Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2010, 22:07   #1
TWS G26

VIDEO - CorBon PowRBall 9mm 100 gr with denim

Here's a test of the CorBon 9mm PowRBall in 100 grain, using 4 layers of denim over wet newspaper jugs. A big "thank you" to GT's KingLamoni for providing the ammo; he gets a shout-out during the video.

I show the fragments at the end of video, including the polymer ball. Also, notice during the shot that I had a fragment fly off upon impact and into the lower left corner of my backstop. It is very evident during the slow-motion segment at the 2:46 mark. I went through the backstop (catalogs and paper), but did not find anything. There is a clean 9mm-sized hole in the box/backstop, so I don't know WTH it was, as I thought I accounted for all the pieces.

Finally, check out the link in the video description itself, as you can view a ballistic gel video of this cartridge at the CorBon YouTube channel.

Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoo.../3/kNqhB34UXeY
Old 01-03-2010, 23:24   #2
17z

TWSG26,have you tried out the new Hornady Civilian 9mm round yet???? I got the 115 grain one and it does pretty well in my G17 and 19. opens up like it is suppose to. I have it loaded in my G26 as I type. 17z
17z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 23:57   #3
TWS G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17z View Post
TWSG26,have you tried out the new Hornady Civilian 9mm round yet???? I got the 115 grain one and it does pretty well in my G17 and 19. opens up like it is suppose to. I have it loaded in my G26 as I type. 17z

I think you also posted on the YT channel, but I do have some 115 gr Critical Defense that will be tested once we get out of this deep freeze in Nashville.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:58   #4
carbofan21

this round did a little better than i thought it would, but i can't say i would choose it over any decent JHP. it's already a light load at 100 grains, and they are known for shedding their jackets. considering most 9mm pistols are sighted-in for loads in the 124 grain range, these probably shoot well below point-of-aim..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
carbofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:23   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Well done... not really a surprise to me. Fragmentation seems to be a common trait among Corbon ammo (at least the ones I've saw).
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:45   #6
Glock-it-to-me
Catching liars

I've gotta do a test like that on my .357 SIG 115gr JHP CorBon's. They claim 1500fps.
Glock-it-to-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51   #7
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

good test!

JMHO, i wouldnt be supprised if the core and jacket didnt seperate untill they hit the back wall of the jug. i have seen the core/jacket loose but still one mass before and speculate they would have likely remained that way in a living target. seems most severe corejacket seperation will cause fragmentation, not just looseness.

i would use it over FMJ or if i had a gun with feed issues but...
glocksterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56   #8
triggerjerk

Nice as always.

Have you considered doing .223/5.56 testing?
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:29   #9
TWS G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Nice as always.

Have you considered doing .223/5.56 testing?
Posted a test last summer with the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, and a handful of videos last month with the NATO green tip and steel. There will be several .223/5.56 tests this year. Channel URL is in my sig line.
Old 01-04-2010, 19:44   #10
Police Marksman

TWS G26

Another Great Video!

Are you still planning on doing another test with the 124 +P Gold Dot through the layers of denim?
Police Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 20:21   #11
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Had a good friend that worked for Corbon a few years back, he's moved on now, smart guy. Anyway. I called him one day from the ranch here and said "Hey hoss got something to show ya and tell ya...." I shot one of your powerball's into the tailgate of and old pick up out here, from a G27. It barely left a mark the size of a PEA. It exploded into powder like a dirt clod. Exactly like a dirt clod. In fact. If i had been shot in the leg with 'THIS' round I would have went back to the house with nothing more than a real bad bruise.

He had me send the remaining box back to them, and said they could not find a problem. I understand, but I have never shot another PB. Never will, NOT just because of that. I do not like bullets with shallow penetration and frag on top of that.

When will we understand that penetration is not a nasty word. Designer bullets are like designer clothes on some women. They may look great on the outside, but WHOA, after the layers are peeled off, no thanks !

Just my experience with PB and, BTW, not just this once either. We try and shoot a lot of lead out here, and have been since about 1962 Yeah, 1962. WE shoot a lot of guns and a lot of bullets. Personally I do not shoot to much factory stuff any more, at least for the last 5 or 6 years. Some of the other old boys here (on the ranch) do that, and some friends of mine 'in the firearms/ammo industry do as well. But I do test some factory fodder on occasion. But this PB I would not recommend.

All IMO and in my experience. I ain't trying to sell anything, or convince anyone.

Good shooting

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 01-04-2010 at 20:25..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 21:31   #12
TWS G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police Marksman View Post
TWS G26

Another Great Video!

Are you still planning on doing another test with the 124 +P Gold Dot through the layers of denim?

Yes, plus the 147 gr Gold Dot, HST's and anything else that was pre-denim. Those videos will be very short and should follow after three new rounds that I hope to test within a few weeks. I'm at the point where I need to buy some cheap blue jeans, or just straight denim cloth, as I'm just about out of old holy jeans for these tests. Or I could use my wife's clothes.
Old 01-06-2010, 18:18   #13
Berto
woo woo

Interesting videos, as usual. Thanks for doing it.
I've tried the 165gr Powerball .45acp in a model 625 S@W...same deal, impressive early penetration damage channel, jacket/core separation.
I still (also) prefer heavy-ish weight bullets for caliber.