was this gun ever released?

uhm, nope...
Old 10-30-2011, 10:01   #18
arushus
Biggest Member

any idea what happened?
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:45   #19
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Here is my take on the VLTOR Fortis Bren Ten, they haven't produced the guns as they originally stated...given the current ecconomic status of our country and others, I see the cost being higher than originally stated and they may be priced in such a way that the people are comfortable with given the ecconomy we are faced with. Also those of us who have come to know and understand the ballistic potential of the cartridge and were the potential customers, are not getting any younger, so to purchase the guns and utilize VLTOR is slowly loosing this customer base.

While we have publicized thru these forums about the 10mm cartridge and guns for it, the VLTOR gun should it become a reality will be a younger person's gun if he/she can afford it and the ammo to shoot it with the rising prices!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16   #20
BruceO

Vltor's Bren Ten clone has mysteriously undergone reverse evolution. It has changed from being in "final T&E and production" with the first years manufacture sold two years ago to having the frame investment casting design done-maybe, on 11 July this year. Eric & friends must have taken a trip in the WayBack Machine!

Last edited by BruceO; 11-01-2011 at 10:39..