Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-29-2009, 17:13   #1
jaybirdjtt

Low Flash Powder

I load for 9mm and 45 acp in my Glocks and 1911, along with 38 spcl and 357 for the wheelguns. Any recommendations for powder that will yield little or no muzzle flash. I don't know if I should assume that a faster burning powder like Bullseye will do it or not. I am a big Bullseye fan for many reasons but use Red Dot, Unique and for the 357....2400.

I am mainly interested in low flash SD loads for the 9mm and 45.
For the range loads it is mostly medium to lower power loads and I and not really too concerned about those. I just don't shoot much at night!!

Thanks in advance!
jaybirdjtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 18:55   #2
buckshotshorty

I've been using a lot of WSF powder. It's just slightly slower than Unique, meters spot on, burns really clean, and has low flash. I use it in 9mm, 40 s&w, and 45.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!
pb
buckshotshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 20:25   #3
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
I've been using a lot of WSF powder. It's just slightly slower than Unique, meters spot on, burns really clean, and has low flash. I use it in 9mm, 40 s&w, and 45.
A good choice, so is WST. WST is my goto 45acp powder. It also works fine in 9mm & 38sp. I don't load really light loads in 357mag cases, but it would work there too.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 20:49   #4
njl

Universal clays would work for all those. I haven't compared muzzle blast myself (I find it hard to compare muzzle blast when I'm the shooter), but people tend to say Universal is low flash. As long as you're content with mid range loads, Universal is an option. It's not going to give you full power .357mag.
Old 12-29-2009, 21:00   #5
dla

AA#5 is the best low-flash powder I've used.
Old 12-29-2009, 21:11   #6
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybirdjtt View Post
I load for 9mm and 45 acp in my Glocks and 1911, along with 38 spcl and 357 for the wheelguns. Any recommendations for powder that will yield little or no muzzle flash. I don't know if I should assume that a faster burning powder like Bullseye will do it or not. I am a big Bullseye fan for many reasons but use Red Dot, Unique and for the 357....2400.

For the range loads it is mostly medium to lower power loads and I and not really too concerned about those. I just don't shoot much at night!!

Thanks in advance!
Take a peek at Ramshot's "Silhouette". I've not seen anything that equals the velocity with such a small flash signature. Should work fine for the calibers you mention and is good as it gets in 9MM...in every respect.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51   #7
grenadier

Hodgdon Universal Clays is readily available, and gives you low flash results in both calibers.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, Vihtavuori N320 is a faster burning powder that has virtually no muzzle flash. It's a favorite amongst lower power 9 mm loads, and a wide range of .45 ACP loads.
Old 12-31-2009, 22:50   #8
George Helser

Some people do not realize that their carry ammo will produce a big fireball at night. I test all my factory and handload ammo for flash in the dark when there is barely enough light to identify a target.

It is important to note that a powder which has low flash in one load may have bright flash in another load in the same caliber.

Here are some loads with VV-N340 which have virtually zero flash in the dark when there is barely enough light to identify a target.

9x19
--------
6.0 gr VV-N340
115 gr Hornady XTP
O.L. = 1.08”
1300 fps in G26, USPc or P7
(duplicates the performance of the Corbon +P 115 gr ammo)

40 S&W
-----------
7.0 gr VV-N340
155 gr Hornady XTP
O.L. = 1.126”
1150 fps in a USPc
(Same powder gives a very bright flash with 135 gr XTP bullets in 40 S&W!)

45ACP
--------
6.3 gr VV-N340
230 gr FMJ bullet
O.L. = 1.267”
935 fps in Mk23 SOCOM
(duplicates 230 gr ball ammo without the flash & fouling)

45ACP
--------
8.0 gr VV-N340
185 gr Hornady XTP
O.L. = 1.21”
1165 fps in Mk23 SOCOM

VV-N340 is the cleanest burning pistol powder I have ever used in these caliber’s. Recoil is a product of both the bullet exiting the barrel and the high velocity gasses following it. VV-N340 generally requires a lower weight charge than other powders so there is less powder mass being ejected at high velocity so there is less recoil with VV-N340! Some people will not buy VV-N340 because it costs more per pound than other powders. BUT you use less VV-N340 per round and there are other benefits to consider.

DISCLAIMER: There may be typos in the numbers above. Use factory loading data and work up gradually to maximum.

Stay aware and be safe!
George Helser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:28   #9
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybirdjtt View Post

Thanks in advance!
AutoComp work great in 9mm, 38Spl, 357Mag and 45ACP. It's specifically designed for low flash signature.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 13:38   #10
dougader

AA, VV and Ramshot powders are low flash.

In 9mm I like VV 3N37 and Ramshot Silhouette. In 45 I like VV 340 and Universal.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:22   #11
Guntrainer

For the Nine and Forty, VV 3N37 works very well, but is pricey. I also use HS-6 in commercial loads. A little less speed, but much less money.

Titegroup gives great results, and little flash in the standards such as 38, and 45.
Guntrainer is offline   Reply With Quote