Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2009, 15:56   #1
jkchan83

Advantage Arms Conversion Kit for Glock Review

I received a new Advantage Arms 17-22 Law Enforcement .22LR Conversion Kit for my Glock last night. I took it to the range this morning and put it on my Glock 34 frame. Here are my initial thoughts.

I had a small amount of trouble getting the slide mounted. I eventually figured out that the recoil spring assembly was blocking the slide. The barrel lug has a very, very small notch for the recoil spring guide. You have to make sure that the guide is exactly in the notch or it will drop down and block the slide from going back on the frame.

Once I got it assembled, I loaded the magazine. The magazines are nice, but could (and should) hold greater than 10 rounds. The magazine has plastic feed lips, which Iím not sure I like, but which seem to work for now. The relatively tall feed lips made it a little harder for me to load the little .22LR rounds in the magazine with my fat fingers, at first. I used the magazine loader and eventually found a way to load rounds by hand. It takes some practice.

Actually shooting the gun was the best part of the trip. After reading other comments online, I decided to use CCI Mini-mags to break in the new slide. I fired 100 rounds without a single problem. Out of the box, the gun fired slightly left of point of aim. With the adjustable rear sight, I was able to dial it in quickly. (FYI: on the Glock adjustable rear sight, the rear screw adjusts elevation and the front screw adjusts windage.) The gun has very little recoil, despite the light weight of the polymer frame. Itís very controllable and I would not hesitate to take a new shooter out with this slide.

After the 100 rounds, I switched to Remington Golden Bullets, which most people recommended for use after breaking in with CCI Mini-mags. I started to run into some problems. I had 1 failure to extract that caused a double-feed. The slide was able to come forward enough to strip the next round off the top of the magazine and drive it up the feed ramp. The pressure of the second round trying to enter the chamber wedged the case into the chamber. It would not come out with repeated attempts to rack the slide. After removing the magazine and locking the slide back, I was able to use the included cleaning rod to knock the shell casing out of the chamber. I also had 1 failure to feed with the Golden Bullets.

The jams could have been caused by a number of factors, not the least of which is that I had already fired 100+ rounds before the jam occurred. I will use Golden Bullets exclusively next time to see if the culprit is bad ammo. I will also try shooting more than 100 rounds of Mini-mags, too.

After shooting with the .22 slide, I switched back to my 9mm slide. I found that my shooting was more consistent. I was definitely more aware of my fundamentals after practicing with the lower-recoiling .22LR.

So far, I am very glad that I purchased the Advantage Arms slide. I really like that it keeps the regular Glock controls, including locking the slide back on the last round. The mag catch and slide stop levers work as expected and the trigger pull was almost exactly the same as with the 9mm slide. It is a lot cheaper to shoot and allows me to focus on my shooting fundamentals. (As an additional benefit, it is a lot harder to see .22 caliber holes in the target. That means I am less prone to ďsearch for the holeĒ and can focus on keeping my focus on my front sight.)

Bottom Line: I highly recommend the Advantage Arms Conversion Kit for Glock.
jkchan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 16:50   #2
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
My wife and I sent about 400 rounds of Golden Bullets down range one day last week.
The only problem we encountered was a pair of failure to ignite rounds.
Old 12-08-2009, 16:57   #3
greatwun

Send a message via AIM to greatwun
Good to hear. I only use CCI mini nags on mine and usually only have 1 malfunction out of every 300 rounds. Still a pretty good kit and well worth the money.
greatwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:04   #4
MSW

Advantage Arms 17-22 Law Enforcement .22LR Conversion Kit ====

What's one of these run?

Can it be shipped w/o a FFL?
MSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:08   #5
eringobragh

I just got a 17-22 LE kit two weeks ago and it has been great!

The wife and I have put about 200 rounds of 40gr Rem Golden Bullets thru it with 100% reliability. Have put about another 200 rounds of 36gr Rem Golden Bullets thru it with only a handful of various malfunctions.

I haven't been able to find any CCI Mini-Mags in our area.

#2103-Big Dawg Club, #1134-21 Club, G36 Club, Niner's Club, G19 Niner's Club, Sub Club, Rimfire Club, Florida Glocker's Club, Black Rifle Club, Kalashnikov Klub, 1911 Club
eringobragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:29   #6
robertwh

I have one for my 21 and have run close to 800 rounds through it. Well worth the investment. I shoot Rem. Golden and CCI through mine and have very few malfunctions. Very reliable!
John 3:36
robertwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:31   #7
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Congrats ,,love mine for the G17 ,at about 700 rounds without a failure with Rem Golden Bullets
TcRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:11   #8
brianr34

I have the 22 kit for my G19 and it is very nice overall. I have better luck with the Rem Golden Bullets than I do with the CCI mini-mags.

It is nice going to the range and shooting 200-300 rounds and not spending a lot of money. Also, my 13 yr old daughter is starting to shoot and it is easier for her to shoot the 22.
brianr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:26   #9
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

I have one as well and they are good for cheap practice.

Retail is $265 w/cleaning kit and you use to be able to order them direct from the manufacturer. You can still order some of the kits from them, but some must be ordered/bought from a dealer. This was as "temporary, indefinite" change made due to demand (my understanding of it). They can be purchased for almost any Glock model. They do not require a FFL to recieve, since they are not considered a firearm. They are simply an accessory to be used on an existing gun.

They are worth the money if you shoot a lot. They dont' simulate real shooting in a lot of ways (primarily recoil and noise), but you get a lot of trigger and sight time for cheap money.
Old 12-08-2009, 18:29   #10
petekim

I have a kit for my G-27. NEVER had a malfunction with Mini Mags and very few with GB's. No FFL required.
petekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:35   #11
pakettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSW View Post
Advantage Arms 17-22 Law Enforcement .22LR Conversion Kit ====

What's one of these run?

Can it be shipped w/o a FFL?
Received one for my glock 17 a week ago direct from AA, $305 with an extra mag and shipping. Shipped UPS direct to buyer, does not have to go through an FFL dealer. These are great kits, I had one for a glock 19 and a 26 some time ago.
pakettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:45   #12
Elmer Fudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchan83 View Post
The magazines are nice, but could (and should) hold greater than 10 rounds.[/B]
I just bought two of the 19-23 kits, and have fired around 700 rounds through one of them. As AA says, they do not like Federal bulk pack, although my bulk packs were 5 years old, so that might be part of the issue. Probably half the rounds were FTF or FTE. Minimags did much better. I have some GBs and a bunch of other brands to try out next time.

I believe AA is legally restricted from making more than a 10 round magazine, since they are based in California.
Elmer Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 20:11   #13
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Dang I e-mailed them a few days ago and they said they have over 500 back ordered. Seems like a very long wait.
Old 12-08-2009, 20:55   #14
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

I have a 29/30 LE model and really like it - I intend to use it for small game hunting eventually, but want to test it for precision first. I'm about 2-3 weeks out from that - but eventually, I'll get to it.

They claim 2" @ 25y and I believe that's just about right - though definitely noticed that different rounds shoot with different precision (the Remington target rounds - blue & green box) work pretty good.

One note I had is that while Federal "champion" rounds (blue box) will fail to eject 9/10 times, the Federal premium "Gold Medal" target (Red/black/gold box #719) work extremely well (very few failures of any type) and my initial testing shows they actually produce among the tightest groups of any round I've tried through my AA conversion.

I have had a significantly higher failure (to feed & eject) than most have with their conversion kits. I am not sure what the reason is for this, but it could be due to the magazines.

The mini-mags are also a good round in this unit. In fact, as I look at my notes, those three (Fed #719, Remington target, and mini-mag - both hp and solids) worked well.

The golden bullets didn't work very well for me...lots of failure to extracts with those - and that was with the small lot boxes... This gun likes high velocity rounds - it won't work very well at all with any of the standard velocity rounds I have tried. It does work very well with CCI velocitors (hyper velocity - not recommended) - though I was just plinking with those a bit and did not note precision with them - I had no failures at all with CCI velocitors or small game bullets (SGB gave horrible precision in this unit - not worth bothering with).

I have many more rounds to try in this unit. I'll be looking for 40gr. solids in the 1150-1300 fps (published rifle velocities) range for further testing...

Last edited by Kegs; 12-08-2009 at 20:59..
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 21:50   #15
cmcinc

Thanks for the review. Now I just need to get my hands on one.
Old 12-08-2009, 21:59   #16
Wulfgang

I have had one on backorder for my G19 since 2/15/2009.

Every Sunday morning I receive an e-mail, "Thank you for your patience".
Wulfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 23:06   #17
OVERTHEHILLGUY

Does anyone know WHY Federal bulk pack fails to work in the conversion?? They should be loaded SAMMI specs.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
OVERTHEHILLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 23:17   #18
AgentAdam
Glock Master

Probably the truncated cone shape bullet instead of the round nose type profile of the MiniMag, Rem Golden Bullet, ect. Too bad. I really like Federal bulk.
AgentAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 23:25   #19
OVERTHEHILLGUY

HMMMMMMM. good point!

OVERTHEHILLGUY
OVERTHEHILLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 00:54   #20
Elmer Fudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
I have had one on backorder for my G19 since 2/15/2009.

Every Sunday morning I receive an e-mail, "Thank you for your patience".
From who, Advantage Arms? I ordered one direct from themSep. 1, 2009, and just got it a few days ago.
Elmer Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote