Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2010, 19:51   #1
AZson

Removing lead from a barrel

Whats your best technique for removing lead from a barrel?
Old 01-03-2010, 21:04   #2
fredj338

Easiest, get some CHoreBoy copper wool. Wrap some around an old bronze bore brush. Put a patch of Kroil or bore solvent into the bbl first then start scrubbing w/ the copper wool. Won't hurt the bbl & pulls the lead out in 3-4 passes, 7-8 if it's really bad. Follow w/ an oiled patch, done.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 21:41   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Easiest, get some CHoreBoy copper wool. Wrap some around an old bronze bore brush. Put a patch of Kroil or bore solvent into the bbl first then start scrubbing w/ the copper wool. Won't hurt the bbl & pulls the lead out in 3-4 passes, 7-8 if it's really bad. Follow w/ an oiled patch, done.
Works like a charm!
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 21:41   #4
sig357fan

^^^^^^ what he said^^^^^^
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 22:24   #5
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Lewis Lead Remover, if you don't like chemicals.
Old 01-03-2010, 22:59   #6
PCJim

What Fred said. You can do this without the solvent to remove the lead first, then clean as normal. Be sure the Chore Boy scouring pad that you get is all copper and not copper-plated steel. Check it with a magnet.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:44   #7
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
Whats your best technique for removing lead from a barrel?
For really leaded barrels, Outers Foul-out.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=243419

Clean down to the atom level.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:09   #8
Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post

I have one and I don't recommend it. Its messy, usually requires several do-overs and there is nothing easy about it.
10 Ring Member #661944

You can have my guns when I run out of ammo. Which wont be happening anytime soon.
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44   #9
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

It's controversial - but a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar is supposed to remove lead pronto. However, I have also heard that left too long, it' not good on the bbl. I haven't tried it to know.

Not sure what the truth is, but I tend to try and avoid by using alox with lead bullets. Granted, it's slightly smokier, but my bbl is always mirror clean.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:47   #10
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Shoot jacketed...
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:48   #11
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

All of the above plus if the leading is real bad a guy should probably look into the cause.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:28   #12
CA Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post

I have one too, and I think it works great. No lead when it's done with no scrubbing the barrel needed.
CA Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 13:16   #13
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
Lewis Lead Remover, if you don't like chemicals.
You still need solvent to remove carbon & if applyed first, it helps loosen the lead for easier/faster removal. I like the Foul out, but I can clean my bbl in the time it takes to set the Foul Out up. The LLR is good, but still needs solvent to clean the carbon out & you have to buy those stupid llittle brassmesh screens. One box of ChoreBoy for like $2 will last you at least 5yrs of cleaning.
Shooting jacketed, well. that's just cheating, not to mention way more expensive.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 14:22   #14
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
I have one and I don't recommend it. Its messy, usually requires several do-overs and there is nothing easy about it.
No problem with mine. Plug the barrel, stand it up, insert the rod w/orings, fill the barrel, hook it up and run. I use the same time as I do on the tumbler. After an hour or so, the rod is plated with lead or copper.

Disconnect, remove from stand, drain, remove plug, run dry patch, run patch with lube and done. I know I should degrease the barrel first, but it hasn't made much difference for me, so I don't.

I don't use it for all cleaning, but when a barrel gets leaded from trying new casting metal or loads, it works great.

For me, the key was to fill it when the rod was in place. If you fill the barrel, then put the rod in, you displace some of the liquid. That's messy. I also tend to use the smallest orings supplied. It lets the liquid get down quicker.

Otherwise, it's cleaner than foaming bore cleaner.

It's also fun to do to a friend's barrel after he thought it was "clean".

Last edited by dudel; 01-04-2010 at 14:24..
Old 01-04-2010, 14:25   #15
rickyc2

You should not be shooting lead bullets in a Glock... Taboo
rickyc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:09   #16
Jumper

Ref the Outers Foul Out: To be fair I never used it on my pistol barrel, only my deer rifle. I suspect being able to remove the barrel from the firearm would make it easier. Cleaning the rifle it was impossible to keep the solution off the wood or from getting in to the action.
10 Ring Member #661944

You can have my guns when I run out of ammo. Which wont be happening anytime soon.
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58   #17
frankmako

lewis lead remover works for me.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04   #18
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Don View Post
It's controversial - but a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar is supposed to remove lead pronto. However, I have also heard that left too long, it' not good on the bbl. I haven't tried it to know.

Not sure what the truth is, but I tend to try and avoid by using alox with lead bullets. Granted, it's slightly smokier, but my bbl is always mirror clean.
That should only be used on Glock and stainless steel barrels only. You only use it for no more than 5 minutes and then rinse if off in water.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-05-2010, 09:12   #19
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
Ref the Outers Foul Out: To be fair I never used it on my pistol barrel, only my deer rifle. I suspect being able to remove the barrel from the firearm would make it easier. Cleaning the rifle it was impossible to keep the solution off the wood or from getting in to the action.
I can certainly see how it would be harder to use in the circumstances you mention.

Don
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18   #20
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyc2 View Post
You should not be shooting lead bullets in a Glock... Taboo
If I couldn't shoot lead in my Glock, I wouldn't shoot it. If you coat with alox, they won't burn and that is what leaves the lead. Granted, it's a smokey load but the trade off of never having even a trace of lead in the bbl is worth it to me. So far, 6k of lead through the G21 and about 1k through my 36. I do use jacketed only in the .357 sig but I'm not afraid to use lead in a 9 or 40 given the same treatment.

I know what Glock says - but they also say not to use reloads at all. At the last armors re-cert, I privately asked the instructor and he said that even though my procedure is "acceptable", Glock will stick with their policy simply because they can't control how people would use lead projectiles and under the wrong circumstances, it can and does leave lead traces - and therefore reduces bore diameter and in turn, pressure increases. I asked privately because I didn't want to put him on the spot, but after lunch, he reiterated the same thing to the class.

Just for fun, last time I had Ben from Glockmeister on the phone, I hit him up about it too - he said the same thing the Glock instructor did. BTW, HK uses the same boring and that doesn't seem to be an issue for people.

As a last note though - I'm not recommending, I'm simply stating what has worked for me for years.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote