Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:42   #1
frankr

Old Guy Has A Question

I hate to admit this but I’m getting old. No, I am old. I’ll turn 67 this coming Monday and was thinking of getting a shotgun for home defense. I have not shot a shotgun for about 15 years. That’s about the time I stopped hunting and gave my guns to my son’s. When I was a very young Marine I shot Expert with my M14 and carried it during my early years in Viet Nam. When I got home I did a lot of duck and small game hunting in my home State of Pennsylvania. That was then and this is now. Older, slower, and I even have to wear glasses. Three years ago my wife and I relocated to the upstate of South Carolina and I did get my conceded weapons permit. If I were to get a shotgun what type and what loads do you recommend. And that is another thing. When I was shooting shotgun I shot only 12 gauge pumps and I can not remember the recoil. I shot everything from low brass 8’s to slugs, I watch people shooting 12 gauge 00 buck on You Tube and you would think they were shooting a cannon. Will that be me? One more thing. Pistol Grip, Adjustable Stock, Speed Feed, what’s going on. HELP!

Thank you for your suggestions, sorry I'm just getting older.

Last edited by frankr; 12-30-2009 at 03:59..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:00   #2
OVERTHEHILLGUY

My suggestion is to get a Remington model 870. They mfg. a model called H-D, it has a 18 inch barrel. plastic type stock. runs about $300.00 . It is good to go right out of the box!!! Buy ammo that is on sale, Wal-Mart has Remington slugs...15 rounds for less then $9.00. Don't get caught up with making a bunch costly add ons. OVERTHEHILLGUY
OVERTHEHILLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:17   #3
markman

I have a plain jane Mossy 500 8 shot with no add ons. You can also use the reduced recoil buck shot or slugs to tame the recoil.

Last edited by markman; 12-30-2009 at 09:21..
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33   #4
bug

As others have said Rem 870 or moss 590 you cant go wrong. mine worked every time with out fail you can get stocks that reduce the recoil. they are common.
I do not like pistol grips on HD shot gun especially on the 590 gets in the way of getting to safety fast.
18 barrel max!
as far as ammo goes their are low recoil OO buck loads out there that are fairly tame.

Another cheap option is the Mossberg 930HD(its semi auto so it helps with recoil) but its reliability is unknown some say it great some say it not.
I like them but you should do your own search on them.

Last edited by bug; 12-30-2009 at 09:37..
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:56   #5
frankr

Thank you. Great advise, I was just looking at a Remington Express Synthetic with 18" barrel, Cyl. Bore, and 2 shell extension, $340.00. Model 25077
Old 12-30-2009, 10:04   #6
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
Thank you. Great advise, I was just looking at a Remington Express Synthetic with 18" barrel, Cyl. Bore, and 2 shell extension, $340.00. Model 25077
Frank, that scattergun will serve you very well.
I happen to be a BIG Remington fan!
I am of the opinion that while Mossberg makes a decent shotgun, it's felt recoil is more than the Remington. (Might be due to Mossberg's aluminum alloy receiver!)

The ONLY thing that I would suggest is to add a Limbsaverģ recoil pad to that particular shotgun.
This recoil pad reduces the felt recoil impulse to your shoulder.

And 67 is not old, by the way. (Happy Birthday, come Monday!!!)

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:05   #7
OVERTHEHILLGUY

Frank, You will not be sorry!! Now go to the range and warm up that 870.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24   #8
aippi

Hey, Jarhead. Go to www.aiptactical.com and under the weapon link you will find a link "Build your weapon" Read this as it recommends which features should be on a shotgun based on the intended use of the weapon. My e-mail is at the top of each page so e-mail with any questions as I will help a brother Jarhead out anytime, especialy and old worn out one. Also, that 25077 model is the best value on the market for an HD pump. That is the one I recomend on my web site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:08   #9
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERTHEHILLGUY View Post
Frank, You will not be sorry!! Now go to the range and warm up that 870.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
Thank you, Love your name.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:08   #10
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
Frank, that scattergun will serve you very well.
I happen to be a BIG Remington fan!
I am of the opinion that while Mossberg makes a decent shotgun, it's felt recoil is more than the Remington. (Might be due to Mossberg's aluminum alloy receiver!)

The ONLY thing that I would suggest is to add a Limbsaverģ recoil pad to that particular shotgun.
This recoil pad reduces the felt recoil impulse to your shoulder.

And 67 is not old, by the way. (Happy Birthday, come Monday!!!)
Thank you
Old 12-30-2009, 11:09   #11
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Hey, Jarhead. Go to www.aiptactical.com and under the weapon link you will find a link "Build your weapon" Read this as it recommends which features should be on a shotgun based on the intended use of the weapon. My e-mail is at the top of each page so e-mail with any questions as I will help a brother Jarhead out anytime, especialy and old worn out one. Also, that 25077 model is the best value on the market for an HD pump. That is the one I recomend on my web site.
Ha,Ha,Ha, Thank you and will do.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18   #12
oldsoldier

[quote=frankr;14443385]Thank you. Great advise, I was just looking at a Remington Express Synthetic with 18" barrel, Cyl. Bore, and 2 shell extension, $340.00. Model 25077[/quote

I think that is the exact model that I own. MIne is loaded with Federal Vital-Shok 2 3/4" low recoil OO buckshot. Not quite as much recoil as standard load buckshot. I tested it against Federal, Winchester, and Wolf buckshot loads and it has a much tighter pattern. Seems to be a very nice load. I had to get it from Midway because all I could find around here was standard and magnum loads.
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:55   #13
frankr

[QUOTE=oldsoldier;14443829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
Thank you. Great advise, I was just looking at a Remington Express Synthetic with 18" barrel, Cyl. Bore, and 2 shell extension, $340.00. Model 25077[/quote

I think that is the exact model that I own. MIne is loaded with Federal Vital-Shok 2 3/4" low recoil OO buckshot. Not quite as much recoil as standard load buckshot. I tested it against Federal, Winchester, and Wolf buckshot loads and it has a much tighter pattern. Seems to be a very nice load. I had to get it from Midway because all I could find around here was standard and magnum loads.
Just got home from purchasing the above described Remington. He also gave me three boxes of the Federal Vital-Shok low recoild 00 buck (H132 00)
Old 12-30-2009, 15:00   #14
shootingbuff

[quote=frankr;14444383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post

Just got home from purchasing the above described Remington. He also gave me three boxes of the Federal Vital-Shok low recoild 00 buck (H132 00)
Nice purchase. You will be amazed at how well that load well pattern and the recoil lvl.

One thing that has not been said about recoil. Stance, mount, fit, and motivation. guess that is a few things ;-).

If you have to yank the trigger on some BG you wont notice the recoil.

one other thing practice with dummy rounds or snap caps on cycling the SG. Pumps do fail and the two areas I see are sticky extraction and being short stroked.

Best and enjoy,

sb
Old 12-30-2009, 15:16   #15
alphacat
account deleted

Get a double barrel shotgun. It's a point and shoot gun.
alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 15:48   #16
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Why has no one suggested a gas operated auto? Ok, I will. Frank, if recoil is an issue you should consider a Remington 1100, 11-87, or a comparable gun from their competition.

1100's are well known to be soft shooting. Combined that with reduced recoil buck or slug and you've got an outstanding defensive combo.

Everything you need right here, 11-87 Police: http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/1187.htm

or, 1100 TAC 4: http://www.remington.com/products/fi...100-tac-4.aspx

Get the order number and visit your local FFL.

Here's my 1100 Tactical (older model):

http://glocktalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/106 and,

Tactical Shotguns

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 15:59   #17
OVERTHEHILLGUY

Frank.....You are more then welcome. Let us know how she runs.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
Old 12-30-2009, 16:57   #18
frankr

Iíve never been recoil sensitive shooting any type weapon but not shooting a shotgun for about 15 years you never know. Iím going to the range to put my new 870 through the paces. Iím starting out with some low brass 8ís then game load 71/2 next low recoil 00 buck and finally standard load 00 buck. Iíll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you all and Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2010, 02:54   #19
Aceman

No reason for anything more than the low recoil for in-the-house shooting. Most important factor with it, IMO, is the time back to target. The reduced wear on the shoulder is a bonus.

I have to say - as much of a Mossberg 500 fan as I am - the semiauto might be a great idea for you.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:27   #20
shootingbuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
No reason for anything more than the low recoil for in-the-house shooting. Most important factor with it, IMO, is the time back to target. The reduced wear on the shoulder is a bonus.

I have to say - as much of a Mossberg 500 fan as I am - the semiauto might be a great idea for you.
+1

Aceman: thought you would be a M90 kind of a guy

sb