Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:35   #1
HomeLandPatriot

True 5.56

With the massive misconceptions and general mislabeling of .223 = 5.56, what are some true 5.56x45 rounds?

I know .223 can be shot out of a 5.56 upper and bbl, albeit a little less accurate, but that the opposite doesn't hold true.

What are some manufacturers that sell tried and true 5.56, even though they may or may not be labeled .223?

Forgot to add, anyone have experience with this.....

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...3-556-fmj-ammo

I love traditional tap in other platforms, and a cheaper training round sounds very nice.
HomeLandPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:50   #2
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

I will admit...when I got my AR, I did not think there was a difference between the two rounds.

However, I did end up buying mine that shoots both rounds and it shoots both of them very well. I tend to use just FMJ ammo in mine, but that is only because it is generally the cheapest and most available in my area. I love the platform regardless of whether I am shooting .223 or 5.56X45.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:55   #3
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeLandPatriot View Post
what are some true 5.56x45 rounds?
I bang Prvi M193 and it's been AWESOME!!!
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 13:06   #4
Glockaholic
CLM Number 102
Charter Lifetime Member

I just purchased some of the Hornady TAP Training 55gr. FMJ Ammo. I hope to shoot some this weekend. I'll try and post a report if I am able to do so.

In the meantime, this is worthwhile reading:

http://www.razoreye.net/mirror/ammo-...cle_Mirror.htm

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=185
Big Dawg #501
Glockaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 16:37   #5
thunderbat

It is interesting that Hornady would produce a round in a steel case, especially under their TAP label. Wonder what the Wolf haters would say about that???? At less than $.30 a round, for plinking, it's a relative bargain...
thunderbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 16:44   #6
HomeLandPatriot

it seems to hold the same basic makeup of the regular TAP stuff, just slightly tweaked to make practice affordable.

So, as to my original question, would such a round perform as advertised in a 5.56 rifle?
Old 01-06-2010, 16:51   #7
thunderbat

steel case v. brass is hardly a tweak--it is cheap practice ammo loaded to .223 specs. Again I am surprised that Hornady would market this stuff under their TAP name...For the price, I would rather shoot PMC through mine and reload the brass...
thunderbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 18:41   #8
Glocks&Ducs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbat View Post
It is interesting that Hornady would produce a round in a steel case, especially under their TAP label. Wonder what the Wolf haters would say about that???? At less than $.30 a round, for plinking, it's a relative bargain...
I'm pretty sure Wolf haters do so because it is smelly, less accurate, less powerful, and less reliable than many other brands of ammo.

Since I am pretty sure Hornady isn't producing their steel cased ammo to the same low standards, it would stand to reason that it can't be as cheap as Wolf, or that Wolf haters wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 00:28   #9
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

True 5.56 is sold as the M, XM or Armament Labs stuff. Usually the hunting stuff is labeled .223Rem and that is pretty accurate as far as what it is.

The NATO specs call for a different SAAMI pressure than the civilian 223Rem.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:27   #10
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeLandPatriot View Post
With the massive misconceptions and general mislabeling of .223 = 5.56, what are some true 5.56x45 rounds?

I know .223 can be shot out of a 5.56 upper and bbl, albeit a little less accurate, but that the opposite doesn't hold true.

What are some manufacturers that sell tried and true 5.56, even though they may or may not be labeled .223?

Forgot to add, anyone have experience with this.....

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...3-556-fmj-ammo

I love traditional tap in other platforms, and a cheaper training round sounds very nice.
Just to clarify .223 shot out of a 5.56 is not less accurate.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:49   #11
mgs
Always Carrying

True 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures than most commercial .223...I purchased some factory Federal American Eagle .223 55FMJ years ago that was loaded so hot it expanded the primer pockets (on the first firing) and the brass was junk. This could have been caused by using a 5.56 NATO load in a commercial case (non crimped primer or soft brass). Higher chamber pressures of 5.56 recommend a 5.56 chamber, Mike.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:22   #12
Mwinter
I'm MilkMan Dan

Hornady 75gr TAP and Speer Gold Dot 64gr JSP are both currently offered as factory .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm NATO. The velocity difference can be as little as +/-50fps, depending on the gun/lot.

I issue both 5.56 and .223 duty and practice ammunition at my department. One of the best patrol rifle rounds out there (Federal Bonded Tactical 62gr JSP, as used by DEA) is available only in .223.

I have not seen anything supporting .223 being less accurate in general in a 5.56 chambered rifle. Improper combinations of barrel length/twist and bullet weight/type are much more likely to cause unacceptable accuracy in my experience.
Singled out, and called to arms to defend what they hold dearest, the number of truly evil people would be small. The number of truly good people, even smaller....those too afraid, too weak or too ill-prepared to fight would be countless.
Mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16   #13
HomeLandPatriot

So from what I'm reading, it is perfectly fine to shoot .223 out of a 5.56 barrel and there are negligible effects on performance. The weight and grain of the barrel would affect performance and the twist rate much more.

So .223 out of a 5.56 marked receiver and bbl is just fine, but 5.56 out of a .223 mark receiver bbl is not. Matching proper twist rate and bullet weight is more important, but there is no harm to hte rifle shooting hte lower pressured 223 out of a barrel meant for 5.56.

Thats the way I understood it before, but I seem to have confused myself
Old 01-07-2010, 11:59   #14
kdcgrohl
HK-aholic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
I bang Prvi M193 and it's been AWESOME!!!
+one.