SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:28   #1
toshbar
Timber Baron

WASR Rear Sight

I got a WASR 10/63 this summer and have just been plinking with it lately at around 20-30 yds. I have noticed that the rear sight goes from P(I think that is the letter that designates battle sight range)>100>200 on up to 1000. I know that an AK is pretty much useless(at least trying to use sights on an AK) beyond 400 yards/meters, so why does the rear sight go on up to 1000? Unless they are using feet or some other smaller unit than a yard/meter I don't see the point in anything bigger than 300 or 400 yards/meters.

I guess my ultimate question is "what is the unit used on my rear sight if it is numbered up to 1000?"

EDIT: here is what it looks like, pic is from the web, not my gun.

The Kalashnikov Klub
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:59   #2
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Look at the side or under the sight. When it's set to "P" it sits on a shelf. This shelf is the same height as the ramp setting at "3" for 300 meters. The "P" is the quick battle sight position. it's exactly the same as the "3" 300 meter setting only a bit more fool-proof as it can be set just by pulling back the adjuster all the way. No need to look at the numbers and gives you a general sight setting. The original AK-47 had an 800 meter sight and was issued along with the longer SKS which was the standard service rifle and the AK-47 more in a special role or as a sub machine gun that could share ammunition. When the newer stamped receiver AKM replaced the AK-47 it had already been decided to replace the SKS with the AK as the standard service rifle and somebody thought the rifle should have a 1000 meter sight. I think that's the main reason the sight settings go all the way to 1000 meters.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:53   #3
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Look at the side or under the sight. When it's set to "P" it sits on a shelf. This shelf is the same height as the ramp setting at "3" for 300 meters. The "P" is the quick battle sight position. it's exactly the same as the "3" 300 meter setting only a bit more fool-proof as it can be set just by pulling back the adjuster all the way. No need to look at the numbers and gives you a general sight setting. The original AK-47 had an 800 meter sight and was issued along with the longer SKS which was the standard service rifle and the AK-47 more in a special role or as a sub machine gun that could share ammunition. When the newer stamped receiver AKM replaced the AK-47 it had already been decided to replace the SKS with the AK as the standard service rifle and somebody thought the rifle should have a 1000 meter sight. I think that's the main reason the sight settings go all the way to 1000 meters.
Sounds about right to me.

P = Battle = 300.

And I still wouldn't want to be hit by one at 300-600. But contrary to popular belief, depending on the gun, 300 can still be open for business.
Aceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:48   #4
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

The change from 800 to 1000 meters was based on two accuracy improvement changes when they went from the AK-47 to the AKM. First, an additional part was added to the trigger mechanism to reduce the cyclic rate, - theoretically - making it possible to hit something (probably a barn) further out to 1000 meters. The second modification was the movement of the impact point of the bolt carrier on the receiver in battery from the right to the left, increasing the AK's horizontal balance.
Despite these changes however, some AKMs still were issued with 800 meter or shorter sights, but these were usually special versions with shortened barrels like the AMD-65
The Kalashnikov Klub
Sometimes, 800 meter sights were installed on AKMs for no obvious reason because the barrels were full length, like on the North Korean Type 68
The Kalashnikov Klub
or even the Chinese series of AKMs
The Kalashnikov Klub
or even the East German MPi-Ks
The Kalashnikov Klub
The trend to place shorter sights on abbreviated-barreled AKs continued into the AK-74 rifles as well, such as this example from a Romanian AIR with a really short 400 meter sight
The Kalashnikov Klub
All pictures courtesy Stottman

Last edited by CarlosC; 12-03-2009 at 10:52..
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:53   #5
fgutie35

Why do vehicles have speedomenters that go all the way to 145MPH?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:55   #6
toshbar
Timber Baron

I got the battle sight thing.

But putting 1000m on an AK sight is sort of like putting 200mph on a civic speedometer.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:03   #7
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

As a point of interest, here are the battle sight settings for different countries and their AKs or AK variants:

Bulgaria = Л or П (depending on the clarity of the stamp)
China = ㄇ or D for export
Czechoslovakia (VZ-58) U
East Germany = N or K
Egypt = ت for domestic (with the smiley rounded on both ends and the eyes horizontal) , and P for export, some have been exported with Л
Finland (Valmet) 1.5 (150 meter battle setting)
Hungary = A
Iraq (Tabuk) 0
Israel (Galil) 300 and 500 diopter L flip sight
North Korea = ᄑ(except the horizontal bar on top extends from the right vertical, not all the way to the right)
Poland = S
Romania = P
Russia = Л or П (depending on the clarity of the stamp)
South Africa (R5) ???
Yugoslavia = 0

If you guys have added information or corrections, please fill in the blanks!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:28   #8
my762buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshbar View Post

The Kalashnikov Klub
Man, all this time I kept thinking that the sliding knob adjustment was to either increase the cyclic rate from 100 to 1000 cpm or to increase the bullet speed by multiples of 100.

Just joking...................

Last edited by my762buzz; 12-31-2009 at 20:25..
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 13:11   #9
WIG19
Light left on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Sounds about right to me.

P = Battle = 300.

And I still wouldn't want to be hit by one at 300-600. But contrary to popular belief, depending on the gun, 300 can still be open for business.
You bet it is. CarlosC has some great info posted.

Be aware that not all sight beds are created equal. One will find many recommendations for how to sight in their AK for a traditional BZO, but things may change when they actually move that slider all the way back. In general, if you only have a 100yd range once you get it dialed in for windage at closer ranges, about +10-10.5" at 100 will get you there with most of the common ammo available when the setting is set on the BZO. That will usually be minute-of-knucklehead out to 'bout 325yds (remembering that "out there" the meter/yard conversion really can rear its ugly head). Additionally, getting the chance to actually shoot at that distance will definitely tell you if your windage needs another nervous tweak from the ol' sight tool.

Took a piece of poster-board about the size of a man's torso and put it out at 300yds not long ago. It was also in the mottled shade of a big oak that was out there, so it was tough enough to see. But the results show that I certainly wouldn't have wanted me shooting at me that day with that WASR. The AK will definitely get it done if the software part of the equation is up to it.

(yes, the flyer low right is 'cause I got greedy after Butch called the first 4 thru the spotting scope. Shoulda poured a cup of coffee instead.)
Attached Thumbnails
The Kalashnikov Klub - Click for larger version  
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35   #10
DAIadvisor

Personally, I think AK should only have 2 settings - 1 and 2 - point blank and across the street.
DAIadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote