Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2010, 00:06   #1
PersonOfInterest

Tryed some different rounds through a car door and wooden door - pics taken

Did some testing over the last 2 weeks in between some other stuff i had going on, i was using various loads and some wet news print (not a massive believer in mediums as gospel but just for the hell of it) i used 1 car door and 1 wooden door to see how much theyd slow down the selection of rounds i was using, i have done this before years ago using guns i had at the time.
Since then 3 years ago i got a .357sig thought it was time see how it went compared to some other cals, i dont have a .45 (never got into them) had too many problems with them so i stuck with other rounds
through the car door i used
9mm FMJ (just cci blaser)
357sig FMJ
357sig Gold Dot
9mm XTP at 1300fps
.40 UMC 180gn JHP
.40 FMJ PMC 165gn
What i found in this case was that all projectiles failed to get enough expansion to stay in the medium (measured 15" end to end) - all except for 2 which were the 357sig Gold Dots which stopped at 14" althought they didnt expand as per normal i was impressed they stopped where as all the other in that list passed through and through.
In the case of the wooden door (solid wood measured 30mm in width)
i used
9mm XTP at 1300fps 124gn
357sig FMJ
357sig Gold Dot
357magnum 125gn Federal JHP
357magnum 145gn Silvertip
.40 FMJ 165gn PMC
.40 180gn JHP WWB
Once again speed won, the 357mag stayed inside and still managed to expand out to about the 14" mark, i recovered 1 357sig Gold Dot (the other passed through) as for all the others once again they punched through and through.
I was 15 yards from each when i fired. Heres the pics
the 9mm 124gn Gold Dots i didnt include in either of these tests i just loaded them up to 1300fps to see how theyd perform.
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
The first 2 fired went through the car door where as the 3rd went through the wooden door, the last went straight into the newsprint.
PersonOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03   #2
Ak.Hiker

From the pictures it looks like the old Federal 125 grain JHP 357 Magnum expanded nicely and kept its weight. You hear a lot of talk about the latest designs and there are better picks in a lot of calibers but I have never heard any one say the 125 grain JHP in 357 Magnum is out dated. We still have some old designs on the market that worked years ago and will still work today. Of course if you were running a hunting bullet in the 357 Magnum penetration would have been much deeper.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 20:55   #3
PersonOfInterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post
From the pictures it looks like the old Federal 125 grain JHP 357 Magnum expanded nicely and kept its weight. You hear a lot of talk about the latest designs and there are better picks in a lot of calibers but I have never heard any one say the 125 grain JHP in 357 Magnum is out dated. We still have some old designs on the market that worked years ago and will still work today. Of course if you were running a hunting bullet in the 357 Magnum penetration would have been much deeper.
Yes thats true - to me the 125gn JHP or SJHP has never let me down in any way shape or form, true also about using a hunting bullet in the 357magnum, if that had been an XTP id say it would have gone through and through, using the 9mm and a 124gn XTP loaded to run at 1300fps it zipped through and kept going.
Ill put those 2 357magnum on the scales to see what weight they lost, the gold Dot from the 357sig didnt seem to lose any weight whatsoever.
Old 01-02-2010, 21:54   #4
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:

Amen !

I been saying on here for ever that it is a great round, but a good deal of the time the replies come back to the more "this generation" designer bullets.

I really like the Fed 125 JHP. Even in the SP101 it is a great round.

Fun shootin those car doors ain't it POI ?

We shoot the heck out of old trucks and other machinery out here on the ranch in a big pit we have dug out for the Junk pile metal grave yard. ha.

Good shooting !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:58   #5
Ak.Hiker

It sounds like the 124 grain Gold Dot that is designed for the 9mm even when running at 1300 still holds up well. The tougher 125 grain Gold Dot designed for the 357 Sig must really be a tough bullet. I know that the 158 grain Gold Dot designed for the 357 Magnum is tough enough that it reminds me of a JSP. I bet those heavier Gold Dots would work well for hunting medium game.
Old 01-03-2010, 00:00   #6
PersonOfInterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Amen !

I been saying on here for ever that it is a great round, but a good deal of the time the replies come back to the more "this generation" designer bullets.

I really like the Fed 125 JHP. Even in the SP101 it is a great round.

Fun shootin those car doors ain't it POI ?

We shoot the heck out of old trucks and other machinery out here on the ranch in a big pit we have dug out for the Junk pile metal grave yard. ha.

Good shooting !

CanyonMan
Yep cant beat a 125gn JHP from the wheel gun in any form IMO the Federal round to me is slightly newer (in the past when i did alot of revolver shooting i used PMC and Winchester 125gn because it was common) however the Federal is looking as good if not better, the 125gn JHP served me well on taking large numbers of wild animals - never let me down.

The place where those pics where taken is the family farm - goes back 5 Generations on my dads side its 400 acres we used to lease 1000 other acres nearby to run cattle on now we dont bother we just 40 head to keep the grass down.

I used to shoot up car bodies there all the time since then thought my dad has cleaned up all the junk there using his dozer so all the cars are gone just the odd door and hood laying around nowdays.

The Federal 357's actually went through a wooden door - i didnt bother using the wheelgun on the car door this been there done that, wooden door was interesting however.
Old 01-03-2010, 00:06   #7
PersonOfInterest

Just put some of the projectiles on the scale looks like the 357mag lost some weight! 83gns and 113gns were the revcovered weights, interestingly the gold dot in 124gn 9mm @ 1300fps only lost .08 of a grain, another interesting point the Winchester 9mm 147gn JHP loaded to 1050fps measured out to .62 and still weighed 146.8gns - pretty impressive.
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
Caliber Corner
Old 01-03-2010, 00:15   #8
PersonOfInterest

Quote:
It sounds like the 124 grain Gold Dot that is designed for the 9mm even when running at 1300 still holds up well. The tougher 125 grain Gold Dot designed for the 357 Sig must really be a tough bullet. I know that the 158 grain Gold Dot designed for the 357 Magnum is tough enough that it reminds me of a JSP. I bet those heavier Gold Dots would work well for hunting medium game.
Yep i was pretty impressed with 124gn GD i honestly think for defense its maybe better run at no higher speed than 1300fps (unless its in a short barrelled gun) get any faster the 125gn SIG version really works out well, if you were loading the 9mm at SIG speeds itd be perfect, i use the 125gn in the 357sig and so far ive nailed about 40 wild goats running them at 1380fps so far its worked great! shot a big billy on a hillside he must of weighed 170lbs 1 shot did the job.
Old 01-03-2010, 00:30   #9
Ak.Hiker

I figured the 125 grain Gold Dot either in 357 Sig or 357 Magnum would be a real good choice for medium game or a good combination field and self defense load. I have some 158 grain Gold Dots in 357 Magnum that I like but I may have to give the 125 GD a try. I do however feel pretty well protected with the Federal 125 in my SP 101. I would think the Gold Dot 125 would give more penetration but as Canyon Man stated the Federal has never failed him.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:21   #10
PersonOfInterest

Quote:
I figured the 125 grain Gold Dot either in 357 Sig or 357 Magnum would be a real good choice for medium game or a good combination field and self defense load. I have some 158 grain Gold Dots in 357 Magnum that I like but I may have to give the 125 GD a try. I do however feel pretty well protected with the Federal 125 in my SP 101. I would think the Gold Dot 125 would give more penetration but as Canyon Man stated the Federal has never failed him.
The same idea youve got with the Gold Dot also applies to the Hornady XTP i think both are almost equal in pentration respects, to be honest i never got into 158gn JHP or soft points - not because i dont like them more due to the fact the 125gn was getting the job done, even on some very big animals with heavy bones etc it worked just fine, ive actually handloaded to 125gn GD in .357 in the magnum - in a 4" wheelgun i get it moving at 1580fps and damn does it make a mess - definately give em a try.
Old 01-04-2010, 22:57   #11
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Yep cant beat a 125gn JHP from the wheel gun in any form IMO the Federal round to me is slightly newer (in the past when i did alot of revolver shooting i used PMC and Winchester 125gn because it was common) however the Federal is looking as good if not better, the 125gn JHP served me well on taking large numbers of wild animals - never let me down.

The place where those pics where taken is the family farm - goes back 5 Generations on my dads side its 400 acres we used to lease 1000 other acres nearby to run cattle on now we dont bother we just 40 head to keep the grass down.

I used to shoot up car bodies there all the time since then thought my dad has cleaned up all the junk there using his dozer so all the cars are gone just the odd door and hood laying around nowdays.

The Federal 357's actually went through a wooden door - i didn't bother using the wheelgun on the car door this been there done that, wooden door was interesting however.

Hey Amigo,

Yep, back in my barely teen days ( I'm 58 now). I was shooting lots of game with the 125 357mag JHP. I hear ya. It still works. (although I have jumped up to the 45LC on most all medium to large/big game now), I have not really had the chance, or took the chance I should say to try out the Speer offering in that weight. I'll have to try some. "Glad to see another country boy here".

I cowboyed back home in Oklahoma panhandle on 29 sections of land, which is equal to 18,560 acers. Lots of room to play, and 'work.' ha. Mostly work....

Our place in Oklahoma is productive, and I now am on our ranch here in West Texas, Not as big, but none the less away from people, and a very nice place. I do like shooting cars/trucks we have laying around, and everything from dead to live hogs, and beef hind quarters and steel and you name it.....

Beats shooting folks ! Some of us have had enough of that in the past. Amen !

Thanks for the pics and the test, and knowing I'm not the only Hoss out there shooting doors and other cool junk. Maybe one day we can have you out here for a shoot out on old trucks and cars and a big venison/ mesquite wood cook off with some hot peppers thown in...

Good shooting Amigo

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:56   #12
Glolt20-91

Our county phone book is about an inch thick and the local newspaper comes out once a week; but we have lots of one gallon jugs filled with well water to test with.

Came across this piece of 1/10" steel Texaco diesel pump;

Caliber Corner

Had some low 1500s fps Remington 140gr SJHP loaded with AA #9 IIRC.

Caliber Corner

It would be easy to load this bullet to 1600fps, but no need to . . . bullet wasn't recovered, passed through the steel plate, opened up the Tide bottle like a book and penetrated through all four remaining bottles;

Caliber Corner

Later on I recovered four bullets, all expanded flat in the .70" to .81" range, not bad for old tech; plus it's a low recoil combination.

Caliber Corner

I also have some Remington 180gr SJHPs, Speer 170gr Gold Dot JSP and 180gr Nosler Partitions for heavyweights and all kinds of bullets in the 125gr to 158gr range.

I have plenty of mesquite for the burn pit and a well stocked pantry.

Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50   #13
PersonOfInterest

Quote:
Hey Amigo,

Yep, back in my barely teen days ( I'm 58 now). I was shooting lots of game with the 125 357mag JHP. I hear ya. It still works. (although I have jumped up to the 45LC on most all medium to large/big game now), I have not really had the chance, or took the chance I should say to try out the Speer offering in that weight. I'll have to try some. "Glad to see another country boy here".

I cowboyed back home in Oklahoma panhandle on 29 sections of land, which is equal to 18,560 acers. Lots of room to play, and 'work.' ha. Mostly work....

Our place in Oklahoma is productive, and I now am on our ranch here in West Texas, Not as big, but none the less away from people, and a very nice place. I do like shooting cars/trucks we have laying around, and everything from dead to live hogs, and beef hind quarters and steel and you name it.....

Beats shooting folks ! Some of us have had enough of that in the past. Amen !

Thanks for the pics and the test, and knowing I'm not the only Hoss out there shooting doors and other cool junk. Maybe one day we can have you out here for a shoot out on old trucks and cars and a big venison/ mesquite wood cook off with some hot peppers thown in...

Good shooting Amigo
CanyonMan
Yep pretty hard to beat the 125gn in all forms - look into those gold dots, i rarely buy into fads with ammo but i was very suprised how much weight they retain and how well they just keep going even and high speeds such as 1600fps i think youd appreciate what theyll do.

Well i did grow up in the country but ive been living in the city for better part of 11 years now but the 2 times a year i get to go home are always good times and one day ill move back for good, my family out west have big properties close to that in size its always great to visit them.

Yep wouldnt mind getting back to the US one day for a visit thanks for the offer.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57   #14
PersonOfInterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glolt20-91 View Post
Our county phone book is about an inch thick and the local newspaper comes out once a week; but we have lots of one gallon jugs filled with well water to test with.

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

It would be easy to load this bullet to 1600fps, but no need to . . . bullet wasn't recovered, passed through the steel plate, opened up the Tide bottle like a book and penetrated through all four remaining bottles;

Caliber Corner

Later on I recovered four bullets, all expanded flat in the .70" to .81" range, not bad for old tech; plus it's a low recoil combination.

Caliber Corner

I also have some Remington 180gr SJHPs, Speer 170gr Gold Dot JSP and 180gr Nosler Partitions for heavyweights and all kinds of bullets in the 125gr to 158gr range.

Bob
Thats pretty interesting stuff there Bob like i said i never got into the heavier projectiles in the 357magnum - not because i didnt like them just to be honest the 125gn'er was working, but thats some interesting balistics and impressive expansion, i dont mind the 145gn Win Silvertip but it seems theres room to move on velocity, from memory Hornady make a 140gn XTP dont they? might have to buy some and start some testing.
Im guessing the recoil with the 140gn has less of snap that the very high speed 125gn?
Old 01-05-2010, 14:31   #15
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Yep pretty hard to beat the 125gn in all forms - look into those gold dots, i rarely buy into fads with ammo but i was very suprised how much weight they retain and how well they just keep going even and high speeds such as 1600fps i think youd appreciate what theyll do.

Well i did grow up in the country but ive been living in the city for better part of 11 years now but the 2 times a year i get to go home are always good times and one day ill move back for good, my family out west have big properties close to that in size its always great to visit them.

Yep wouldnt mind getting back to the US one day for a visit thanks for the offer.

Your more than welcome. That offer has went out to two or three of these old boys here on GT. So, anytime man.

BTW, you would then have to let me come see ya in the ''down under" I really want to get the "Quigley" feel for things. I think I could really fit right in there. I went to Horse shoeing school with a number of guys from Australia, they are excellent horsemen, and it seems your country is very serious about horse flesh. Perhaps some day I can make that trip. Long as I don't have to come on a scooner for three months like Quigley did . ha

Take care
Good shooting

CanyonMan

Old 01-05-2010, 14:38   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glolt20-91 View Post

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Caliber Corner

Bob

Dang Bob, your phone book is that thick !? You got us beat by a good 1/2" LOL......

News paper delivery eh?.... If I want one I'll have to go get it, and by the time I get there it is old news. ha.

Like those rounds you got screaming outta there, looks nice. I had some of those years ago (i think), I need to check under the loading bench. You got me kinda stirred up there. Great pics as well man. Blowing stuff up is just flat fun ain't it? I never get tired of it. Always looking for something new to destroy.

Have fun
Good shooting

CanyonMan

Old 01-06-2010, 06:12   #17
PersonOfInterest

Quote:
Your more than welcome. That offer has went out to two or three of these old boys here on GT. So, anytime man.

BTW, you would then have to let me come see ya in the ''down under" I really want to get the "Quigley" feel for things. I think I could really fit right in there. I went to Horse shoeing school with a number of guys from Australia, they are excellent horsemen, and it seems your country is very serious about horse flesh. Perhaps some day I can make that trip. Long as I don't have to come on a scooner for three months like Quigley did . ha

Take care
Good shooting

CanyonMan
Thanks for the offer friend
and the offer goes out to you here too, i think youd like some of the country side and rural culture here although horses nowdays arent that common youd find the people very much like what your used to out there on the properties, some of those places are just huge - i remember seeing a program on one guys property - that place is slightly bigger than Belgium!

My grandfather had 3 horses on our farm and my dad was taught how to ride when i was a kid he started to teach me but as i grew up my grandfather got too old so the horses had to go - shame.

We do have the Rodeo culture here too and yep the guys here are very serious about it, alot of Americans who come here agree and respect it and find common ground, our countries do have alot in common, one thing i do sorta prefer here is the fact - theres still a whole lot of nothing inbetween the cities, ive known alot of Americans whove come here and been suprised by that - i actually like it, id say guys like you would too