Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2009, 17:13   #1
mattellis2

should i drink the blue cool aid?

My neighbor is an older retired guy, and has recently decided he wants to move. I've helped him out with a few projects since we moved in a couple of years ago, and he is an all around easy going guy. He came over with a handwritten list tonight of all the parts and pieces that he would like to sell.

I've seen his reloading room once, and all his stuff looked pristine. I confess that I am a Dillon retard, so excuse me if something doesn't sound right...I am just copying his list. Anyway, here is what he has:

-Dillon 550B with auto powder measure and auto primer system.

-Dust Cover

-Bullet Puller

-Strong Mount

-Aluminum Roller Handle

-Tool Head Stands (7)

-Tool Heads (8)

-Pick-up Tubes (small)

-Pick-up Tubes (large)

-extra small powder bar

-belted magnum powder bar

-early warning primer system

-auto eject system

-RCBS 44 mag 3-die set

-Dillon 44 mag caliber conversion

-RCBS 41 mag 3 die set

-Dillon 41 mag Caliber conversion

-RCBS 270 winchester 3 die set

-Dillon 270 winchester conversion

-RCBS 8x57 mauser 3 die set

-Dillon 8 mm Mauser conversion

-RCBS 308 Winchester 3 die set

-Dillon 308 conversion

-RCBS 308 norma mag 3 die set

-Dillon 308 norma mag conversion

-Vortex Case Tumbler

-RCBS Rangemaster Electronic Scale

- a few odds and ends, including about 2k in various primers, some bullets and some crushed walnut and corn media.

Anyway, what would be a fair price for that package? I'm off to Dillon's website to do some reading. Thanks for any input or insight you all can offer.

-matt
mattellis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 21:33   #2
tlafrance
Missing AZ

Ask him what it's worth to HIM. Last deal I was offered (similar to yours) I was willing to go $600ish, I asked the seller what HE hoped to get and the response was $300.00. I told him I needed to check my slush fund and call him later. I rang him an hr later as said yeah, no problem, done deal. The next day I arrived cash in hand and he says he thought about all night and $300 was just not fair, how about $250? Ok if it would help you sleep better, let's get this stuff loaded into the trunk.

The value is to the SELLER and if his happy price is within your budget, jump on that Kool Aid train ASAP

Tom

"We need to save the planet from Liberals, not from incandescent light bulbs" - Kurt Larson
tlafrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 21:50   #3
fredj338

Quote:
Ask him what it's worth to HIM. Last deal I was offered (similar to yours) I was willing to go $600ish, I asked the seller what HE hoped to get and the response was $300.00. Oh man, that is just stealing.

The list of stuff you have above is worth $1000+. The press alone, bare w/o the stand, roller handle, etc is now $400+. The scale is more than $100. The problem is unless you load for those calibers, you'll be selling off the die sets. The 270 & 308 are the same conversion plate but diff. powder thru expander. Go to the Brian Enos site. Add up the stuff you would want & then offer him 10% less. That would be fair price IMO. If you just want the press & the goodies that go with it, no dies or conversions, then $500 is a fair price for both of you. The list below is what you would price. add the dies if you want them, but they are uselss to you or you have to sell them off. If you buy the whole lot, I'll buy the 41mag setup off you w/ dies for $50 if they are carbide.

Dillon 550B with auto powder measure and auto primer system.
-Dust Cover
-Bullet Puller
-Strong Mount
-Aluminum Roller Handle
-Tool Head Stands (7)
-Tool Heads (8)
-Pick-up Tubes (small)
-Pick-up Tubes (large)
-extra small powder bar
-belted magnum powder bar
-early warning primer system
-auto eject system
Vortex Case Tumbler
-RCBS Rangemaster Electronic Scale
- a few odds and ends, including about 2k in various primers, some bullets and some crushed walnut and corn media
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-30-2009 at 21:58..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 00:15   #4
shotgunred
reloading nut

Ask him what he wants for it. If you make him a offer he might get offended. Let him set the price and if it to much tell him you would like to but isn't in the budget right now.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:08   #5
ron59
Bustin Caps

There's quite a bit of money in those toolheads and die setups. If you're not loading those calibers... they might not be worth too much for you yet he's going to want some money for them.

Of course, you might be able to eBay them, or sell them here on GT, but that is where the price is going to get "jacked up", is in all those caliber conversions, toolheads, and dies.

But YES, the blue kool-aid is indeed tasty. I bought mine just in March of this year, and I've loaded 8000 rounds so far with it.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:43   #6
PCJim

Sounds like you and your neighbor are on quite good terms. I, too, would ask him what he wants for the setup while letting him know that some of those calibers would not be of use to you (if they are of no use). If he's getting out of reloading, or simply trying to help out a fella just getting started, he could very well knowingly be giving you a "friends" discount just to feel good about the deal.

Like others have said, there's quite a bit of money invested in that list. Used Dillon products will generally bring 80%+ of current retail, and on eBay they oftentimes bring in retail (go figure....).
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14   #7
P+P

I paid retail when I bought my 550 and feel it's a good value at full price. a used press can easly sell for 75% of current prices.. Like others have said ask him what he's looking to get for the package and go from there .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by P+P; 12-31-2009 at 08:18..
P+P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:37   #8
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
if you want to make lots of ammo ... go for it
Old 12-31-2009, 10:35   #9
Three-Five-Seven
Seor Mombo

The dies are only worth something if they're calibers you shoot and want to load for.

Around here, when a guy wants to ditch his 550 for another press, or because he's moving on to sailing or auto racing, the going price is usually 250 to 300 bucks.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:19   #10
mattellis2

looking at retail prices, it is actually closer to $1900 worth of stuff. he wants $900 for it, but said he had a little wiggle room. i am really conflicted on this, because the only caliber that he has that i load for is .308 winchester, and i am not sure how much i can get out of reselling the additional toolheads/conversions/dies.

decisions, decisions.

-matt
Old 12-31-2009, 11:27   #11
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

$800 would be a great deal... you're not dead yet so you don't really know what you'll be loading for in the future plus it would be a great excuse to buy some more guns.

If you don't want it tell him I'm headed to Florida the third week of January... I'll buy the whole thing for that price and stop by and pick it up.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:00   #12
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattellis2 View Post
looking at retail prices, it is actually closer to $1900 worth of stuff. he wants $900 for it, but said he had a little wiggle room. i am really conflicted on this, because the only caliber that he has that i load for is .308 winchester, and i am not sure how much i can get out of reselling the additional toolheads/conversions/dies.

decisions, decisions.

-matt
"Offer him $800". He will bump you to $850. "OK sounds good" Fire up your EBAY acount and sell the stuff you know you will never need. Keep anything you might want (toolheads etc.) charge way to much for shipping on ebay and make even more money. Just not from me, thank you very much .
Even at $900 thats a awesome deal with the primers.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:47   #13
ron59
Bustin Caps

I would think you could get MORE than enough from those extra toolheads and dies to offset the difference.

Now that you have actual particulars, it sounds like a deal to me. You shouldn't have too much trouble at all selling those dies... maybe even here on GT.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2009, 23:35   #14
fredj338

Quote:

decisions, decisions.

-matt
He wants $900, offer him $750, he'll probably go $800. It's a good deal, not a great deal, but a good deal, especially if yo ucan sell off some of the other stuff. I am already in for the 41mag dies & conversion if you need a place to start. You can keep the conversion plate for the mag, all magnums use the same. The 308 plate is the same for 270, 8x57 & 45acp, so you may want to keep one.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 16:13   #15
mattellis2

well, i took the plunge. in addition to the stuff that i mentioned above, there are a couple of other sets of dies (2*270, and 2*308, and 30-06). The mag and extra small powder measures have never been used. He gave me ~4 lbs of powder, 2500 assorted primers and ~500 bullets of assorted varieties. i also scored his reloading library (some are a little dated), about 200 pieces of 270 brass, 50 each of 30-30 and 308 and a few ammo boxes. i also got 16 primer tubes (8 of each variety) and some parts and pieces that i have to do some research on to even figure out what they are!

sorry about the lack of organization...just got it unpacked from the boxes and sorted into respective piles.

there is a little surface rust on some of the dies from sitting up unused, but it is nothing a little steel wool and wd-40 can't take care of.

oh, all of it for $800.

now i need to find a user's manual to figure out how to set it up/run it. think i made an upgrade from my loadmaster?

Reloading

Reloading

Reloading
Old 01-01-2010, 16:19   #16
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Good score, you won't be sorry.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 16:27   #17
banjobob

Quote:

now i need to find a user's manual to figure out how to set it up/run it.
I think you can down load the manual from Dillon's website, I seem to remember doing the same for my 650 a year or so ago. Good luck and get busy, we all have TEOTWAWKI to prepare for.
banjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 16:32   #18
ron59
Bustin Caps

I think someone already said the manual is downloadable....

Here is a GREAT series of videos in YouTube... 5 each at 10 minutes for 50 minutes of total video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrb...eature=related

First video is more "general" info appropriate for ANY press, but then he gives explicit instructions for setting up each die, then how to run the press. It was from viewing this video that gave me the confidence that I was capable of doing it, and that the 550b was for me.

A MUST see for anyone knew to reloading, but especially the 550.

Quote:
Old 01-01-2010, 17:49   #19
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
sweet. I really like my 550B It's a pleasure to use. Empty brass in loaded rounds out. Outstanding
Old 01-01-2010, 20:06   #20
PCJim

Matt, it may seem like a chunk of change now, but you'll very soon realize that you made a very good purchase. Review the YouTube videos, take a good inventory and enjoy! Congratulations.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote