Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2010, 23:59   #1
glockman23

Considering a G36

Hey folks. I have currently become re-entranced with the .45 ACP caliber for it's stopping power. Of course when I thought of carry options I thought of Glock, and as I don't own one right now I thought I should (I've had them in the past). How do you guys like the 36? Is there a substantial difference in the slim-frame compared to the regular subcompact size wise? Is it worth the 4 round trade-off? Any reliability issues?

I own a Kahr PM9 and carry it regularly. I realize the G36 can't be pocket-carried, but I'd like to have something with a little more "umph" I can carry when situations dictate. This gun will also serve double duty as a nightstand gun (with the PM9 as backup), as I live in an apartment and don't want to go the shotgun route right now. Other guns in the running include the G27 and the G30. Thanks.

Also, are there barrel exchange options for either the G30 or the G36? I'd like to be able to shoot some 9mm at the range.
"Hitting an annoying yellow jacket buzzing a picnic table without spraying the guests or the food might be better practice for combat than long range paper punching. So might a plain old-fashioned water pistol fight."

Last edited by glockman23; 01-06-2010 at 00:06..
glockman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 00:30   #2
Ak.Hiker

I have a Glock 36 and really like it. I do have small hands so the thin grip fits my hand very good. At 22 oz. it is very light and being thinner than the Glock 30 I can hide it under a loose shirt. No problem with even hot 230 grain +p loads. Running some Buffalo Bore 230 grain FMJ flat points the gun reminds me of my 10mm in recoil. Hits hard too. Standard hardball has a little less recoil.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07   #3
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman23 View Post
...are there barrel exchange options for either the G30 or the G36? I'd like to be able to shoot some 9mm at the range.
I've never heard or read of anyone who makes a 45 to 9mm conversion. I would think it would be nearly impossible because the extractor wouldn't come close to the 9mm's rim.

Dave
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46   #4
CajunGlock
Old And Cranky

A G36 has been my daily carry gun for over a year now and I love it. It's the only Glock that really fits me because of the single stack magazine. It's very light and slim so it conceals easily and recoil is very manageable for it's size. Reliability has been 100%. It's been the perfect carry gun for me and I trust it completely. As far as barrel conversions from 45 to 9mm I don't think so.

Cajun......
CajunGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:26   #5
captcurly

I have been carrying a G 36 since Feb.of 2002. The weapon functions at 100%,it is very accurate and easy to conceal. I had no problem with the grip but I adjust to things fast. The G 36 works for me and I hope it will work for you.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:32   #6
tuica

G36 now my main winter carry weapon. I have compared it and the G30 side by side, and the 36 seems, and handles much slimmer. I have medium sized hands, have no problems with wide grips (actually prefer large amount of grip "real estate"), but appreciate the 36's flat OWB carry ability. Reliability issues with some of the earlier models, so I would stick with a newer one. Mine was man. in June 09' and no firing problems so far. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 15:57   #7
Nukem

Yep - I've joined the good folks EDC'ing a model 36. It's a choice you'll never regret.
Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53   #8
glockman23

Thanks for the info. Think the 30 might be more my speed. Like I said, this is primarily going to be a home defense gun (I like the extra rounds, plus I can stick a G21 magazine in it), but I wanted one small enough that it could see some carry time.

Which brings me to my next question- is the "slim frame" standard on the 30 now, or would I have to specify when I order? I saw some online reviews that said there is a G30 and a G30SF, or are they one in the same now with the release of the G36?
"Hitting an annoying yellow jacket buzzing a picnic table without spraying the guests or the food might be better practice for combat than long range paper punching. So might a plain old-fashioned water pistol fight."
glockman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 13:11   #9
tuica

The SF in the G30 stands for Short Frame. Less distance from grip's front to back. Grip width the same. Be sure to handle both, as they feel very different.
Old 01-10-2010, 16:56   #10
cochraneap

don't consider a G36......GO BUY ONE!

don't get the G27 or G30 if you plan on carrying it every day (especially if you're used to the slenderness of the PM9). The G27 and G30 are so thick and chunky, the bulkiness will get on your nerves after a while and it will end up being left at the house more often than not. The G36 is perfect for carry. 7rds of .45ACP should be plenty for most applications.
cochraneap is offline   Reply With Quote