Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2009, 16:10   #1
polkhigh

I can't decide between...

LMT CQB MRP Defender Model 16
Colt 6940
Daniel Defense M4 Carbine

I am in the market for AR and have narrowed it down to these three. I actually had it down to the LMT and Colt but just found a deal on the DDM4 that I might not be able to give up ($1295). However, I am not too fond of the extended rail of the DDM4.

I've looked at the "chart" and I think anyone of these will be a great rifle, but wanted to get some opinions from the crowd, first hand experience?

Any advice for this AR newb?

Last edited by polkhigh; 05-16-2010 at 20:04..
polkhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 16:55   #2
Kegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkhigh View Post
Colt 6940

I am in the market for AR and have narrowed it down to these three. I actually had it down to the LMT and Colt but just found a deal on the DDM4 that I might not be able to give up ($1295). However, I am not too fond of the extended rail of the DDM4.

I've looked at the "chart" and I think anyone of these will be a great rifle, but wanted to get some opinions from the crowd, first hand experience?

Get a Noveske and be done with it. You'll never look back.
Kegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 17:18   #3
markman

You should also take a look at what Bravo Co. offers.
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 18:23   #4
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Either of the three would be a fine choice.
But, I'd agree with Kegel, a Noveske would be the shiznits!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 18:55   #5
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Agree with taking a look at Noveske and BCM. I personally went with Bravo, just because I like building my own.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 18:56   #6
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Can't go wrong with any of those. My choice would be a BCM Middy (or Noveske Recce if it's in your price range).
Old 12-28-2009, 19:28   #7
joe138

I have both the Colt and LMT. By far that LMT is my favorite. The ability to change barrels easily is a plus. (I intend to SBR it someday.) To me the quality of the LMT beats the Colt, an example is the front sight on the Colt.
joe138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 19:47   #8
Kegel

It was between the LMT and Noveske Recce when I bought mine. The mid length gas system and barrel is what sold me.
Kegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 19:56   #9
DrMaxit
Dirtbag Airman

I just bought a Bravo Co. middy and it is very nice. Shoots really well and is very high quality stuff. I got the one with the DD Lite rail on it and put an Eotech 512 and a surefire on the side on my Bushmaster lower. Very happy with it and it shoots like a dream.

Last edited by DrMaxit; 12-28-2009 at 19:58..
DrMaxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 19:58   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaxit View Post
I just bought a BCM middy and it is very nice. Shoots really well and is very high quality stuff. I got the one with the DD Lite rail on it and put an Eotech 512 and a surefire on the side on my Bushmaster lower. Very happy with it and it shoots like a dream.
I know a guy that's been trying to decide on an upper.
That has been one of his choices, that one is a great deal!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 20:00   #11
DrMaxit
Dirtbag Airman

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I know a guy that's been trying to decide on an upper.
That has been one of his choices, that one is a great deal!
Yeah if you say so, 1100 bucks or something, but I got the BFH option and the bolt/carrier group. Probably better deals out there but it is one sweet piece.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...bfh%20ddl9.htm

Black Rifle Forum
Old 12-28-2009, 20:09   #12
HogGlocker
Owner Since 88'

From years of using and toting this weapon through good, bad, ugly and worse.....not trying to spill any of the kool-aid out of the Colt cup either.....I'd say go LMT or the Bravo components.

Noveske...sure...seriously good hardware.

LMT or Bravo will serve you just as well and you can have some extra boot for necessary items.
Old 12-28-2009, 20:31   #13
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I would definitely include BCM into your consideration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 20:42   #14
USMC03

LMT make an excellent AR. I own 4 of their standard AR's. That being said every person that I personally know that has purchased a LMT MRP, ended up selling it.

I have 3 Colt LE6920's. I have shot the Daniel Defense guns but have never owned one.

I wrote the following on another forum a few hours ago:

I own 3 Colt LE6920's. I own several BCM guns.

I have used both at work, in training classes, training at work, personal training, and in competition.

If you look at rob_s' comparison and spec charts: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...jFwPrgTA&gid=5 you can see that they are exactly the same as far as features go (BCM has one more check mark - Lifetime Warranty).

With the Colt you are limited to basically a 11.5" barrel, 16" carbine barrel, or 20" rifle barrel.

BCM is over $100 less than Colt and BCM offers 11.5" barrels, 12.5" barrels, 14.5" carbine and mid legnt barrels, 16" carbine and mid-length barrels, 18" barrels, 20" barrels, and they also include complete uppers with rail systems from KAC, Larue, Daniel Defense, Midwest Industries, PRI, and others.

There is a reason BCM has become so popular. Quality that is on par with Colt, cheaper price, outstanding customer service, supporter of the Wounded Warrior project, supporter of the shooting sports (competition & training classes), and limitless choices.

I would take a hard look at www.bravocompanyusa.com ...... superior product, excellent customer service, outstanding price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Semper Fi,
Jeff
USMC03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:34   #15
pleaforwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
LMT make an excellent AR. I own 4 of their standard AR's. That being said every person that I personally know that has purchased a LMT MRP, ended up selling it.

I have 3 Colt LE6920's. I have shot the Daniel Defense guns but have never owned one.

I wrote the following on another forum a few hours ago:

I own 3 Colt LE6920's. I own several BCM guns.

I have used both at work, in training classes, training at work, personal training, and in competition.

If you look at rob_s' comparison and spec charts: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...jFwPrgTA&gid=5 you can see that they are exactly the same as far as features go (BCM has one more check mark - Lifetime Warranty).

With the Colt you are limited to basically a 11.5" barrel, 16" carbine barrel, or 20" rifle barrel.

BCM is over $100 less than Colt and BCM offers 11.5" barrels, 12.5" barrels, 14.5" carbine and mid legnt barrels, 16" carbine and mid-length barrels, 18" barrels, 20" barrels, and they also include complete uppers with rail systems from KAC, Larue, Daniel Defense, Midwest Industries, PRI, and others.

There is a reason BCM has become so popular. Quality that is on par with Colt, cheaper price, outstanding customer service, supporter of the Wounded Warrior project, supporter of the shooting sports (competition & training classes), and limitless choices.

I would take a hard look at www.bravocompanyusa.com ...... superior product, excellent customer service, outstanding price.
Jeff,
Out of curiosity, what is your relationship with Bravo Company? I have noticed that your photographs and website show watermarks bearing the BCM logo, yet you refer to Bravo Company as if you are only an enthusiast.

Please don't take this post as being accusative, I'm just confused on the matter.

Semper Fi,
Dan

ETA: To the OP, all of the choices you listed are excellent rifles. If you decide that the monolithic setup is most important to you, then I would go with the Colt. If you don't care about that aspect, then I would go with the Daniel Defense. That being said, my opinion is completely subjective. You can't go wrong with the options you listed.

Last edited by pleaforwar; 12-29-2009 at 02:40..
pleaforwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:54   #16
Glock-it-to-me
Catching liars

I've got the Daniel Defense and it's perfect.
Glock-it-to-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:51   #17
crusader4x

I went with the BCM middy just a couple of months ago. LOVE IT!
crusader4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:54   #18
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkhigh View Post
Colt 6940

You will learn to love the extended rail as it allows you to put your light up front and your hand where it belongs on the hand guard. Plus the DD is a hell of a deal right now.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:59   #19
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I like the full extended rails like the Colt Monolithic and Stag 2HT. Seamless rail so you can mount whatever you want and not worry about the gaps for the delta ring getting in the way or whatnot.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03   #20
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleaforwar View Post
Jeff,
Out of curiosity, what is your relationship with Bravo Company? I have noticed that your photographs and website show watermarks bearing the BCM logo, yet you refer to Bravo Company as if you are only an enthusiast.

Please don't take this post as being accusative, I'm just confused on the matter.

Semper Fi,
Dan

ETA: To the OP, all of the choices you listed are excellent rifles. If you decide that the monolithic setup is most important to you, then I would go with the Colt. If you don't care about that aspect, then I would go with the Daniel Defense. That being said, my opinion is completely subjective. You can't go wrong with the options you listed.
USMC03 is a regular and respected poster here and a moderator at other forums. He is only plugging a company he has had good luck with. Hell I will plug Bravo Company they are great!!
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote