Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2010, 14:15   #1
gunsnhoses

5.56 in a .223 bolt gun?

So I know that shooting 5.56 in a semi-auto like an AR marked for .223 is generally a bad idea, so I'm assuming that shooting 5.56 in a .223 bolt gun would also be a bad idea?

The reason I ask is that I have a reasonable amount of 5.56 for my AR, but if I ever needed to could I use it in my .223 Savage bolt action without risking my well being?
gunsnhoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 16:52   #2
Spankywombat

Yes you can; no you shouldn't.

Same reasons why you wouldn't in the AR -- slight dimensional differences. But since you probably really don't use a nice bolt gun for plinking, why take the risk (albeit low) of excess wear and tear?

ETA -- if you really are only talking about a "if I ever needed to" situation, hell yes, go ahead and use it, and don't worry, I'm sure thousands of people have done the same. Or if you really don't care that much about keeping an heirloom gun. But if you have a choice........ better not to.

Last edited by Spankywombat; 06-08-2010 at 16:55..
Spankywombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 17:49   #3
gunsnhoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankywombat View Post
Yes you can; no you shouldn't.

Same reasons why you wouldn't in the AR -- slight dimensional differences. But since you probably really don't use a nice bolt gun for plinking, why take the risk (albeit low) of excess wear and tear?

ETA -- if you really are only talking about a "if I ever needed to" situation, hell yes, go ahead and use it, and don't worry, I'm sure thousands of people have done the same. Or if you really don't care that much about keeping an heirloom gun. But if you have a choice........ better not to.
So, are you saying that it will just cause excessive wear, or is it downright dangerous? Yes, I don't plan on making a habit of it, but I just thought if I needed to could I??
gunsnhoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 20:01   #4
Spankywombat

*I'm not a lawyer, just stayed at a HI Express once* -- Nah, not dangerous, just THEORETICALLY greater wear.

At the end of the day, don't do it if you are obsessive compulsive and want to keep your new rifle "pristine." Otherwise, just banging off a few 5.56's out of a .223 chamber probably won't do anything noticable to the chamber, accuracy, etc.
My point / the conundrum -- is that if you are just firing off a few rounds, then why risk anything to save a few pennies?
Sorry, sounds like double talk....... maybe an excuse to just get a 5.56 AR?
Spankywombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 20:03   #5
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
An old topic and there were several threads here on Glock Talk open at one time.

NO!
Old 06-09-2010, 20:23   #6
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Shooting 5.56 in a .223 bolt gun would not be recommended...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 20:31   #7
marvin
sci-fi nut

NO!! i tried it and it locked my savage up as tight as a drum. i had to beat the bolt open. think about it, real tight .223 chamber, hot 5.56 ammo, not a good mix. lucky it didn't blow a primer.

Free men own guns, slaves don't.
marvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19   #8
fastbolt

Check out page 7 in SAAMI's TECHNICAL DATA SHEET UNSAFE FIREARM-AMMUNITION COMBINATIONS:
http://www.saami.org/specifications_...mbinations.pdf

Federal (ATK) Law Enforcement Technical Bulletin: http://le.atk.com/pdf/223VS556.pdf

Web page for above link: http://le.atk.com/general/irl/technicalbulletins.aspx
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 06-11-2010 at 10:27..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 13:24   #9
vafish

The best place to look is in your rifles manual, or contact your rifles manufacture, they should be able to tell you what your rifle is chambered for.

For instance if you look at Savage's rifle manual they specifically state that using military surplus or any other ammo not made to SAAMI standards will void your warranty. So that means no 5.56 in the .223.

But I have fired surplus 5.56 in my .223 TC Contender with no ill effect so far. I would be surprised if most mass produced .223 rifles didn't have the longer leade of the 5.56 specifications just for liability reasons. It would be interesting to make a chamber cast of my contender barrel and measure it to see how much leade is actually there.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 06-11-2010 at 13:24..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 17:31   #10
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
The best place to look is in your rifles manual, or contact your rifles manufacture, they should be able to tell you what your rifle is chambered for.

For instance if you look at Savage's rifle manual they specifically state that using military surplus or any other ammo not made to SAAMI standards will void your warranty. So that means no 5.56 in the .223.

But I have fired surplus 5.56 in my .223 TC Contender with no ill effect so far. I would be surprised if most mass produced .223 rifles didn't have the longer leade of the 5.56 specifications just for liability reasons. It would be interesting to make a chamber cast of my contender barrel and measure it to see how much leade is actually there.
Back before the internet was created by Al Gore (which is where I finally heard about this issue), I had some nice Norinco 5.56mm ammo that I fired in my T/C Contender .223 one day. After having a few semi-stuck cases, I pulled my head just far enough out of my rear end to notice that the primers were also backing out (and 1 had actually been pierced). At that point, I relegated that ammo to my AR and stuck with factory .223 for the T/C.

PS: I had 0 issues with the Norinco in my ARs.
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27   #11
tyger006

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
NO!! i tried it and it locked my savage up as tight as a drum. i had to beat the bolt open. think about it, real tight .223 chamber, hot 5.56 ammo, not a good mix. lucky it didn't blow a primer.
Same thing happened to me when the gunstore sold me 556 ammo with my new browning bolt action I bought from them. I had not done my research and thought they were the same. Had to send the gun back to browning. I now load .223 only in all my 556/223 guns and it works fine.
tyger006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 14:45   #12
wanderinwalker
6 of .44

Send a message via AIM to wanderinwalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post

No offense vafish, but I bet your 5.56mm in the Contender worked fine because of the *ahem* excellent *cough* job a *wheeze* certain New Hampshire-based company does on the QC of it's chamber and throat dimensions... (I talked to a guy who claimed to have asked a Hornady rep if a certain NH-based muzzleloader company having issues with bore-diameters in it's rifles was the reason the low drag sabots came into being. The answer was ah, yep.)

Anyway, don't fire 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber! Too much pressure, you'll pop a primer at least. I have a batch of .223 match ammmo I loaded for a barrel with a 5.56 chamber. That barrel was toast a couple of years ago, and my new barrel, with a .223 Wylde chamber, won't accept them without indigestion (pierced primers).
Old 06-13-2010, 23:19   #13
marvin
sci-fi nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyger006 View Post
Same thing happened to me when the gunstore sold me 556 ammo with my new browning bolt action I bought from them. I had not done my research and thought they were the same. Had to send the gun back to browning. I now load .223 only in all my 556/223 guns and it works fine.
i plead guilty to knowing better, but wanted to see how accurate the loads would be in my savage. didn't take me long to find out that i goofed up(1 shot)

Free men own guns, slaves don't.
marvin is online now   Reply With Quote