SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:53   #51
mad.gunsmith
Silver Membership
Life NRA member

24/7 and 365 days a year! I am never unarmed.
You, Sir, are already a hero in my eyes.
mad.gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46   #52
Geezer Glide
NRA Life Member

Pocket carry inside the house and IWB out of the house. Right beside me when I sleep.
Geezer Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44   #53
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DScottHewitt View Post
"Relatively" leaves a lot of room. Bad stuff can happen anywhere. The mall. The Wal*Mart. YOUR CHURCH.
Yes, bad stuff can happen anywhere. A tiger might just jump out of your closet and eat you. But I think you are relatively safe from that most places in the U.S.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:47   #54
JohnP82

I never leave home without it! The only time I take my handgun off is if I am going into a building that does not allow firearms.
JohnP82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52   #55
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuggett View Post
Agreed on the shower, etc.

I'm curious, how do you make the determination that a place you are about to go to is safe enough to not carry?
First, most places I go I feel are safe enough to not carry. I would and do try to avoid places where I think it is not safe to go unless I have a gun on me. But with that....
History certainly impacts it, as well as surroundings. For example, I really don't worry about being attacked by someone while I am at the local PD. Now, should the U.S. become more like some other countries, where that area becomes more of a target, I might change that feeling.
What other protections are available? I don't walk around with a gun on me while at home. Guns are available and getting through the perimeter is difficult and will take time. Sure, if someone wants to drive an 18-wheeler through the front window I'm toast, but again, that just isn't very likely.

Basiclly, for me, it involves a simple rational assessment of what the danger to me is, what controls are available, and how much difficulty there is in reducing potential problems.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:24   #56
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
Yes, bad stuff can happen anywhere. A tiger might just jump out of your closet and eat you. But I think you are relatively safe from that most places in the U.S.
Funny you should say that. Several months ago, I found out a neighbor (about 1/2 mile as the crow flies) has TIGERS! No kidding. I found out because the local news had a story about an ESCAPED TIGER. I live in a semi-rural area (1-acre lots, no HOA). I've been here six years, and I had no idea that tigers resided a very short distance from my house.

Go figure, eh!
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:10   #57
dnuggett
PRO 2A

Quote:
First, most places I go I feel are safe enough to not carry. I would and do try to avoid places where I think it is not safe to go unless I have a gun on me. But with that....
History certainly impacts it, as well as surroundings. For example, I really don't worry about being attacked by someone while I am at the local PD. Now, should the U.S. become more like some other countries, where that area becomes more of a target, I might change that feeling.
What other protections are available? I don't walk around with a gun on me while at home. Guns are available and getting through the perimeter is difficult and will take time. Sure, if someone wants to drive an 18-wheeler through the front window I'm toast, but again, that just isn't very likely.

Basiclly, for me, it involves a simple rational assessment of what the danger to me is, what controls are available, and how much difficulty there is in reducing potential problems.

I see. I understand that thinking, really I do. My thoughts are while out in public I just can't see where places are all that secure. It's really sad, but if you listen at all to where crap is going down.... you can't put a rhyme or reason to it, so I don't try. It's an exercise in futility IMO.

I can name a billion examples of places where things "seemed" safe, and all hell broke lose. Happens too many times for me to feel I can make a logical determination.

That said, the local PD might still be one of those few places where I'd feel safe enough.
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:14   #58
Jake Starr

Quote:
just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... “Baa.”

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:38   #59
community

always, always, and then always.
Old 01-03-2010, 13:51   #60
TJK68

24/7---365 nuff said
TJK68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:53   #61
Thorazine

Send a message via AIM to Thorazine
Only when I need it.

Since I can predict the future.

Just not the winning lottery numbers.
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 15:10   #62
Bravesfansince70

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet that most people at Fort Hood thought they were in a safe place...and the US Capital on July 24, 1998...and Trolly Square Mall...and I'll bet no one thought a full on war zone would break out in the middle of North Hollywood in 1997. The fact is that most people feel safe until something happens to change that. In general most people believe that bad things happen to other people in other places.

I don't criticize anyone for the decisions they make about when and where to carry a weapon. The vast majority of people will never be attacked in their homes or find themselves in the middle of an active shooter situation in what they thought was a safe place, but some people have been in those situations and most of them were not prepared for it. I don't want to be one of those people so I carry always.
Old 01-03-2010, 15:29   #63
Zexel

I carry every chance I get. Besides work (Which has a very strict policy about no weapons), banks, and the obvious no carry zones, I carry everywhere I go.
Old 01-03-2010, 15:31   #64
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbnfl View Post
I was just curious if most of us carry 24/7 or just part time (when going to bad parts of town, or late at night). I'm guessing some leave it in their vehicle. I'm new and have my permit, but I'm still getting into the habit.
just when "needed" as in when im planning to leave the house and go somewhere. I dont normally just carry around the house just to carry..sometimes if I know im going somewhere I will just throw on the CC piece when I get dressed and sometimes leave it on till just b4 bed or when I know im "in" for the night..but normally just if im going somewhere.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 15:31   #65
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER

I don't carry when I am showering or sleeping.
Old 01-03-2010, 15:34   #66
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house all the time, or only when it's needed?
its in my house all the time but I dont CARRY it around with me all day...
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 16:58   #67
John Galt
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
For example, I really don't worry about being attacked by someone while I am at the local PD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuggett View Post
That said, the local PD might still be one of those few places where I'd feel safe enough.
Would the reason you feel that you are safe there be that there are armed men about.

Personally my life doesn't involve hanging around police stations, but I am not really to concerned with my safety in most locations I frequent. However the odds of someone going on a spree in my vicinity are the same as the odds of them going on a spree anywhere else.

A .38 in your pocket doesn't take up much space. 24/7

The only person that makes slavery possible... is the slave.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 17:24   #68
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
What color is the sky in whatever part of America you live in where the predator problem is a freaking tiger?!?!?

Never have any crime where you are? NONE?!?!?

http://www.jw.org/
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 18:00   #69
Jester249
W.W.P.D.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbnfl View Post
I was just curious if most of us carry 24/7 or just part time (when going to bad parts of town, or late at night). I'm guessing some leave it in their vehicle. I'm new and have my permit, but I'm still getting into the habit.
Can you tell me WHEN you will need the gun? If so, why would you ever carry? When that time came up, just don't go to that place. Carrying 24/7 is a pain in the ass. I carry because I do not know when I will need it......
Jester249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 18:44   #70
timetrial-pro

You can never predict when. "BUT" I can predict the outcome, Luck is where preparedness and preparation meet....
timetrial-pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 19:02   #71
j-glock22

Leave your gun in your car???? yeah that's a great idea.
j-glock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 19:10   #72
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-glock22 View Post
Leave your gun in your car???? yeah that's a great idea.
A better idea is to carry somewhere where it is illegal?!?!?

http://www.jw.org/
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 20:46   #73
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
Funny you should say that. Several months ago, I found out a neighbor (about 1/2 mile as the crow flies) has TIGERS! No kidding. I found out because the local news had a story about an ESCAPED TIGER. I live in a semi-rural area (1-acre lots, no HOA). I've been here six years, and I had no idea that tigers resided a very short distance from my house.
Go figure, eh!
That is why I like to use the tiger attack sometimes as an example. It actually does fall within the realm of "it might happen" for many, but most folks don't worry too much about it.
Old 01-03-2010, 20:50   #74
David Armstrong

Quote:
My thoughts are while out in public I just can't see where places are all that secure. It's really sad, but if you listen at all to where crap is going down.... you can't put a rhyme or reason to it, so I don't try. It's an exercise in futility IMO.
It might seem so, but really it isn't, and that is something I've pushed for years. We do some form of risk analysis with almost everything else we do in life, and usually do a faiarly reasonable cost/benefit analysis. But when it comes to carrying a firearm it seems so many toss all logic and reason aside and fall back onto the "just in case" model. If "just in case" is the reasoning, there are many better ways to avoid problems. My $.02.

Quote:
I can name a billion examples of places where things "seemed" safe, and all hell broke lose.
perhaps, but can you name a billion examples of places where things "seemed" safe and all hell broke loose more than once? Of course, don't forget that often when we think something "seemed" safe it was becaue we did not properly understand the risks.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 01-03-2010 at 20:52..
Old 01-03-2010, 21:00   #75
David Armstrong

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet that most people at Fort Hood thought they were in a safe place...and the US Capital on July 24, 1998...and Trolly Square Mall...and I'll bet no one thought a full on war zone would break out in the middle of North Hollywood in 1997.
You prove my point. Incidents like that are so rare, so unusual, so out of the norm that they take on a bit of mythological folklore all their own. I'd be willing to bet that more people have died in car wrecks on Ft. Hood than have been murdered. I'd bet more folks have died from heart attacks at the Capital than have been murdered there. We sometimes confuse nearly inevitable numbers-driven results with actual likelihoods of events happening.
Quote:
I don't want to be one of those people so I carry always.
No disagreement with that. I think it is a valid cost/benefit analysis. That is pretty much my view. Nowadays my lifestyle is safe and sane, and the chance of me needing a gun is amazingly low. But carrying a gun around most of the time doesn't cost me much in the way of resources, so it all evens out.