Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2010, 18:49   #51
RustyFN

Quote:
An honest question I have-----why does a reloading section exist here if not to share and discuss information? For some of you I would ask--What do you say is a "legitimate" use of the reloading forum? I still believe it is to share info----
I couldn't agree more. The way I look at it is when someone asks "how many grains of Titegroup do I use with a 124 grain bullet in 9mm"? Wouldn't it be better to teach them how to work up a load and give them the skills to be able to do that on their own in the future rather than just tell them 4.2 grains and have them be lost if that doesn't work.
Old 01-06-2010, 18:51   #52
Bones507

Im all for helping anyone at anytime and often need help myself or just want to double check things so i never have a problem with any question.
As far as giving someone a specific load online, im not in favor of people not looking at loadbooks or going to a manufacturers website. Look at a loadbook first, then ask, then re-check what you have been told. Youre only asking for trouble if you dont. One reason i dont approve of giving specific loads is if i give or someone gives a load, how do i know the guy was 100% when he gave it to me ? Its always possible someone rushed and got a powder mixed up or read it wrong and who will suffer ? Then you got guys who instead of saying " I dont know", they will post something they THINK is right.
Brother, i aint never getting caught in that trap. Those are some reasons i dont approve of giving loads out, you can argue till the cows come home but theres just too much that can go wrong. Youre always better off if youre online and need a specific powder load, go to the mfg,s website or if youre that desperate check and recheck it as many places as you can.
And thats that !
Bones507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 19:07   #53
PBKing

Quote:
It's fairly easy to use published information, pick your components and crank out perfectly fine general purpose rounds. Over time, you can put forth the effort and develop whatever type of load that floats your boat without any input from anyone.
Bullseye
Personally I think the more valuable information gleaned from sites has been other than numerical data.
To often lateley it is more like
Quote:
Got my press, dies and pills comin. Man you guys are right, not much on the shelves. Bought a pound off Bullseye, thats all they had. I hate those #$%^%$ primers. crushed half cramin them babies in. Some guy online says he shoots up a lot but has no recipe for Bullseye. Oh I forgot I am going to relode 308. Anyone got any loads they would like to share. I cant seem to find any data. Oh and I will be using PP pills from Wideners.
Thanks

Last edited by PBKing; 01-06-2010 at 19:11..
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 19:32   #54
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBKing View Post
Bullseye
Personally I think the more valuable information gleaned from sites has been other than numerical data.
To often lateley it is more like
Actually, I think the post goes more like this " I got my LNL AP yesterday. What else do I need?"

Don
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 19:32   #55
njl

How many different powders are there? Has anyone tried them all? The manuals don't tell you things like how clean a powder burns in a given load range, how much smoke it makes, what the recoil will be like, the volume of a charge, how well it meters in your powder system, whether a certain charge is likely to cycle a given semi-auto, etc.

As a relative noob to reloading, I was glad I was able to find info like the above on a couple of different powders suitable for the rounds I expect to reload. It helped me choose Universal Clays (mostly because it was reputed to be clean burning and its density is such that a 9mm double charge won't fit in a 9mm case) as a good/safe powder to start off with for 9mm.
Old 01-06-2010, 19:40   #56
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
How many different powders are there? Has anyone tried them all? The manuals don't tell you things like how clean a powder burns in a given load range, how much smoke it makes, what the recoil will be like, the volume of a charge, how well it meters in your powder system, whether a certain charge is likely to cycle a given semi-auto, etc.
Nor can they. Many load manuals use a universal reciever to get pressure data; not actual guns. A few manuals will indicate which gun (if a universal reciever was not used), but it's generally only done for a few select calibers.

How clean it burns not only depends on the powder, but also the projectile. Using a lubed lead projectile or a FMJ? What primer are you using, how deep are you seating the bullet etc? What temp are you shooting at? Depending on how full the case is, the angle of the bullet can have an impact. All those factors will affect how completely the powder burns and how much smoke you get.

Recoil is going to be a function of the gun more than the round. A heavier gun will have less felt recoil than a lighter one.

Whether it cycles your semi-auto is also more a function of the gun rather than the round (mass of the slide, strength of the spring, new or broken in, etc, etc, etc).

That's why it's not covered in the load manual. It doesn't belong in the load manual.

Don
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 23:56   #57
fredj338

Quote:
How clean it burns not only depends on the powder, but also the projectile. Using a lubed lead projectile or a FMJ? What primer are you using, how deep are you seating the bullet etc? What temp are you shooting at? Depending on how full the case is, the angle of the bullet can have an impact. All those factors will affect how completely the powder burns and how much smoke you get.
Not to mention that a powders ability to comletely combust or burn "clean" is often a function of the charge wt./pressure. It's why Unique gets a bad rap as "dirty", it does not run well at IDPA mousefart levels.Powders like H110 are not supposed to be loaded down more thna 3%.
Up until a few years ago, powder manuals didn't even have OAL or they would have SAAMI spec max OAL (almost useless). Once you get into loading high pressure pistol rounds, you realize quickly that OAL matters a lot. Which means bullet shape matters (hear that Mr. Lee).
Quote:
Questions like that are good questions about reloading. Asking what primer size to use in the 9mm is just frickin lazy. That's when someone needs to just say "read the manual". If you keep enabling lazy, shoddy practices, the person will not get it thorugh their little pea brain that this is not baking a cake, it's making a mini bomb & should be approached w/ the seriousness of that in mind. TOugh love baby, for all of you that have never raised children.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 14:59   #58
OgenRwot
Politico

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1 View Post
Technically there is no need for a reloading forum at all. There's all kinds of data manuals available with how-to's provided.
Yeah, that's true, but again, some of us don't have the money needed nor the time to sort through literally hundreds of items in print. The internet is a much more efficiant source to sort/search/sift through the information.

Bottom line:

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE YOUR INFO THEN DON'T!!!

But don't sit around here and ***** about everyone else that does. If you don't like the way the GTR forum is going you can do what Freak did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
We're the coolest guys on the internet. Friday night and we're talking about tap water on an online forum....
OgenRwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:53   #59
rg1

You took part of my post to quote that was not meant to be a statement of the usefullness of a reloading forum. If you read or quote all my post you will notice that I said I appreciate having a reloading forum for the new loaders as well as the experienced. I share what data I have or have access to and check other posted data to compare to mine. Plus it's nice to have a place to share our addictive hobby with others that are "hooked" too. I simply meant what would our forum be if not to post data and ask any question whether technical or not. Some of us believe it or not were reloading before there was an internet, or home computers and we didn't have a reloading forum. It's nice today that all this info, learning and sharing is available.

Last edited by rg1; 01-07-2010 at 21:15..
rg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 17:03   #60
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Actually, I think the post goes more like this " I got my LNL AP yesterday. What else do I need?"

Don
Obviously, a can of Blue spray paint.

The inverse is also true.

Quote:
" I got my 650 yesterday. What else do I need?"
A can of Red spray paint.

Notice it does not work like this.....

Quote:
" I got my 1050Super yesterday. What else do I need?"
Old 01-07-2010, 18:03   #61
RustyFN

Quote:
" I got my 1050Super yesterday. What else do I need?"

You need to invite Rusty over.
Old 01-07-2010, 18:12   #62
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFN View Post
You need to invite Rusty over.

Yeah, and he'll bring you a LNL... and a real tiny little boat 'cause you already have the anchor.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 18:19   #63
RustyFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Yeah, and he'll bring you a LNL... and a real tiny little boat 'cause you already have the anchor.

Jack
Ouch I'll bring beer too.
Old 01-13-2010, 21:30   #64
farnorthwintercamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
BUT, isn't asking questions and seeking advice part of any learning process??? What ever happened to "there are no stupid Questions, only stupid mistakes"?

You guys crack me up, Now that you are all full of years of experience and knowledge you claim the right to tell newcomers (as you guys were once) seeking guidance to Kiss Off and call them Dumb-ass, Lazy and Stupid. Nice!
Or ye'ole' it aint safe in some one elses firearm maybe she will blow you lazy green horn...Well then maybe your re-load sucks and you do not know what you are doing on the bench old timer!!

If any of you lazy s.o.b."s want a great hand load for .308 win. or .44spl. or .45auto p.m. me. And you can run hundreds of them I have done the load development and they will not even blow up your gun!! imagine that! and they will be stupidly accurate guaranteed,,
farnorthwintercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 00:11   #65
Bobshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
your not the only one i was scared ****less the first time i shot my 45/70 no 1 all i could picture was the block crushing my eye and take off the right side of my head.....

Awwww...don't worry about it. If it happens it will be quick and I doubt you will ever know it happened...
Old 01-14-2010, 11:41   #66
Gunnut 45/454

I have never been affraid of pulling the trigger on any load I've built in any firearm I use!!
1. Cause I stayed withing the safety margins of the data-IE use Manuals. 2. All my firearms are of good manufacture. Over 30 years of reloading I have found most accurate laods are 1. not max loads. 2. Whats accurate in your firearm most likely is not accurate in your buddies firearm! Thats cause every gun is as different as you and I!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:48   #67
Maninmirror

Not enough time is a lame excuse. You have the same hours per day I do. If you don't have the time. Either make it or don't re-load.

Save up and buy a Chrono-graph. Smartest purchase of equipment I ever bought.

No matter what you do in life Paying Dues and Laws of average work the same for everyone:

I just fail to see why people think they can go skydiving without a parachute.

The forum is full of valuable information: Individuals Favorite loads isn't one of them: Anyone who uses some elses private load data is cheating the laws of average. Eventually you'll be sorry.

I'd be curious to know how many people have chronographs. I'll admit I saw no need for one until I bought one. This is the best tool I can think of to not only eliminate the variables. But save you valuable time that none of us seem to have enough of.

Don't tell me you can't afford one. If you spending money throwing lead down-range you can afford one.
Maninmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 19:16   #68
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maninmirror View Post
I'd be curious to know how many people have chronographs.
I agree, this is a must have. I have the shooting chrony, one of the best $100 I ever spent as far as reloading equipment. If it blew up tomorrow, I would be getting a replacement.