SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2010, 16:48   #1
Range Rat

Brass Deflector

Hi Friends,
I am new to the AR-15 world, bought a Rock River Arms NM4 for competition. Took it out to the range to try it out and it sure flings brass quite a ways. Bought a Brass Deflector and it's on it's way. Just wondering if there any negatives about using a brass deflector on an AR-15 that I should know about.
Thanks in advance.
Range Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 17:02   #2
Jon_R
Silver Membership

What do you want it to do?

The only time I used one was in Army Basic Training. I am left handed and they gave me one. I don't think it was needed and I don't use one on any of my own ARs. When I was going through basic we had brand new M16A2s that have a brass deflector built in on the upper receiver. The basic class before us I assume used A1s that don't have the bump so for lefties the deflector was probably needed to keep brass coming back at their nose.

The ones I used in the army snapped into the hole on the carry handle. If you have a flat top It would need to mount on the rail I assume.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 17:19   #3
phonejack

how to shorten the throw

when i shot ar's i cut 3 coils off of the ejector spring. most of the thrown cases shot from the prone position could be reached without moving off of the mat. works for m1a and garand also.
phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 18:48   #4
USMC03Grunt

An easy and cheap method we use on the range is to pull the brass strip out of a stripper clip. Bend each end in the opposite direction to look like one arm of a swastika and insert the one end between the ejection port and the ejection port cover. Put on right, it will look like a little brass "L" sticking out in front of the ejection port. Now when the brass ejects against it, it will deflect it enough to not hit the shooter next to you. Like I said, it's simple, easily replaced, disposable and best of all, free!
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:13   #5
Range Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
What do you want it to do?

The only time I used one was in Army Basic Training. I am left handed and they gave me one. I don't think it was needed and I don't use one on any of my own ARs. When I was going through basic we had brand new M16A2s that have a brass deflector built in on the upper receiver. The basic class before us I assume used A1s that don't have the bump so for lefties the deflector was probably needed to keep brass coming back at their nose.

The ones I used in the army snapped into the hole on the carry handle. If you have a flat top It would need to mount on the rail I assume.
Jon, it's what I want it NOT to do: shower my fellow shooters with hot brass. Seems like a good idea but I am always conscious about the "law of unanticipated consequences".
Range Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 00:13   #6
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Get the brass catcher that attaches to the port, looks like a little fishing net. Eliminates flying brass and makes cleanup a breeze! Also a boon if you reload.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:37   #7
Sgt_Gold

I use a brass deflector on my match AR for the same reason. I've used a plastic type and a thin metal one. What I've noticed is about 10% of the time the case deflects back into the ejection port, causing a jam. Now I use the deflector for the standing position only. I suppose I could try and tweak the deflector to see if I can change the deflection angle, but it's easier to just not use it during a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Rat View Post
Hi Friends,
I am new to the AR-15 world, bought a Rock River Arms NM4 for competition. Took it out to the range to try it out and it sure flings brass quite a ways. Bought a Brass Deflector and it's on it's way. Just wondering if there any negatives about using a brass deflector on an AR-15 that I should know about.
Thanks in advance.
Sgt_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote