Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2010, 18:31   #1
Brucev

Really Love My SA Mil Spec!!!

It was around 27 degrees when I got out to begin my day off by doing a little studying. About lunch, things got up to maybe 35 degrees... and... I started thinking about a little trip to the range. The other day after finishing up a program at a local extended care facility, I had gone by a local ACE Hardware to do some horse trading. I swapped 12 boxes of MagTec 158 gr. LRN .38 Specials for 10 boxes of 230 gr. .45 ACP FMJ's and 2 boxes of .40 S&W 165 gr. FMJ's. I had already fired the 2 boxes of .40 S&W ammo in my G-22 with excellent results. I had also fired 2 boxes of the MagTec .45 ammo with similar good results. But that was when the temperature was more moderate. Nevertheless I decided not to let the cold weather stop me from enjoying a little trigger time. So with two boxes of MagTec 230 gr. .45 ACP and my SA 1911-A1 Mil Spec in hand, I headed out the door. I so discovered that I had very badly misjudged the temperature! Nevertheless I stayed out and enjoyed shooting my 1911. Shooting at my favorite target, a harrow blade spray painted white, I fired ten shot groups using a two-hand hold. Firing from 15 yds., all the groups were about 4 inches. It was so cold the skin of my right hand started cracking open. I taped up the web of my hand to keep it from also cracking and kept shooting. What I really enjoyed was that at times the harrow blade would spin out a little to the right or left, but if I held properly I could shoot slightly to the opposite side and turn the blade back straight. My best group of the day was when I loaded the gun with five rounds and fired at the axle hole using a one hand hold. I normally don't do well at all firing with only one hand. However apparently this afternoon there was a singular moment when for about 30 seconds my normally less than reliable shooting ability managed to rise to the challenge. The result was that I put five shots into about 1 inch at 15 yds. using plain Jane MagTec 230 gr. FMJ's firing with a one hand hold. I was especially pleased as I did not wait for the wind to stop blowing... I just loaded up and fired. Two of the five rounds went through the axle hole! Now I know very well that there are a world of 1911 pistols out there that will regularly shoot like this at 25 and even 50 yds. But I don't own such pistols. I own this box stock SA Mil Spec that I bought used from a local gun shop. I don't know why the former owner got rid of it, but I am very thankful that I found it and bought it. At some point I do think I will have a trigger job done on the pistol. But other than that, I can't see anything that needs to be changed. The pistol is just about perfect in every respect. (My fingers are crossed for I know how easy it is to begin to get ideas about tweaking a 1911!). Sincerely, Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:04   #2
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Congrats on the Mil-Spec.
Old 01-04-2010, 19:10   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Hey Bruce'.....where's the pictures?!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote