Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2010, 19:34   #1
conpro

Which ak47 to buy ???

I am thinking about buying another ak47 but not sure which one to get. I had a romainian and it always had jamming problems. I want an ak for the reliability of them not to jam all the time. So which one and how much am i expected to pay for a good one.
conpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:28   #2
conpro

No answer so i guess there all junk.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07   #3
EM87

From what I've heard, any AK is a good AK as long as that particular weapon is in good, functioning shape. I have no advice for you because I'm very new at this myself, bet I wish you luck in your search!
EM87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:46   #4
glockin-45

Roadking, Your a senior member,so i hope you regretted saying that. I
can't believe how many people read a post yet wont respond. We can read all the posts and be swayed one way or another. But i think the best
answer to your question is,which ever one YOU like best and how much you want to spend. You can have just as much fun with a cheap one as you can with a more exspensive one. Although i do appreciate hearing
about the ones that are,shall i say not worth the money (junk) fortunately with an AK i would think there'snot to be to many.
Have fun deciding,but i would'nt take to long. Unlike some i only see them going up in price not down.
glockin-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 16:39   #5
limitdliability

What type of romanian AK did you own? What company/importer was it from? Typically these AKs are heavily packed with cosmoline which can considerably affect the reliability and operations of the rifle. Did you thoroughly clean your first AK before firing it? Including the gas tube and all the nooks and crannies? This can make a huge difference!

If you did clean it well, then I would say you may have just had some bad luck, I've fired several WASR-10s and they didn't skip a beat and are pretty affordable...probably won't win any shooting competitions, but if u want that an AK may not be your weapon of choice. Just my 2 cents...but i say give AKs another shot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
limitdliability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 17:56   #6
conpro

It was the romainian, and yes i did clean the thing inside and out, it was pretty clean when i got it, it didnt have much on it to begin with, i know it didnt like hollow points at all but it still jammed on me at least 2 or 3 times per magazine. it was almost like the bullets were hanging up on the feedramp. so i want to get a different model this time.
Old 01-03-2010, 18:14   #7
CWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADKING07 View Post
It was the romainian, and yes i did clean the thing inside and out, it was pretty clean when i got it, it didnt have much on it to begin with, i know it didnt like hollow points at all but it still jammed on me at least 2 or 3 times per magazine. it was almost like the bullets were hanging up on the feedramp. so i want to get a different model this time.
Did you happen to be using a Tapco Mag? I had that problem and it was the mag. I have two of them that I never use (even for range mags). I hear others say they never had any problems.
CWII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 18:35   #8
Kalmah
Supreme Member

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=352

They're on sale, so hurry.
Old 01-03-2010, 19:05   #9
photoguy

Yes see post above.
I recently asked the same question and the Arsenal rifles came highly recommended. In my research I didn't find any negative comments about them. I have one on the way.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 19:24   #10
Righttoown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
Also you have got until Monday Jan 4 to buy their $50 Gift certificates for $45
I did this on Dec 29 and you can use them to buy rifles. For example they have their SGL20-61 for $579. So get online and buy 12 for $45 =$540 that afternoon you will get your E-mail Gift certificates conformation number for
$600 credit. Call up K-Var and order the rifle you want and give them you gift
conformation number. For this rifle your total cost with the estimate of $22 for shipping would be $563.00. So that saves you $38 which will cover your FFL transfer fee with some change let over for a couple of boxes shells to try her out.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:17   #11
PlasticGuy

A lot of the Romanians are imported with single stack mags, and then cut open to accept standard double stack mags. If they did a crappy job of adapting it to the double stack mags, you can have mag fit and feeding problems. In short, you probably had feeding problems because you bought the cheapest converted POS version of an AK47 that anybody has ever built.

Just about anything else is better, but right now the best deals are on Arsenal Nevada conversions of the Russian Saigas. Also, make sure you use good mags. Anything Bulgarian is good, and so is any steel mag from Europe or China.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:18   #12
my762buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
In short, you probably had feeding problems because you bought the cheapest converted POS version of an AK47 that anybody has ever built.
I thought my blunt characterizations of the WASR 10 were rough by calling them the special olympics limited edition Kalashnikov.
In regards to your description, as they say in the lower fringes of society, "That was straight up shot-calling gangster cuz."
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49   #13
WIG19
Light left on

The "Romanians" range from Century WASR's to Romanian parts-builds. In both cases, the quality is often directly related to the skill of the hands on the tools and the receiver used. I'd never buy a CAI WASR sight-unseen. But I've got a great one, mostly because I sat down on the floor of my local shop and evaluated 5 of them arranged around me. Some were junk, a couple woulda been 2nd tier, and the best one went home. At the pre-election price back when I bought it wish I'd bought 2 more. How to fix the common ailments on a WASR is well-documented on the internet and there are some shops that are very adept at cleaning those things up for not very much, including alignment, trigger replacement, magwell issues, etc.

Researching the subject and knowing how to evaluate what's in your hands is usually effort well spent - ya never know when a gem might pop its head up. Romanian parts by themselves are not necessarily junk. OTOH there are a couple of US-builds right now "out there" that truly are junk.
Old 01-05-2010, 14:16   #14
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by my762buzz View Post
I thought my blunt characterizations of the WASR 10 were rough by calling them the special olympics limited edition Kalashnikov.
In regards to your description, as they say in the lower fringes of society, "That was straight up shot-calling gangster cuz."
The fact of the matter is that a 12 year old Afghani boy can build a working AK47 out of bits and pieces of battlefield captures. If somebody in a workshop here in the US can't pull it off with regularity, I have some serious reservations about dealing with the morons. While I'm sure some of them have been functional, I have seen some unbelievable junk come from Century with their Romanain builds.
Old 01-05-2010, 14:19   #15
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Norinco.