GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2010, 21:57   #121
dakrat

I dont carry at all. why carry when police is only MINUTES away to save me and my loved ones. besides, I have spidy senses that can detect danger coming...

Last edited by dakrat; 01-08-2010 at 22:02..
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47   #122
David Armstrong

Quote:
Agreed. Unfortunately there is this thing called crime... hence the need to carry a "crime response" as you call it. It's really that simple.
Yes, it is that simple. Crime simply is not random, routine, unpredictable or uncontrollable. Again, if one is so worried about crime that they won't take a shower without a gun, or they won't step outside without a gun, carrying a gun is not the issue.
Quote:
We are talking about carrying a concealed handgun, not a high powered rifle or shotgun.
That is where we disagree. IMO we are talking about risk assessment and need/response, and the blinders that some put on when that concept comes up relating to CCW/OC.
Quote:
I make a reasonable compromise, and carry a handgun.
We all make compromises, that is my point. In spite of the rhetoric tossed around, we do not carry "just in case" and I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that almost all of us do not carry 24/7/365. How accurate that risk assessment is varies quite a bit, but the response is still a compromise by everyone.
Quote:
And some folks think that while they are in their "safe zone" they really are safe. Until they aren't.
Sure, just like everyone thinks they are safe from that tiger attack. Until they aren't.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 01-09-2010 at 12:49..
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:53   #123
bno762

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
If you can't tell the difference between a relatively safe location and a relatively bad location you have a lot worse problem than if you should carry a gun or not, IMO.
Relatively safe...what would you consider a relatively safe place?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:54   #124
bno762

Oops. Sorry David. I'll go read the other 5 pages first. Didn't realize this had been an ongoing discussion for 5 pages.
Old 01-09-2010, 13:06   #125
greatwun

Send a message via AIM to greatwun
If I can legally carry in the place I am in or going to, then I'm strapped. Nowadays I never go any where that carry is not allowed except for the bar every now and then.
greatwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 19:46   #126
Misty02

Quote:
And that is exactly the issue. You do not fully prepare for a hurricane all the time. You make a rational decision regarding what level of preparation is appropriate for different seasons. It is no different with personal safety as it relates to self defense. If you don't feel that you are safe in your own home without carrying a gun around with you, the issue really isn't if you have a gun or not. If you are always afraid of taking a shower without having your gun with you, having the gun isn't the issue. If you are afraid to step out of your door without a gun, the issue isn't the gun. My $.02
Believe it or not David, each time I step outside and do so with a gun itís not because Iím scared. It is simply because I have such a tool. For many years I didnít have it, thus I didnít carry it. However, it occupies little space and it is not an inconvenience to have it with me. I find no logical reason to leave it behind. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I prepare for hurricane season during certain months of the year because historically that has been the season when hurricanes strike. Nonetheless, a couple of years ago we had a hurricane form on 12/15, since then I have maintained the prepared status until 12/20. I used to drop our preparedness on 11/30, the end of hurricane season. Becoming aware of changes leads me to adapt my level of preparedness.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Hurricanes are more predictable than falling victim to a crime. I prepare as best as can for either, although I could probably do better at both.<o:p></o:p>

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 20:24   #127
BK63

Can somebody turn the light off when this thread is over? To each his own
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:22   #128
David Armstrong

Quote:
Believe it or not David, each time I step outside and do so with a gun it’s not because I’m scared.
I believe that, Misty. In case it wasn't clear, I think you have done a fairly good cost/benefit check and analysis. My complaint is with the "24/7/365 don't take a shower without it or cross the threshold of the door or go anywhere you can't carry just in case the boogie man might get you if you don't carry all the time you might as well not carry at all" crowd. Most of the time when I carry these days it is not because I'm scared, it is because I'm unsure of my level of safety, which is a very different concept.
Quote:
Becoming aware of changes leads me to adapt my level of preparedness.
Which is exactly what I suggest, rather than "just in case".
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42   #129
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbnfl View Post
I was just curious if most of us carry 24/7 or just part time (when going to bad parts of town, or late at night). I'm guessing some leave it in their vehicle. I'm new and have my permit, but I'm still getting into the habit.
If I can be carrying, I am. It is just part of the "getting dressed in the morning" routine.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:36   #130
John Galt
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
My complaint is with the "24/7/365 don't take a shower without it or cross the threshold of the door or go anywhere you can't carry just in case the boogie man might get you if you don't carry all the time you might as well not carry at all" crowd.
What exactly is your complaint?

If you don't wish to carry 24/7/365, don't.
If I do wish to carry 24/7/365 what does that have to do with you?

The only person that makes slavery possible... is the slave.

Last edited by John Galt; 01-11-2010 at 15:39..
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:40   #131
dosei

Quote:
Some folksw seem to think that all areas have the same chance of danger, and that one cannot predict with any accuracy where a safe zone is. Sorry, I'm just not following that.
I agree and disagree...

Yes, there does seem to be some people that seem to believe that all areas have the identical risk. But many others simply recognize that nobody can predict with absolute accuracy all the time.

Prior to owning and carrying a cell phone, there was not one time that I ever really needed a cell phone. Since acquiring a cell phone, there has not been a single time that I ever really needed it. I really do not need it, and in all likelihood I never will really need it. I do, however, carry it daily. Even though there are places where I am required by law to render it inoperable (airplanes) and others where I am encouraged to render in inoperable (theaters) I still carry it daily and abide by the laws and requests. I really don't want to ever "need" it, but making a habit of having it with me is so easy that I don't mind it at all.

Do I think the "24/7, in the shower, thunderwear to bed" crowd is a little nutty and seem to have a screw or two loose...yes. But do I carry when I know the odds of needing it are basicly nill...yes. Oh...and yes I do buckle my seat belt when moving a car in the driveway, not because I think there is any need for it whatsoever, but because I believe it is a good habit to have.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 01-11-2010 at 20:04..
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:44   #132
double07gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36Packer View Post
How does one know when it is going to be needed. To me carrying when and where legal, i.e. 24/7, is when needed.

I don't knowingly go to the bad parts of town, etc.
Bad parts of town? Hell, its bad everywhere, just some scenery is better than others, but SCUMBAGS live in the better parts of town also. Stop fooling yourself..........
double07gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:19   #133
David Armstrong

Quote:
What exactly is your complaint?
My complaint is people who do not think, who deny facts and refuse to use logic, and then try to say that is a good way to do things.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 01-12-2010 at 11:27..
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24   #134
David Armstrong

Quote:
But many others simply recognize that nobody can predict with absolute accuracy all the time.
But that is true of many things in life that we experience. Like I say, we don't walk around worrying about and ready to fight the tiger all the time.
Quote:
I really don't want to ever "need" it, but making a habit of having it with me is so easy that I don't mind it at all.
No disagreement, and IMO a much more honest assessment than some have proposed.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:10   #135
DennisH
FFG-60

Always!!
Glock 30 .45ACP, Big Dawg #1213
Glock 33 .357 Sig, Top Gun #1955
S&W 649 .357 Mag
Ruger Blackhawk .357
Taurus PT-111 9mm
Browning DA 9mm
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 21:11   #136
krush777

I would like to contribute this: being on "high alert" all of the time will take its toll on any normal person. I am defensive minded and I try to be prepared. For a few years, I carried a gun everywhere I went. Then I started to feel that I was uptight all of the time and was too preocupied with what "may happen" and missed a lot of fun moments. I train daily, am a Martial Artist, and pay attention to my surroundings. Now that I don't carry every day, I take better care of myself, train harder and when it is time to relax and enjoy myself without any fear. If something "bad' happens, I will respond based on my abilities at the time. That response may be tempered by my not being armed at the time. This I accept. Last summer at my family picnic (Euclid Creek Reservation in Euclid, Oh), I was walking around (unarmed) with my 6 foot tall, super muscular, toughest guy I know older brother who is a die-hard biker. We watched somewhat in horror as a guy was playing kickball with about 15 little kids. As he rolled the ball for them to kick, the Glock 19 that he was wearing in a holster on his overly loose belt with his too-big pants kept coming out from under his too-big shirt. It was flopping all over his left side. It was kinda painful for me to think that this guy could have been so uptight, or defensive minded that he needed a gun to play kickball with little kids. I named the place because maybe he is on this forum as will get to read my post.
Old 01-27-2010, 22:49   #137
Glock21sf-miami

I can relax with my gun on me. Actually, it is hard to just relax if my gun is NOT on me. I carry all the time 24/7 and it is just like wearing pants.
Glock21sf-miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 22:56   #138
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All the time, whenever and wherever legal. It is really quite simple and remarkably easy.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:50   #139
Max45acp

Gun goes on after the belt every day! After a while it just becomes another part of getting dressed. If I thought I was going some place I needed it I either wouldnt go or would take the AR 15 and shot gun with me
Max45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 13:15   #140
Centurion6

24/7

When I go to bed I keep my EDC (Glock 19) in CB Supertuck in my jeans next to the bed. Bed stand has another Glock 19 with light and laser on it.
S&W Model 60-15, Model 40, Model 686 Plus
Centurion6 is offline   Reply With Quote