Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2010, 17:00   #1
ron59
Bustin Caps

Solo-1000: PF and accuracy w/ 147gr 9mm, part 2

Some of you may remember the thread I started last month:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157726

I was concerned with the accuracy of my Solo 1000 reloads out of my G-17. The results from some test comparisons verified that my load of 3.4gr of S-1000 was indeed VERY inaccurate. I compared my reload against WWB 115gr stuff, and I could punch the center of the target with the WWB, my stuff looked like a shotgun.

Chrono results showed that was only yielding 847fps, which is not even 125PF.

I created some loads with 3.6gr, 3.7gr, and 3.8gr of S-1000... I've decided I'm going to "run" the 3.8gr. Here are the numbers:

Date: 1/1/2010
Temp: 45 degrees

Brass: CCI
Primers: CCI
Bullet: 147gr Montana Gold
OAL: 1.137"

HV: 920
LV: 881
AV: 896
ES: 39
SD: 14

This yields 131PF. The accuracy has GREATLY IMPROVED! This is what I've been looking for. Note: These numbers for S-1000 are WAY "off the chart" by the books, but reload info is scant for the S-1000. I shot multiple batches across the chrono, even shooting some of the WWB 115gr stuff as a "baseline" to insure that then numbers I was getting for that matched up with what others reported. I'm confident that my chrono numbers are good, and it does indeed take 3.8gr to push it fast enough so that's really accurate. But if you're shooting a G34, it will probably take much LESS than this for the same results.

I also shot some Black Bullets (moly-coated lead). I got great results from them, with .3gr less of powder. I'd LOVE to shoot them more as they're much cheaper... but they're just too smoky for me. I shoot at an indoor range, and while they smoked less than the "moly-less" lead I tried once... they still smoke too much for me. So I guess I'll be sticking to the MG for now.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but that is just over a 1.5" group. I flinched one there, but basically one ragged hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Reloading - Click for larger version  

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!

Last edited by ron59; 01-02-2010 at 17:14..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 17:29   #2
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Sorry for the crappy picture, but that is just over a 1.5" group. I flinched one there, but basically one ragged hole.
Reloading
At what distance did you shoot this target?
Old 01-02-2010, 17:44   #3
0-16

Solo 1000 is good stuff. Thanks for the info.
0-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 18:36   #4
RLDS45S

VV powders will help clean up the smoke with BBI bullets, and Universal Clays does decent too....
RLDS45S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 19:54   #5
Colorado4Wheel

Solo 1000 produces better results then VV in some cases. YMMV blah, blah.

Ron, Glad you got the load figured out. Did you figure out the issue with your powder measure?
Old 01-02-2010, 21:03   #6
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
At what distance did you shoot this target?
My offhand shooting is not good enough for me to be able to do accuracy tests? This is only 7 yards, bench rest. I'm still doing the occasional "jerking" of the trigger.

After I did the bench rest tests, I did some offhand shooting, same distance. Out of 10 shots, I could get 6-7 in a small circle, but my WORST misses then are much worse, being 3-4" off target.

So that's what I'm doing this winter, is working on trigger pull and accuracy.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2010, 21:06   #7
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Did you figure out the issue with your powder measure?
Just stuff I read, that the Dillon 28tpi screw has some inherent "slop" in it. I ordered the micrometer version from UniqueTek. Apparently it is MUCH more repeatable, largely due to the 40tpi version of its screw.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2010, 22:35   #8
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
My offhand shooting is not good enough for me to be able to do accuracy tests? This is only 7 yards, bench rest. I'm still doing the occasional "jerking" of the trigger.

After I did the bench rest tests, I did some offhand shooting, same distance. Out of 10 shots, I could get 6-7 in a small circle, but my WORST misses then are much worse, being 3-4" off target.

So that's what I'm doing this winter, is working on trigger pull and accuracy.
Shooting your pistol from a bench and with the help of some sandbags for support will really help you to isolate the trigger finger. This is a good exercise also to concentrate on other fundamental aspects of shooting.

I was asking about the distance because I have noticed that some loads are very accurately at closer targets (10 yds and closer) but sometimes lose accuracy really quickly past 15 yards.

I find it best to test my loads out to 25 yards. If it groups well at that distance, I know that it will group well at 10 yards.
Old 01-02-2010, 23:32   #9
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
Shooting your pistol from a bench and with the help of some sandbags for support will really help you to isolate the trigger finger. This is a good exercise also to concentrate on other fundamental aspects of shooting.

I was asking about the distance because I have noticed that some loads are very accurately at closer targets (10 yds and closer) but sometimes lose accuracy really quickly past 15 yards.

I find it best to test my loads out to 25 yards. If it groups well at that distance, I know that it will group well at 10 yards.
Good advice, thanks. I'll do some additional tests at longer distances.

I guess my thinking has been... I have a hard ENOUGH time getting a super tight group at 7 yards, that "non-good" groups at further distances are more likely me than the ammo.

So... my focus over the next few months is to really work on trigger control and accuracy.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2010, 00:07   #10
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
But if you're shooting a G34, it will probably take much LESS than this for the same results.
3.5g of Solo backing a 147 LFP at 1.130 makes 130 PF, averaging 890 fps out of my G34 with LWD barrel. It is an extremely soft shooting load. Bench tested at 20 yards produces the same size groups as in your pic.
I am going to bump it up to 3.6 - 3.7g next batch of bullets I get to clean up the burn and hopefully minimize the smoke more.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:11   #11
coal

I run 3.6gr Solo 1000 with a 147gr LTC. Accuracy and group tightness was okay, but not great at all. Ran some 3.7gr with little change. 3.8gr, too. Fine load for plinking, but I'd not want to bull's eye shoot with it. Love the recoil. Ran in a G19 and G26.

I ran S1000 3.7gr with Rainier 147gr and it was a one-hole load. Very accurate. 3.8gr and 3.9gr ran fine, too. But, I stuck with 3.7gr because it seemed to work just as well. Have run only in a G19 so far.

I run S1000 4.2gr with 125gr LRN and this load is noticeably better than the 147gr lead. I like this load. Ran mostly in a G19. As a side note, 4.0gr barely cycles my G26 reliably, 3.8gr will not cycle 100%.

I REALLY like how cool S1000 keeps the gun. Not hot like TG does. Smoke is okay, but varies by bullet/lube used. Overall, I really like S1000 for lead. I stick with TG for FMJ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|
|
|
(
/
) |
|
|

Last edited by coal; 01-03-2010 at 03:13..
coal is offline   Reply With Quote