Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:00   #1
Jefe

pocket pistol

I am looking for a 22lr pocket pistol to take backpacking and plinking (it has to be 22lr b/c of NC laws). Right now I am thinking either a Beretta Bobcat 21A or the Taurus PT22. Does anybody have any opinions on which one is a better pistol?

I am leaning towards the Bobcat b/c of its double/single action trigger. If I do go with the Bobcat, what is the safest way to carry it with one in the chamber? Hammer down, safety on?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 13:23   #2
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

I have been down the same road as you. The Taurus PT22 has a lot more issues and unsatisfied owners than the Beretta Bobcat. The Bobcat can be ammo sensitive, so don't expect walmart 550 valuepack ammo to be 100%, but if you keep it clean and use CCI mini mags, the Bobcat will serve you well.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 17:41   #3
Stinger260

As for a small 22 I really like the Walther P22. For a value priced target 22 I love my Beretta Neos for under $300.00 I find it very accurate and dependable.
Stinger260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 18:43   #4
Wetrudgeon

The DAO trigger on the PT-22 is looooong and hard. Combined with the short barrel, the trigger makes the PT quite a challenge to shoot well. Further, the holes in our paper targets demonstrate that the projectiles launched from the PT begin to tumble at fairly short range. Out past 20 feet, we cannot hit anything with ours. Not sure how valuable it would be in a back pack role.

Ours is finicky, but has been reliable with the right kinds of ordnance.

We trudge on.
Wetrudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 20:40   #5
CMG

I've had very good performance from the Beretta 21A... and I shoot it much better due to its single action option. The Taurus PT-22 I had functioned fine, but I did not get along well with its double action only trigger.

Rimfire Forum
Old 01-05-2010, 21:01   #6
frankmako

Beretta 21A is the way to go. I got two and the only problem that I found was finding what type of ammo they liked. Once I found out they have been no problems.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25   #7
pakettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
Beretta 21A is the way to go. I got two and the only problem that I found was finding what type of ammo they liked. Once I found out they have been no problems.
What type ammo does it like. Been thinking of getting a bobcat for my wife to shoot.
pakettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:18   #8
M2 Carbine

Dp....

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 10-31-2010 at 09:53..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:27   #9
JFrame

Jefe -- They're likely pretty pricey, but you might also want to keep your eyes out for a used Walther TPH. Mine is the stainless steel, U.S.-made variety. It's amazingly accurate for what it is, and very reliable with the right ammo.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 22:42   #10
photoguy

I bought my Bobcat used, feed it a steady diet of CCI Mini Mags and have not had a single problem with it. I'm very accurate with it and it's a blast to shoot. I sometimes drop it in my pocket as a late night "we're out of milk" store run companion.
Attached Thumbnails
Rimfire Forum - Click for larger version  
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 21:07   #11
James Markov

What law in N.C. says it has to be a .22?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:35   #12
Jefe

Quote:
What law in N.C. says it has to be a .22?
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/2009_..._Gamelands.pdf
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15   #13
wjv

Have had a Taurus PT22 for 20+ years.

It has been 100% reliable. The trigger doesn't bother be as I actually prefer DA triggers, as I learned to shoot using revolvers.

Because my Taurus is 20+ years old, it may or may not reflect the current state of Taurus manufacturing.

Rimfire Forum

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56   #14
mitchshrader
Deceased

according to the PDF you can have up to a 7.5" barrel. My Ruger mkIII Hunter has a 7.5 inch barrel. I'd be happier with it than anything less powerful. Not sure why you'ld want a 6 or 7 shot .22 when you can have a 10-11 shot, but the barrel length is even more relevant to accuracy and power than it would be in a centerfire weapon. I've always preferred long barrels and heavy bullets, ymmv.
Old 01-11-2010, 13:17   #15
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
Have had a Taurus PT22 for 20+ years.

It has been 100% reliable. The trigger doesn't bother be as I actually prefer DA triggers, as I learned to shoot using revolvers.

Because my Taurus is 20+ years old, it may or may not reflect the current state of Taurus manufacturing.

Rimfire Forum
I really want the taurus PT-22. I asked this question many times, if the basic design is very similar, how come Bobcats last forever and PT-22 are POS? I find the DAO trigger, placement of the mag release, capacity, and a lack of a hammer spur to be an improvement over the Beretta design, and the taurus's price is a lot better for a occasional .22lr plinker/pocket gun. I just cannot get past all the horror stories out there. I'm glad your works.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 01-11-2010 at 13:30..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:03   #16
tallsaul

I have an early PT22 like bcvojak's... mine worked great- even killed a chipmonk with it at 20 yrds witnessed once- then there was a recall and I sent it in even though I had no issues. I still haven't had issues with mine. It sits in the safe unloved but I like it so it stays. I like the DA only and the ten rounds and the mag drop. Double action only in a defense gun has some merit to it. I have several carry guns like that in serious calibers also so its not a biggie to me.

I take mine to quite a few introduction to handgun classes and for the older/weaker folk the loading feature of the tip barrel works nice.
tallsaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52   #17
M2 Carbine

I've had 2 Berettas for many years and one Taurus.

I still have one Beretta. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of the other one.

I was glad to get rid of the Taurus. The slide cracked twice. My friend's Taurus slide cracked once. Now he seldom shoots it.

Since I've put a Crimson Trace laser on the Beretta for low light small pistol laser practice the little gun gets shot a LOT.
After shooting the gun a while (with bulk pack ammo) it gets dirty and starts failing to feed/eject. A quick cleaning solves the problem.

No way would I part with it.

Rimfire Forum

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 10-31-2010 at 09:55..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:56   #18
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

I know they're cheap, but I love my Phoenix HP22A!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 10-31-2010 at 09:57..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:26   #19
napp32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Jefe -- They're likely pretty pricey, but you might also want to keep your eyes out for a used Walther TPH. Mine is the stainless steel, U.S.-made variety. It's amazingly accurate for what it is, and very reliable with the right ammo.

If you opt for the TPH be sure you don't have "fat" hands. My son owned a TPH for a short while. He had problems with the slide cutting into the web of his hand each time the gun cycled (ie: the web between the thumb and forefinger). I could fire the gun without problem; but he eventually had to sell it; because it was just too painful for him to shoot.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:25   #20
Chronos

I had a Beretta 21A, and found it unsatisfactory. Traded it away, and was happy to be rid of it. Even babied with the best ammo I could find, it would still predictably jam a couple of times per box (just often enough to drive me crazy whenever I started to gain a little confidence that I had found "the formula" for reliability). Useful range was ~7 yards, with the most primitive sights imaginable, and a SA trigger that broke like a wet noodle.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, no one is currently stepping up to make a genuinely useful high-quality, pocket carryable .22 auto (e.g. something that would allow you to reliably take small game at 15 yards, with confidence-inspiring reliability and construction). One of these would probably do that job really well with its 3.5" barrel, good sights and trigger, but good luck finding one these days... The design requirements are probably fairly demanding to fill this kind of niche, and practically everyone would rather just injection-mold something with the built-in excuse of "it's just a plinker," and put a DA trigger on it to really drive the point home.
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?

Last edited by Chronos; 11-02-2010 at 08:42..
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote