Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:10   #1
curriek

Magpul AFG in... Build finally complete

After playing around with many different setups (optics, grips, stocks), I have finally completed my AR just the way I want it. Couldn't be happier with my BCM upper, and I built the lower. Bet this will make the Magpul fans happy...

BCM 16" Midlength Upper with DD Omega Rail
Noveske Lower
Young National Match Light BCG
Magpul: ACS stock, MOE Grip, XTM Rail Panels, ASAP plate, MBUS, BAD lever, Trigger guard, and the AFG
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
Aimpoint Comp M4 w/ Larue Mount
Primary Arms Weaponlight
and Vortex Flashider

Gun has about 500 rounds through it with no hiccups at all... very very pleased.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Oh and I just got the Camelbak Delta-5 off of AR15.com and could not be happier. Excellent rig.

Last edited by curriek; 01-02-2010 at 20:25..
curriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 15:36   #2
ezterra

I like how the Magpul AFG looks. How does it feel? Looking at the AFG in the packaging, I thought it would look silly, but it doesn't. It seems less obtrusive than a standard VFG too. Nice build.
Old 01-02-2010, 16:13   #3
COBRA90GT

How do you like shooting with the AFG ? If you have gotten a chance to shoot it yet, that is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 16:29   #4
reaper8154

I can't speak for the OP, but I just put an AFG on my rifle yesterday. I haven't got to shoot with it yet, but it is actually pretty comfy. I am still not sold on it, but it appears to be a winner.

To the OP, nice rifle. How is the PA light, and how do you activate it?
reaper8154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 17:04   #5
curriek

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper8154 View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but I just put an AFG on my rifle yesterday. I haven't got to shoot with it yet, but it is actually pretty comfy. I am still not sold on it, but it appears to be a winner.

To the OP, nice rifle. How is the PA light, and how do you activate it?
Thanks for the compliments. The PA light has a push button for constant on/off and it also comes with a pressure switch end cap if you wish to use that. Not a bad light, didn't feel like spending 200+ for a Surefire... plus it's got a higher output that SF.

As for the AFG... I haven't shot with it yet. I had a Larue FUG before and loved that, but a $65 price different between the FUG and the AFG led me to the AFG this time around. Like Reaper, I'm still not sold on it, I'll have to shoot with it. I hate to say it, but right now I like it over the FUG. The only downside is that the AFG can interfere with lights/lasers or other things mounted on the sides. I had to switch my light around so that it will not interfere with the AFG.
Old 01-02-2010, 17:14   #6
furioso2112

I recently finished off a new setup similar to that: BCM midlength upper/DD Lite 12", SS410 16" barrel with IonBond (supposed to be a nice finish for several reasons, I mainly got it b/c I wanted a black barrel and didn't want to Oxpho-blu the whole thing), PWS TTO compensator, Magpul MBUS/BAD/ACS/AFG/ASAP/MS2/XTM rail panels, Young Mfg. NM (heavy) BCG, Geissele hi-speed match trigger, Ergo rite-pull and a beer-can sized grip (Ergo, don't remember the model name), QD sling swivel attachment points all around, Spike's 2 buffer assembly, Brownell's extended mag release (I really like the rite-pull - gets my finger just right on the trigger, but then I need the ext mag release to avoid changing my grip for mag changes), EoTech on a GGG QD (and with GGG's lens protectors, which I really like), and a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40, mil dot reticle, tac knobs on a LaRue QD. Mostly the Leupold is for my .308 AR, but I sight it in and leave room for it on the 5.56, too.

Just finished, so no pics or range report yet. I am anxious to test the buffer/mid-length/heavy bolt setup for reliability. It's seems like A LOT of changes to a basic setup to me, but we'll see. I plan to eventually do my version of torture testing on it next to my basic setup carbine (nothing fancy, all run-of-the-mill, standard, although chrome-lined 1 in 7", and a different grip (Ergo rite-pull and Magpul MIAD)...YHM flip-up front/ARMS 40L rear sights)...and, now that I think about it, I guess it has a couple other mods - BCM extractor upgrade (generic bolt, though), and a DD 7.0 X Omega rail. We'll see if one beats the other in accuracy, reliability, and my perceived ease of use/subjective measures.

Good luck with yours - looks like nice work, seems like you put some thought into what you wanted and were able to get it together. Hope you enjoy shooting it even more than building it.

ETA: I suppose I'm still not convinced of the AFG yet, either, but it is closer to my ideal design than anything else. I took mine apart and switched the finger groove insert around, so the groove is higher up, and this seems more natural and comfortable to me. With just enough room at the end of the rail for my QD bi-pod mount, it sits just right for me. I have not yet mounted my light on this setup.

Also - my builds are on Essential Arms lowers, with M&A Parts's LPKs...except for the semi-custom job, which has had most of those parts replaced.

Last edited by furioso2112; 01-02-2010 at 17:19..
furioso2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 17:22   #7
furioso2112

Looks like you have the add-on sling swivel mount on your ACS - do you like that? I bought it and put it on when I had ordered other parts, to save on shipping if I ended up wanting it. Not sure if I'll use that as a mounting spot, though it seems it could be handy if the ASAP makes a lot of noise, or the gun rotates into a position I don't like at rest. I'm tall enough that a point that far back would still allow my relaxed hand to rest near the grip, so we'll see.
Old 01-02-2010, 18:28   #8
curriek

No, I don't have the swivel mount on it. Just the ASAP plate which works very well in conjunction with the vest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
Looks like you have the add-on sling swivel mount on your ACS - do you like that? I bought it and put it on when I had ordered other parts, to save on shipping if I ended up wanting it. Not sure if I'll use that as a mounting spot, though it seems it could be handy if the ASAP makes a lot of noise, or the gun rotates into a position I don't like at rest. I'm tall enough that a point that far back would still allow my relaxed hand to rest near the grip, so we'll see.
Old 01-02-2010, 20:00   #9
furioso2112

Really? Not to get onto minutia, but it really looks like one is on there. I am talking about towards the back of the stock - the far end of the stock release lever is pointing at it - before I put a mount there (which I had to pay $20 for), there was just a big hole - it really looks from the picture like there is one on your stock.

You wrote that the ASAP works well with the vest...do you attach right to your vest, or do you refer to the ability to switch shoulder to shoulder with the vest on?

Last edited by furioso2112; 01-02-2010 at 20:04..
furioso2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 20:02   #10
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Looks like just the hole without the mount to me.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 20:06   #11
furioso2112

okay - must be my monitor. I'm on a laptop. I remembered the hole before I put one in seeming rather noticeable. I'm sure he knows his gun, too. Could be my aging eyesight.
Old 01-02-2010, 20:23   #12
curriek

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
Really? Not to get onto minutia, but it really looks like one is on there. I am talking about towards the back of the stock - the far end of the stock release lever is pointing at it - before I put a mount there (which I had to pay $20 for), there was just a big hole - it really looks from the picture like there is one on your stock.

You wrote that the ASAP works well with the vest...do you attach right to your vest, or do you refer to the ability to switch shoulder to shoulder with the vest on?

There is a QD sling attached directly to the vest and it has enough room for me to transition from shoulder to shoulder. I had the Magpul MS2, but I didn't like how it dug into my neck and it felt awkward with a vest on.
Old 01-02-2010, 20:32   #13
furioso2112

Sounds like a nifty setup. I'd like to see a pic of that if you ever feel like posting one. I'll look up the vest, too - maybe that will have a pic.
Old 01-02-2010, 20:58   #14
curriek

The guy that sold me the vest put it together very nicely, and I think I got it for a bargain. Here are the specs on the vest:

1x CAMELBAK Delta 5 Tactical Hydration Vest Desert Digital
4x EAGLE FB Double Stack Pistol Mag Pouches
2x CONDOR M4 Double Mag Pouches
1x CONDOR Flashlight Pouch (for Surefire G2 size)
1x VOODOO TACTICAL Single Pistol Mag Pouch (for multi tool)
1x CONDOR Dump Pouch
1x CONDOR Tear-Away Foldout Med Pouch (included & fully loaded)
1x CONDOR Medium Zipper Pouch (for gloves/spare mag)
1x GERBER LMF2 Survival Knife

Black Rifle Forum

Here's one with the sling:

Black Rifle Forum

When I wore the MS2, the gun would hang directly down the center of my body and hit me in my groin numerous times... The sling on the vest allows it to be carried on the side... It's also nice that it can be attached to the opposite side as well, although the knife is in the way right now.

Last edited by curriek; 01-02-2010 at 21:02..
Old 01-02-2010, 21:07   #15
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by curriek View Post
After playing around with many different setups (optics, grips, stocks), I have finally completed my AR just the way I want it. Couldn't be happier with my BCM upper, and I built the lower. Bet this will make the Magpul fans happy...

BCM 16" Midlength Upper with DD Omega Rail
Noveske Lower
Young National Match Light BCG
Magpul: ACS stock, MOE Grip, XTM Rail Panels, ASAP plate, MBUS, BAD lever, Trigger guard, and the AFG
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
Aimpoint Comp M4 w/ Larue Mount
Primary Arms Weaponlight
and Vortex Flashider

Gun has about 500 rounds through it with no hiccups at all... very very pleased.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Oh and I just got the Camelbak Delta-5 off of AR15.com and could not be happier. Excellent rig.
Very nice looking gun. Good job on that set up.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:23   #16
furioso2112

That's a nice vest setup. I prefer belt-mounted pouches (I found out only after I bought an expensive vest with many mag pouches that are higher than is comfortable for me to get into as quickly as I want to). The vests seem to be better for grab-and-go readiness and retention, though.

Looks like you have all the extra attachments for that Camelback tube, too - I recently bought the tube insulator and the big-mought end, that thing comes in really handy. I like the magnet, too, to keep the mouthpiece from floating all over the place. I took my reservoir out of a hiking setup, though, so I had to rig up another magnet to attract the mouthpiece. I ended up taping a neodymium magnet to my vest to test the placement - now I have to figure out how to attach it permanently.

Again, looks like a great setup - gun and vest.
Old 01-02-2010, 22:34   #17
curriek

Thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2010, 00:19   #18
reaper8154

Are you a lefty or righty?
reaper8154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:08   #19
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Congrats, it's a good looking build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:52   #20
curriek

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper8154 View Post
Are you a lefty or righty?
Righty...