Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:04   #76
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
This my reloading bench.
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ading%20bench/
Follow this link too my photo bucket album.
Wow, very nice. Thanks for doing that.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35   #77
unclebob

The bottom cabinet was made about 33 years ago. When we lived in base housing. So being in the Air Force and the longest I ever stayed up too that point was 18 months in anyone place. Boy was I wrong on that one. Got here in 1976 and have been here ever since. So it was designed to be taken apart and reassemble. I could completely dissemble in too individual pieces or front, back, and two sides. And since I was living in base housing attaching it too the wall was out of the question.
At the time I only had the 4 Mec 650 and the Rock chucker presses. The Rock Chucker hangs down off the bench and since there were doors that would be opened. Using a2X4 across the front, I would not be able too open the doors all the way. So I used a 2X6 across the front. 4X4 Legs and 2X4 for the rest ” plywood for the sides and back 3/4” plywood for the two shelves.
The tabletop is like I said before 2x12 in front and 2x6 glued and bolted together. Then two layers of MDF on top. The insert in the middle if for different tools and press that I do not use all the time. All I do is pull the blank insert out and put the one with the tool already mounted in the slot and two bolts hold it in place. Unless you are interested in how I did it I well leave it at that.
The back cabinets are the second one I made. That is why the top and bottom cabinets are a different color. The top cabinet is attached too the tabletop. Since I could not attach it too the wall also. The door panels, I was going too make and put in stain glass of scenes like deer, ducks, etc. But never got around in doing it and lost interest.
Hope this gave you some ideas.
You are welcome. Glad too have done it.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-11-2010, 15:35   #78
Bones507

Heres my bench, its 45 inches high as im tall.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...765/Bench1.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...765/Bench2.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/w...765/Bench3.jpg
Bones507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:07   #79
Memnok

Ok, I finally got some photos of my bench. I've been remodeling my office, because it looked like a grenade went off in there. The sheet rock was all messed up, the ceiling had water damage from a leak in the old roof, the linoleum flooring did not cover the entire floor... It was not a good looking space.

I'm still working on it; I have baseboard to go around the floors, and I'll need some 1/4 round to cover the gaps where the walls meet, but the bench is done.

The sheet rock on the back wall came out completely. I ran some new romex, and added several outlets. Then I covered it with 3/4 in ply. I took good notes on where the studs were, so when it came time to install the bench, I was able to hit the studs every time.

The shelf on the bottom is 2x4 with a 3/4" sheet. It is bolted to the studs on the back wall and supported by legs in the front. The bench is supported on the back by a 2x4 bolted 6 times to the studs on the back wall. The front is all 4x6 beam.

Reloading

The side supports were notched into the 2x4 on the back, and the 4x6 on the front. I also cut a 1 1/2 inch notch out of the 4x6 for the two sheets of 3/4" ply to sit so that it is recessed on the top.

Reloading

When I bolted it all together I concealed all the hardware so nothing is seen in the front.

Reloading

Reloading

Reloading

This thing is SOLID. With two layers of 3/4" ply on the top, that gives me a 1 1/2" deck, supported by the studs on the back, and a 4x6 beam on the front. I'm fairly certain that when I get the press bolted up there won't be any movement.

Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:42   #80
shotgunred
reloading nut

I am not a fan of the lag screw or strong tie look. You can make kitchen quality cabinets with a table saw, router and a Kreg pocket hole jig. I have finished my bathroom cabinets with the pocket hole jig and I am now working on the kitchen. After that I will have time to build some for reloading.

http://www.kregtool.com/index.php
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:55   #81
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
I am not a fan of the lag screw or strong tie look. You can make kitchen quality cabinets with a table saw, router and a Kreg pocket hole jig. I have finished my bathroom cabinets with the pocket hole jig and I am now working on the kitchen. After that I will have time to build some for reloading.

http://www.kregtool.com/index.php
That is very true but if you build it so if need be you can taken apart and put it back together multiple times. Cannot be mount it too the wall. Pocket holes are not going to hack it. And also since it cannot be mounted too the wall you need go with mass.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-11-2010, 17:23   #82
Colorado4Wheel

I think I have decided to make a simple table top at the height I want. Probably make it 24 inch's maybe even 30" deep. I have some spare wood right now. I would need to by some material for the legs and leg supports. I will probably do it like in this picture.

Reloading

All you need is some 1X3 paint grade Fir, Screw it through the 3/4 inch board from the top (with glue) I will make some 4X4 legs of some sort, paint them white. This way the legs are removeable. They can also be tightened. I will probably use some spare hardwood flooring for the top. It's prefinished. Glue and nail it to the 3/4 board. I have a ton of spare plywood so I can make it as thick as I want as long as I can find a edge I like. I don't want to invest a bunch of money in this thing. I just want to try loading while standing. If I make the top 36 deep I can put shelving behind it and still have a 24 inch deep work area. I will of course attach it to some sort of ledger board attached to my wall. I find getting it attached to the wall is the most important part. I used to reload using the table in that picture. It wobbled till I used two simple screws attached to simple removeable drywall anchors (not even in the stud). Once attached to the wall with those two drywall anchors it was very stable. I made that thing about 15 years ago out of some spare #2 Oak and some fir with some store bought legs. You can stand on it to this day and it still has strong legs because of that simple design for mounting the legs to the top.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 01-11-2010 at 17:29..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:51   #83
Hoser
Mall Ninja

My bench top is 36 inches high. Add in the strong mount and its right around 42 inches from floor to shellplate on my 550.

I stand when I reload. I tried the sit deal, but didnt like it. For progressive reloading anyway. For single stage rifle, I can sit all day long.

Reloading
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote