Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2010, 15:45   #1
kubura

Dillon SD B belling question

Happy New Year, all!

Do I need a tool in order to increase the bell by turning down the powder die
clockwise on a Dillon Squeare Deal B? I 've tried with my fingers, but it did not move.

Thanks.
kubura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 16:46   #2
kubura

Never mind, I figured it out.

Desregard, please.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21   #3
jtarbet2

Thinking of getting a Dillon SD B. How do you like yours?
jtarbet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:25   #4
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtarbet2 View Post
Thinking of getting a Dillon SDB. How do you like yours?
If your requirements are for straight wall pistol ONLY, particularly for just a couple of calibers or as a single dedicated press. At 300 -500 rounds an hour the SDB is a great progressive press.
I would however not pay full retail for one and look around for a used SDB. With the Dillion lifetime no BS warranty it can't be beat.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:29   #5
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:

Psssst... Psssst... LNL! Hey, you've got cop hair.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Dillon has the instructions available for download on their website.
Old 01-11-2010, 18:21   #7
kubura

Quote:
It's a great machine. As long as you know you will never, ever want to load rifle it is a perfect little press to use for standard handgun calibers.

The dies are proprietary so you can only get them from Dillon but the cost is not extreme and like most of there products will stand the test of use and time.

My SDB is my first progressive self-indexing press for reloading 45ACP. It came almost ready to load with the dies already setted. The quality is great and the customer service is unbeatable.

The SDB will make a gazillion rounds of handgun caliber for many trouble free years. For the money and performance you cannot go wrong for a pistol only loading platform.
Old 01-11-2010, 21:46   #8
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
I wouldn't go any lower than a 550. More caliber versatility if you choose to expand in the future, the machine is smoother with better ergonomics, it takes less effort to operate it, and there is much more room to work with when it comes to placing the cases and bullets. You wouldn't think it would, but it makes a huge difference in comfort.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:37   #9
ChaneyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
I wouldn't go any lower than a 550. More caliber versatility if you choose to expand in the future, the machine is smoother with better ergonomics, it takes less effort to operate it, and there is much more room to work with when it comes to placing the cases and bullets. You wouldn't think it would, but it makes a huge difference in comfort.
Ditto on the 550!! Have used the SDB, 650. Only do the 550 now.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34   #10
coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaneyD View Post
Ditto on the 550!! Have used the SDB, 650. Only do the 550 now.
Having owned the 650xl (for .45acp and .38/.357) my opinion is the opposite. For low-mid volume handgun only loading I think the SBD is the ideal, most cost-effective "value" press for most shooters. Better priming system than the 650, easier to setup/use, smaller and far more affordable than either. If you ever plan to load rifle, the SDB is not your press.

I'd buy used. I have two SDBs. Bought one LNIB for ~$300 w/ extra parts and two complete conversions (toolhead/dies) for .45acp AND 38/357, and the other like new for ~$240 w/ Dillon scale, extra parts and two complete conversions (toolhead/dies) for 9mm AND 38/357. (I sold some of the extras, saving even more.) I pretty much got both SDBs (for a comparable used deal) in a comparably equiped 550, and MUCH less than the same in the 650.

On the 9mm press, I broke the hanging primer cup bracket (my fault), the (old style) frame cracked at the rear foot at about 8k and the toolhead ripped a station off around 10k. Free repair/replacement from Dillon, good as new. No BS lifetime warrenty can't be beat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
|
|
(
/
) |
|
|
coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:48   #11
Colorado4Wheel

Comparing used to new is not fair (especially when you get a smoking good deal). Not even close. Find a used 550/650 and its the same deal. Reality is you buy the press on what you need it to do. Any press bought cheap is a good deal. Kinda amazing how that works. 550 has a nice roller handle. I really like mine now. I would not want to use the smaller Dillon ball all the time. You can get Pool Balls for a good price, that might be a good option for the SDB.
Old 01-18-2010, 15:20   #12
ChaneyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by coal View Post
Having owned the 650xl (for .45acp and .38/.357) my opinion is the opposite. For low-mid volume handgun only loading I think the SBD is the ideal, most cost-effective "value" press for most shooters. Better priming system than the 650, easier to setup/use, smaller and far more affordable than either. If you ever plan to load rifle, the SDB is not your press.
Disagree. 550 is the way to go. Conversion kits and dies are MUCH higher than 550 or 650.