GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 14:36   #1
umrek
NRA Member
 
umrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 120
40S&W Load Velocity?

Anyone have an idea of what velocity (ballpark) you'd get from the following 40S&W load:

40S&W - 180gr Lead TCFP w/4.2gr of Win231

I've been loading this round for a few years and don't recall where I got the load data from.... its not in my reloading books. Or maybe someone has a load range for 180gr with Win231?

Thanks
__________________
BHO - "... ask not what you can do for your country---ask what your socialized country can do for you."
umrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 15:34   #2
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.
 
Patrick Graham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kokomo Indiana
Posts: 5,458


Quote:
Originally Posted by umrek View Post
Anyone have an idea of what velocity (ballpark) you'd get from the following 40S&W load:

40S&W - 180gr Lead TCFP w/4.2gr of Win231

I've been loading this round for a few years and don't recall where I got the load data from.... its not in my reloading books. Or maybe someone has a load range for 180gr with Win231?

Thanks
The Lyman 49 manual lists the lowest w231 40 S&W charge for the 175gr TC Lyman @ 4.3 gr.

They list a velocity of 796 fps for that load.
__________________
Never feed a cat anything that isn't the same color as the carpet.
Patrick Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 00:15   #3
jing1117
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 270
Don't have the 4.2g data but have the 4.5g W231 - had it going 927-938fps, 1.125" oal, using Federal small pistol primers. Fired from a G22 with a lone wolf barrel.
jing1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 00:45   #4
shotgunred
reloading nut
 
shotgunred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N W Washington
Posts: 7,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Graham View Post
The Lyman 49 manual lists the lowest w231 40 S&W charge for the 175gr TC Lyman @ 4.3 gr.

They list a velocity of 796 fps for that load.
SO?

I use 3.8gr 231 w 180 Rainier's for IDPA mouse farts.
they squeak by in the low 700 fps for 128 to 130 pf.
they function in stock glocks.

they are so soft its almost cheating!
__________________
When dealing with Democrats, let us remember we are
not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with
creatures of emotion, creatures bristling with prejudices
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33   #5
steve4102
Senior Member
 
steve4102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,094
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
steve4102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 14:25   #6
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,891
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
SO?

I use 3.8gr 231 w 180 Rainier's for IDPA mouse farts.
they squeak by in the low 700 fps for 128 to 130 pf.
they function in stock glocks.

they are so soft its almost cheating!
Yeah, I'ld like to see them ammend the IDPA rules to allow only factory equiv. vel ammo. It seems the point of IDPA is to run realistic combat scenarios & realistic guns. Then they allow mousefart loads, makes no sense to me. When I do shoot a match, I always use full power ammo. I've even had guys comment, "wow, pretty hot ammo". Not really, just factory spec. Practice like you play.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 14:39   #7
shotgunred
reloading nut
 
shotgunred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N W Washington
Posts: 7,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Yeah, I'ld like to see them ammend the IDPA rules to allow only factory equiv. vel ammo. It seems the point of IDPA is to run realistic combat scenarios & realistic guns. Then they allow mousefart loads, makes no sense to me. When I do shoot a match, I always use full power ammo. I've even had guys comment, "wow, pretty hot ammo". Not really, just factory spec. Practice like you play.
I would have no problem with that at all. I would just like it to be a level playing field for everyone. With power pistol I needed to be around 150 Pf just to run the gun. But I like PP. its fun to shoot and I have 8 pounds of it at home.

I would like to change that stupid 10 round rule. I know you are stuck with it but it makes no sense to me at all. I would never down load my carry gun in real life. If I wanted low capacity I would carry my lady smith or a 45. The only thing worst is when a revolver guy makes the course and limits everyone to 6 rounds. Yes it does happen here several times a year.
__________________
When dealing with Democrats, let us remember we are
not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with
creatures of emotion, creatures bristling with prejudices
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 15:01   #8
umrek
NRA Member
 
umrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Graham View Post
The Lyman 49 manual lists the lowest w231 40 S&W charge for the 175gr TC Lyman @ 4.3 gr.

They list a velocity of 796 fps for that load.

That 175gr should be moving a little faster, so maybe I'm getting around 780fps?
__________________
BHO - "... ask not what you can do for your country---ask what your socialized country can do for you."
umrek is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 974
304 Members
670 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31