SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2002, 00:57   #1
Trebor

Need help with holster and other carry options for my wife

Hi all,

My wife has taken the CCW training required in our state, has received a CCW permit, and has (for now at least) selected a Sig 239 9mm for her defense gun. Now she needs a couple good ways to carry the gun.

Her job has very strict "No weapons" rules and we are worried that if she carries in a holster, eventually the gun will be seen. The work dress code requires professional attire, but her workplace is too hot (even in winter) for her to wear any sort of cover garmet. She usually wears either a blouse and slacks or a suit for when she has off-site meetings.

We have been considering some sort of "off body" carry for work. She always either has her purse under her direct control, usually slung from left (weak) shoulder to right (strong side) hip, or else it is securely locked in her desk. We figure that as long as the gun is secure in the purse, there is little chance of anyone knowing about it since no one else would have a reason (or permission) to look in her purse. A fannypack wouldn't work with her dress code.

Any reccomendations for a good gun purse that will hold the gun secure and looks somewhat fashionable for work?

She also needs a holster for carry when she is not at work and to use for when she attends any training classes that require holsters. What works well for women? She is about 5'6'' and 140 pounds, with the normal female build for someone her size.

There is also a chance she might switch to a different carry gun. She likes it so far, but hasn't had enough chances to shoot the 239 yet to be sure that it is the gun for her. We wouldn't have bought it this early, except that we got a good deal on it and figured we could always sell it and try again if this doesn't work out for her. We already bought and sold a HK P7 while looking for a gun for her.

Thanks for the help

Trebor
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:58   #2
1loneranger

As long as there is a no weapons rule, I would stick to it and leave the weapon in the car. I know that is not what you want to hear, but if there is a weapon on out property I have the fun job of letting someone know that a rule is a rule, bye employee.
1loneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:03   #3
1loneranger

Re: Need help with holster and other carry options for my wife

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trebor
[B]Hi all,

She also needs a holster for carry when she is not at work and to use for when she attends any training classes that require holsters. What works well for women? She is about 5'6'' and 140 pounds, with the normal female build for someone her size.

Trebor, depending on how she wants to carry, even for training and practice I carry IWB either SideArmor or a Galco depending on clothing. The Galco is easier to clip onto clothing when frequently removing, ie shopping.
1loneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 21:41   #4
QB

Although I carry "off body" as a last resort, I do own a purse from Corona Leather and it is GREAT.

Here's some links that show the Corona Leather brand:
http://www.coronadoleather.com/
http://www.wrbss.com/bags.html

Again, for purses, you might look at Feminine Protection bags. Very nice assortment and fashionable.

http://www.theconcealmentshop.com/handbags.html

;a
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 16:01   #5
MD2B

For Training...

My dad finally called the Blade Tech (manufacturers of Kydex holsters) people and gifted me with a "low rise" and "offset" (slightly canted) holster for my Sig226. I absolutely LOVE this holster! Basically, women have a far shorter length between armpit and waist (I'm referring to ratio, not overall height), which makes a high-rise holster nearly in many womens' armpit.

I don't carry a purse, so I don't have any suggestions for that aspect... however, while I can tell you what worked for me, the biggest problem with women and holsters, is that "one size does NOT fit/work for all." Test driving different makes and models is key before spending $100+ on a holster.

God bless Dads who buy holsters for their daughters!!! ;f

christine
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." --Ted Nugent
MD2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 18:38   #6
Kilroy
JAFMP

Send a message via ICQ to Kilroy
I am always armed at work. While an armed encounter is unlikely, it is not out of the question. I am never visibly armed, relying on a S&W 442 in .38 Spl. Usually in a pocket or ankle holster. Should have my Alessi ankle rigs for my G27 back soon, so will be using that as well. One lady that I know uses a "belly band" just above the waist with suitable dress clothes concealing. May take some time to get to that combination, but be prepared for some compromise in size and caliber to gain that total concealment.

...was here

"Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote