SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2010, 14:48   #1
Jaybo510
Got Glock?

Online Reloading Information

I was wondering if any of you know of a online source for reloading info. I am looking for load stats for 45 ACP specifically. I know you are going to say buy a book, and I assure you I am going to. But right now I am in the process of making that initial investment into the press, heads, primers, powder, tools, etc. So my press will be here this week, and I just want to give it a try with a few rounds until I get my bulk heads. So any of you sources would be appreciated. Thanks
Jaybo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 14:56   #2
Colorado4Wheel

Pick a powder and go to the manufactures website.
Old 01-03-2010, 15:03   #3
PBKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo510 View Post
I was wondering if any of you know of a online source for reloading info. I am looking for load stats for 45 ACP specifically. I know you are going to say buy a book, and I assure you I am going to. But right now I am in the process of making that initial investment into the press, heads, primers, powder, tools, etc. So my press will be here this week, and I just want to give it a try with a few rounds until I get my bulk heads. So any of you sources would be appreciated. Thanks
Get a Manual. Didnt want to disappoint you.

Sounds like you are getting into this just like I did, axe backwards.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/

Last edited by PBKing; 01-03-2010 at 15:21..
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 15:34   #4
dudel

Quote:
There are very few online sources I'd trust. One typo, one idiot and KB. Very few of the sites that list loads verify them (how could they). Not worth it.

Loadbooks are cheap and full of information on a specific load. Highly recommended.

http://loadbooks.com/

Best advice is to slow down. Get the books and read them before you attempt to load your first round. Strange things happen when you push off without proper information.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 17:00   #5
Colorado4Wheel

You guys make it sound like you can't find good load data online. Thats just crazy. Nearly every manufacture of pistol powder post it all on their websites. Most will even send you a free manual if you like. The issue is not finding load data you can trust. Not even close. The real question is do you have the knowledge to use that data and know how to put it together safely. I could throw all my reloading manuals away and never NEED any load data other then what I can get from from the manufactures websites. It may not be ideal as far as looking thing up but it's easily done. Even the less common stuff is found easily in trusted sites like Brian Enos and others. Go to the library and inter library loan a good reloading manual. Buy a used "Abc's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert" from Amazon for under $20. Then check the manufactures site for burn rate charts (Hodgon has a complete one) and other powder specific info. Buy a set of Lee Dies and it has tons of reloading data on the back page.
Old 01-03-2010, 17:11   #6
Jon_R
Silver Membership

I worry about print books to. At least a web site from a manufacturuer if they see an error they can fix it. Once that book is printed and shipped it is out there.

For myself I check at least two sources. One being a printed manual and the other a good website for my powder. I make sure they are very close to each other or I get nervous and get more sources.

All the powders I use are on this site.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

You can also use Gun Forums (like Brian Enos) for suggestions on good loads for a specific firearm but I still don't load outside the range on an offical source. I don't want to be out there on the edge risking my hands, eyes, and $500+ gun. Plus it hurts your stage time / score when you gun blows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
There are very few online sources I'd trust. One typo, one idiot and KB. Very few of the sites that list loads verify them (how could they). Not worth it.

Loadbooks are cheap and full of information on a specific load. Highly recommended.

Best advice is to slow down. Get the books and read them before you attempt to load your first round. Strange things happen when you push off without proper information.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 17:12   #7
deerhunter34

I like and use Hodgdon's web site all the time. Data I trust, like CW4 was saying its knowing what to do with the data. Good luck and have fun.
deerhunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 17:26   #8
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post

There are NO online sources I trust but the powder manuf sites. Published data has lawyers behind it, means it has been tested. There may be a few here & there that are running pressure tests but w/o that, just because it works in your gun doesn't mean it works in mine. For now, trust the powder manuf data & just go buy a reloading manual. You need at least two IMO anyway.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 18:20   #9
D. Manley

Quote:
Might consider LOADDATA.COM if you are only looking for a variety of information from different sources. The price of admission gets you access to virtually all published data from all sources as well as others such as, from their sibling publication, Handloader Magazine. I use it frequently to cross-check data and/or, to find consensus information. IMO, well worth the price for the volume of data and convenience.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 18:38   #10
frankmako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Pick a powder and go to the manufactures website.
plus one. also a book will help.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 19:15   #11
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

A good rule of thumb that I follow (especially with handgun loads) is a listed powder where the start and max grains are close together. If this is the case, pressure-wise, it's not the best powder for that particular bullet.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 19:20   #12
shotgunred
reloading nut

http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

Never use just one source of information.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 19:45   #13
ron59
Bustin Caps

I bought ONE reloading manual (Nosler), and was so disappointed I'll NEVER buy another.

Online resources work fine for me. As was said, check the powder manufacturer's site. Then google, google, google. If you decide you want to run TiteGroup with 9mm, check the manufacturer's site, then google and compare that against other recipes (here, Enos' site, etc). Once you've seen 10-15 totally unrelated references to the same figures, you can be just as confident (if not more so) than what you find in a book.

A chrono is an invaluable tool as well. I shot 6000 rounds with a Solo recipe, which while it shot nice and soft turned out to not be as accurate as it could be as it was SO underpowered. Without a chrono, I wouldn't have been able to tell "where" I was in the load.

Do NOT find ONE "recipe" on the web for your desired powder, and run with that without having done much more additional research. And maybe then start a few tenths lower and work up. What works for one gun doesn't work the same for others. The recipe I was originally using was that by guys shooting the G34 (longer barrel) than my G17. It's NOT going to work the same.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 21:01   #14
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I bought ONE reloading manual (Nosler), and was so disappointed I'll NEVER buy another.

Online resources work fine for me. As was said, check the powder manufacturer's site. Then google, google, google. If you decide you want to run TiteGroup with 9mm, check the manufacturer's site, then google and compare that against other recipes (here, Enos' site, etc). Once you've seen 10-15 totally unrelated references to the same figures, you can be just as confident (if not more so) than what you find in a book.

A chrono is an invaluable tool as well. I shot 6000 rounds with a Solo recipe, which while it shot nice and soft turned out to not be as accurate as it could be as it was SO underpowered. Without a chrono, I wouldn't have been able to tell "where" I was in the load.

Do NOT find ONE "recipe" on the web for your desired powder, and run with that without having done much more additional research. And maybe then start a few tenths lower and work up. What works for one gun doesn't work the same for others. The recipe I was originally using was that by guys shooting the G34 (longer barrel) than my G17. It's NOT going to work the same.
Ron you just bought the wrong book. I like the Nosler for rifle data, but their hangun info is pathetic, same w/ SIerra. The Lyman & Speer are the most complete for the handgun reloader. The other valuable point of reloading manuals is you laways have them handy. My computer isn't on my loading bench & running back & forth upstairs to recheck load data is just a bit tedious, but good excersize. Books are NOT out of fashion just because we have computers.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48   #15
meleors
Cranky Member

Alliant powder: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Accurate Arms: http://www.accuratepowder.com/reloading.htm

Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Norma: http://www.norma.cc/sortimentladd.asp?doc=Sort&Lang=2

Ramshot: http://www.ramshot.com/powders/load.php

Rex Powder (Graf and Sons): http://www.rexpowder.com/

Vihtavuori: http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=1180
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:24   #16
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
My computer isn't on my loading bench & running back & forth upstairs to recheck load data is just a bit tedious, but good excersize.
Not sure how much "load checking" you have to do, but I only load for 9mm right now. I have used 3 different powders, and have had to research all of them... but it's certainly not a "running back and forth thing". I do my research, determine my starting load, maybe work up 2-3 loads, and go to the chrono. Having "a book on my table" helps me in no way, and saves me the $25 per book cost.

Even if I loaded for multiple calibers... still don't think a book would help. When I google, I am able to specify "9mm MONTANA GOLD 147gr bullet Solo 1000", and find specific responses from people with experience with that EXACT COMBINATION. You won't find that type of specificity in the books.

Now, you could point out the issues I ultimately had with that combination:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165565

but that goes more towards my not realizing that a load on the LOW side, while fully capable of cycling the gun (for 6000+ rounds), might not be as accurate as a fully powered (ie 130PF or so) round. It has nothing to do with me not having a book. In fact, for Solo 1000, the suggested load data is laughable. For all the published data, 3.3gr is the MAX for a 147grain bullet. Heck, the 3.4gr I was using was underpowered, I am now using 3.8grains!

Yes... you were totally right about books and the PUBLISHED DATA "having lawyers behind it". For as I've been finding out, all the books have LOWERED their suggestions over the last 10 years, largely due to liability concerns, more than correctness in load data.

I'd rather get information from people using SPECIFIC COMBINATIONS, than the "blah genericness" of the load data that I've seen.

Quote:
Books are NOT out of fashion just because we have computers.
I'm ALL ABOUT books. I love books, and am a voracious reader. But buying books just to have a book? Nahhhhh... I'm good.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54   #17
PBKing

Quote:
Ron you just bought the wrong book. I like the Nosler for rifle data, but their hangun info is pathetic, same w/ SIerra. The Lyman & Speer are the most complete for the handgun reloader. The other valuable point of reloading manuals is you laways have them handy. My computer isn't on my loading bench & running back & forth upstairs to recheck load data is just a bit tedious, but good excersize. Books are NOT out of fashion just because we have computers.
Right On.

I think an important point missed here is the tutorial value of the Manuals. Load data is not the answer all. The OP is a typical example of a newbie...no offense. IMO the best advice we can give someone waiting for there heads to come in is reference to a good manual OR 4. We are swamped with data online, some good some bad. What is scary is for every nut offering data for a 2k fps .45acp load there is someone out there gonna try it. As Fred noted, the convenience of a manual on the bench for quick reference is really a no brainer. If your content with your case full of TB and a wac a mole kit...nevermind.

Quote:
Originaly posted by Uncle Don: A good rule of thumb that I follow (especially with handgun loads) is a listed powder where the start and max grains are close together. If this is the case, pressure-wise, it's not the best powder for that particular bullet.
Worth repeating

Last edited by PBKing; 01-04-2010 at 08:31..
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:58   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Most books are about giving the user recipes for their brand of bullets. To me that is useless. Montana Gold, Precision Delta don't make a book. The best books are not made by a bullet manufacture (from a load data perspective). Lyman has a great one. Lee's book is great because it teach's you things like what Uncle Don said about how to pick a powder. Internet load data is better in many ways then a book. As much as I like Lymans book. I am not really using any recipe out of that book. Just using it to confirm the other information I have gathered.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:10   #19
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

Quote:
.............. I know you are going to say buy a book, and I assure you I am going to. .............
Get a chronograph too and some kind of Lab Notebook or Spiral Notebook to log all your reloading data and activities. Put all your "Keeper" stuff in EXCEL.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:52   #20
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Most books are about giving the user recipes for their brand of bullets. To me that is useless. Montana Gold, Precision Delta don't make a book. The best books are not made by a bullet manufacture (from a load data perspective). Lyman has a great one. Lee's book is great because it teach's you things like what Uncle Don said about how to pick a powder. Internet load data is better in many ways then a book. As much as I like Lymans book. I am not really using any recipe out of that book. Just using it to confirm the other information I have gathered.
Steve,

Glad to hear you and I are on the same page.

I **DID** buy the "ABC's of Reloading", which teaches all the fundamentals I'm going to be able to get from a book. The other books (Lyman, Speer) can only provide recipes beyond that.

I'll get my recipes here, Enos's site, etc.

Quote: