Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2010, 18:19   #1
n2extrm

Cold snowy blues

Well it has been snowing on and off and bellow 30 degrees here for the last month or so. I know it's nothing compared to what some of you have got, but it has me not shooting and not reloading. My reloading room/work shop is detached and not heated. Any good ways to put heat in it safe and effectively? Any body else getting bumed out over this wheather?
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 18:25   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Cast some bullets, it'll warm the cockles of your heart... your hands and nose too.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 19:07   #3
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Cast some bullets, it'll warm the cockles of your heart... your hands and nose too.

Jack
Jack the thought has been racing through my mind (not much to slow it down). I really know very little about it and have so many pokers in the fire, then on another hand a friend just got a big pile of casting equipment he dosn't want and is looking to dump cheap. He bought a lot of stuff at an estate sale and it came with it so it can be had cheap. decisions decisions. Must be cold and deap as heck up by you. Stay warm.
Old 01-02-2010, 19:11   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post
Jack the thought has been racing through my mind (not much to slow it down). I really know very little about it and have so many pokers in the fire, then on another hand a friend just got a big pile of casting equipment he dosn't want and is looking to dump cheap. He bought a lot of stuff at an estate sale and it came with it so it can be had cheap. decisions decisions. Must be cold and deap as heck up by you. Stay warm.

Read the post I just put up for C4W on '100 value pack... may answer some of your questions. He won't read it, he never reads anything I post... he hates me 'cause he's a Flatlander.

BTW... a bottle of Jim Beam may not warm you up but you won't care that it's cold.

Jack

Old 01-02-2010, 19:38   #5
unclebob

Quote:
Well it has been snowing on and off and bellow 30 degrees here for the last month or so. I know it's nothing compared to what some of you have got, but it has me not shooting and not reloading. My reloading room/work shop is detached and not heated. Any good ways to put heat in it safe and effectively? Any body else getting bumed out over this wheather?
How big is it?
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-02-2010, 19:41   #6
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
How big is it?

12 X 16 wood construction, plywood wood floor, uninsulated. I had a portable electric heater in it but it is too small. Guess I need to go bigger.
Old 01-02-2010, 20:49   #7
HAMMERHEAD

A few rolls of cheap insulation and plastic for a vapor barrier and that electric heater just might do the job.
My forecast for tonight calls for -19 degrees, will probably be the coldest night of the winter.
Stay warm!
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:12   #8
Cody Jarrett

Quote:
There are some decent electric heaters but if the garage has no insulation it will just stay cold. Living in the northeast I built my garage with heavy insulation and radiators for heat. Even so it's a bit chilly because of the gaps around the garage doors.
Cody Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:13   #9
deerhunter34

This is my time to cheer on the Lee Hand Press or effectionally known on this forum as the Lee Thighmaster. I have the same weather issues. Don't want to go into the cold garage but I don't have to. I sit in the warm living room and watch tv and prep and load cases. You don't have to do everything with them but they will single stage handle all the loading functions. To me it is relaxing and passes the time. For the little money it costs it sure has a lot of options. Some will snub their noses at it, but I have found it to be a handy gagdet, especially for times like these.
deerhunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:18   #10
fredj338

If you have a south facing wall & some sunshine, you can make a very effective solar heater on that wall (won't help too much at night though). Any bldg really needs to be well insulated to not lose the heat you put into it. A few dollars of insulation will go along way to keeping it habitable.
Quote:
Even so it's a bit chilly because of the gaps around the garage doors.
Try about $20 worth of weather stripping.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:55   #11
n2extrm

Thanks guys. Yeah I guess insulation is top on the list. I have so much stuff hanging on the walls it is the work not the cost. Guess I gotta stop being so lazy!
Old 01-02-2010, 23:04   #12
PCJim

You should know that your greatest heat loss will be thru the ceiling/roof, not the walls, although there is loss there too. Maybe insulating the ceiling and using heat lamps or a radiant style heater instead is a space heater will do the trick.

My father uses a ceramic/radiant propane heater (mounts onto a 20# tank) to heat his 20x24 garage. Probably more expensive than electric heat but it will sure make the area "workable".
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:41   #13
wavetrain75
Useless Member

I feel your pain. I despise the cold with a completely irrational hatred and it was badly cutting into any kind of project production. I finally got one of these:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=46&id=28

Runs off a 20 pound barbecue bottle. I have an oversize two car garage and it raises the temperature 10-20 degrees an hour depending on how cold it is. I'd guess that a 12x16 shop would go from frozen cold to comfortable in less the 30 minutes. Get up in the morning and turn it on, it's as loud as a jet taking off, after breakfast you can turn it off and work in a warm shop. Well worth the price when you consider the work you can get done that would have been put off otherwise.

You could also look at the so-called Chinese hat or sunflower heaters, they would work well in a shop that size and they are quiet.

And yes, it would be worth it to insulate first.

Last edited by wavetrain75; 01-03-2010 at 09:49..
wavetrain75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59   #14
unclebob

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=67445
I think this is what I would use so that it would be out of the way. But first I would like what has been said insulate first. Also if you can find some used carpet and pad, would help also. Depend on what else you do in the shop.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-03-2010, 10:28   #15
n2extrm

I am going to insulate starting today if I can get some time.

Can you insulate the roof rafters? I have no real ceiling it just goes up to the roof rafters and would prefer not to build a cieling. What should I use on the roof, non backed or something with a vapor barier? I have a propane heater that works, but I was scared to run a flame heater in an area where I am using powder and primers.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44   #16
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Run at least R-33 pink insulation with paper backing. Staple the sides to the rafters or use tension metal stays to hold it in place. (Stapling is easier and cheaper.

If you want to go through the trouble and expense you can staple a plastic vapor barrier to the bottom of the rafters after the insulation is in place. No real need to install a ceiling other than for a finished look and another layer of insulation.

If you have windows that are not finished with casings or other gaps open to the elements fill them with expanding foam. Very cheap, comes in a pressurized can and a little goes a very long way. (The stuff grows like the blob.)

If your floor is bare concrete get a cheap throw rug at Wally World, it'll keep you feet much warmer and be more comfortable to stand on.

If none of this helps move to Jamaica, you may not load much but you'll be smoking enough 'Ganja' that you won't care.

Jack

Old 01-03-2010, 12:05   #17
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Read the post I just put up for C4W on '100 value pack... may answer some of your questions. He won't read it, he never reads anything I post... he hates me 'cause he's a Flatlander.

BTW... a bottle of Jim Beam may not warm you up but you won't care that it's cold.

Jack
Flatlander?

As far as I am concerned all you guys are highlanders.
I am at elevation 7'.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:13   #18
fredj338

Quote:
I am going to insulate starting today if I can get some time.

Can you insulate the roof rafters? I have no real ceiling it just goes up to the roof rafters and would prefer not to build a cieling. What should I use on the roof, non backed or something with a vapor barier? I have a propane heater that works, but I was scared to run a flame heater in an area where I am using powder and primers.
Just don't put the heater near the powder/primer storage or your work area. The rafter insul alone will make a huge diff. Wall insul is nice but roof insul is mandatory IMO.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 15:27   #19
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Flatlander?

As far as I am concerned all you guys are highlanders.
I am at elevation 7'.

I grew up at 7 feet elevation... Ft. Lauderdale. Although I'm not a Colorado native, I got here as quick as I could.

Jack

Old 01-03-2010, 16:59   #20
unclebob

The highest point in the State of Florida is only 345ft.
GSSF Life Member