Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:45   #1
Bones507

Got my primers from Wideners

Got 5000 SP and 3000 LP Wolf brand from Wideners today, ordered them on the 14th so that was quick. Never used them before and primed 100 nickel 9mm starline cases with them, they went in a little tight but i had that experience with Starline brass on the first priming in 45 acp also, but the second loading the primers went in easy on the 45,s. I will let you guys know what i think when i get to the range on tues.
Oh, and all you guys have a safe happy healthy New Years eve.
Bones507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:18   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I'll be watching this... I'm ok on Winchester right now, but Wideners seems to frequently have Wolf in stock, so I'm curious.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:54   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'll be watching this... I'm ok on Winchester right now, but Wideners seems to frequently have Wolf in stock, so I'm curious.

IGF
Been loading the Wolf spp's from Wideners for the last couple thousand rounds in 9mm, 40 S&W and not .380 ACP no problems thus far...
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member

Last edited by Boxerglocker; 01-01-2010 at 12:44..
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:55   #4
Colorado4Wheel

I just got 20K CCI that I paid for 2 days ago from Powder Valley. They ship FAST.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:25   #5
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I just got 20K CCI that I paid for 2 days ago from Powder Valley. They ship FAST.
Just got a variety of SP, LP, SR and two kegs of powder that I paid for 9 days ago. Guess the powder slowed the order down .
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53   #6
Gunfighter01

i have a G34 for competition, it has a Vanek Trigger kit in it. I bought 2000 Wolf small pistol, loaded up 200 rounds. First stage on an uspsa match, i could not get one round to light off. I was tap racking faster than i was shooting rounds down range. They guys said, try putting on a Stock Striker Spring. So i run back to the truck real quick, an install the stock Striker spring. Next stage an the rest of the day,,,,,,,although it was better, i was still getting at least 2 misfires per stage, which is unacceptable to me. I came home, an did some research, and alot of people are having trouble with Wolf, when they have the nickle plated primers. It seems that the old brass primers were good to go, but these nickle ones just wont fire. Tomorrow, im taking my 19 , which is totally stock and going to shoot an idpa match with them, if they dont work then, im trashing them,,,,,,i'll switch to Federals. Winchester is impossible to find but, it kinda looks like Federals are becoming easier to come by.
Gunfighter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:06   #7
squirreld

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
Just got a variety of SP, LP, SR and two kegs of powder that I paid for 9 days ago. Guess the powder slowed the order down .
Im pretty sure they have to ship the powder and primers in seperate containers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 1

Part 2
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 22:07   #8
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I ordered 2000 PMC primers today from Widener's. It's all they had left.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:29   #9
kcbrown

Just got 10K CCI SP primers from Graf's that I'd ordered in July.

I'm now set for at least a year or two, hopefully.

Here's hoping the primer situation returns to some semblance of sanity...
kcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:46   #10
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreld View Post
Nope. You would think so but they ship powder and primer together all the time.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:28   #11
Bultx1215

That's interesting, Gunfighter. I know a guy in Vegas that reloads .45acp for competition shooters and has run Wolfies now for a while without a hiccup. I ordered some from Wideners at the end of summer and they have been flawless to date. All (SP, LP and LR) were made in May of '09 and have brass colored cups. What was your primers' born on date??
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:07   #12
Bones507

Quote:
No, i got 8 lbs of Universal along with 8000 primers in the same package the other day. I think it used to be that they had to ship seperately but no more.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:44   #13
Jon_R
Silver Membership

I have been using Wolf exclusively for over a year now and they have been fine with me but I have not made any functional modifications on my pistols. I am running Glocks, M&Ps, SA 1911s, and XDs. The only one I have changed something significant internal is I put a stronger recoil and striker spring on my G35 since I shoot PF 165 I wanted a heavier recoil spring.

I am happy with them but I switched to them because they where cheap and available. If something else comes along that works better for me I will give something else a shot.

I also add that I am an action shooter not a bullseye shooter. I never shoot for groups so I can't comment on that. As long as I can get As and Down Zeroes, cycle the gun, and go bang I am happy.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:53   #14
Gunfighter01

well, i shot about a 100 wolf small pistol primers yesterday. We shot them in different guns,,,,,,one was a G34 with a 2.5# Vanek trigger kit,,,,,my G19 aslo with a 2.5# Vanek trigger kit, and a SigSauer 228 with a stock trigger. Every round went bang, no misfires. These are the new nickle plated primers. The only thing we can figure out is,,,,,,the first time, they werent seated all the way. I read an article on primers in uspsa's Frontsight magazine about primers and it said, usually the problem with primers not going bang is , not getting them seated enough, it said that there is really no such thing as a hard primers anymore,,,,,soooooo,,,,,,if you try an use wolf, just be very sure that you have them seated all the way, and hopefully you will be good to go. The article did say,,,,,,,if your primer does not go bang on the first strike, but it goes bang on the second strike,,,,,,its because it wasnt seated all of the way,,,,,,,,,,,and thats exactly what happened on the first try with the wolfs.
Gunfighter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 14:14   #15
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:

You are kind of correct. They can ship up to 48 pounds of combined primers and powders, but they must be in seperate packaging inside of the larger package. They usually just box up one or the other and that satifies the requirement for seperation within the outer package.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 14:16   #16
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter01 View Post
well, i shot about a 100 wolf small pistol primers yesterday. We shot them in different guns,,,,,,one was a G34 with a 2.5# Vanek trigger kit,,,,,my G19 aslo with a 2.5# Vanek trigger kit, and a SigSauer 228 with a stock trigger. Every round went bang, no misfires. These are the new nickle plated primers. The only thing we can figure out is,,,,,,the first time, they werent seated all the way. I read an article on primers in uspsa's Frontsight magazine about primers and it said, usually the problem with primers not going bang is , not getting them seated enough, it said that there is really no such thing as a hard primers anymore,,,,,soooooo,,,,,,if you try an use wolf, just be very sure that you have them seated all the way, and hopefully you will be good to go. The article did say,,,,,,,if your primer does not go bang on the first strike, but it goes bang on the second strike,,,,,,its because it wasnt seated all of the way,,,,,,,,,,,and thats exactly what happened on the first try with the wolfs.
Of all the complaints I have sen with the Wolf, it has always come back to improper seating. Not that I have seen many complaints, but there was a big hoopla back in July or so, IIRC.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 15:07   #17
Bones507

I finally got out there today and had a bunch of loads i wanted to test out. The Wolf primers had one that failed to go off the first time but after rechambering it, it went off the second time, this was SP. I only had 50 rounds with me so i dont know how conclusive this was, but its the first time in a looooong time that i can remember a primer failing to go off.
Old 01-12-2010, 16:08   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Some people seem to have issues. My buddy sure did. And he loads a ton of ammo and never had issues till he got the wolf. Seem 1 or 2 every practice session. Be sure they are fully seated. Thats the biggest issue. He has had a couple come through with no anvil. That ain't going to work at all.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:25   #19
Bones507

Steve, if thats the worst i do, 1 ftf for every 50 rounds, i will be happy. Im only using them for range shooting anyway so its no big deal. I got 5000 of them in SP and 3000 in LP. I did shoot some rounds i had loaded over 2 years ago, it was a 115 fmj under 6.2 grs of power pistol. Man this load gave off a flash when it went off, i was a little surprised myself, not too accurate either. I only had loaded like 150 of them to test it out but never got round to it.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:59   #20
Colorado4Wheel

He had to use his Wolf up in practice and another brand for match's.