Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2010, 19:30   #1
farrellsm77
Infidel Strong

Send a message via MSN to farrellsm77
Heine or XS Big Dots?

I am planning on getting either a G21 SF or a G30 SF in a few months and I was wondering which of these sights you guys would prefer?
Old 01-06-2010, 19:34   #2
Airborne Infantryman
'Murica!

XS Big Dot 24/7s! FTW! I love them, and they are bright as heck! Just don't expect to do major target shooting with them, although I've seen a video online of a guy hit a pepper popper at 100 yards or something like that....they work great for me at around 15-20 yards.

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Sights, Optics and Lasers
Old 01-07-2010, 08:21   #3
Wickersham

Heinie! Big dots are bad news - bad quality control and useless past 15 yards. They guy in the video is Chuck (not Chuck, JAMES) Yeager and he is an excellent pistoleer. 99/100 could not hit anything with big dots at 100 yds.

Last edited by efarmer21; 01-07-2010 at 10:22..
Wickersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48   #4
ricklee4570

I think most would agree that the big dot sight is limited to 7 to 10 yards.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by efarmer21 View Post
Heinie! Big dots are bad news - bad quality control and useless past 15 yards. They guy in the video is Chuck Yeager and he is an excellent pistoleer. 99/100 could not hit anything with big dots at 100 yds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
I think most would agree that the big dot sight is limited to 7 to 10 yards.
I respectfully sidagree with all the above.

Big Dots are outstanding, if you know how to shoot!
And I have absolutely NO respect for that coward Yaeger.

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 01-07-2010 at 09:39..
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39   #6
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

I have the XS standard dot sights on my 27 and have no problem shooting cans at 25yds, They are great sights imo.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43   #7
REDDAWN

Quote:
Heinie! Big dots are bad news - bad quality control and useless past 15 yards. They guy in the video is Chuck Yeager and he is an excellent pistoleer. 99/100 could not hit anything with big dots at 100 yds.
+1 I have had them Both. I got rid of the Big Dots PDQ all my Glocks wear HEINE Sites........
REDDAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08   #8
Kosher Larry
MWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
And I have absolutely NO respect for that coward Yaeger.
Not to hijack this thread, but all I've ever known of Chuck Yeager is that he was the first to break the speed of sound. What is it that he did that makes him a coward? This is an honest question, not intended to be sarcastic at all.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09   #9
walkin' trails

I have had experience with both. I installed a set of Heinie Straight 8 Slant Pros on my G23 about five or so years ago. I thought that the slighly narrower front sight profile would help me with tighter groups at distance. Then, I got the bug to change out the sights on my G27, which is mainly off the clock and backup. As my eyes are aging, I decided to check out the claims that the big white dot of the XS sights would improve my sight picture and speed. I started wearing bifocals. A friend had put the big dots on his 27 and liked them.

Here's my experience with the XS:

1. The XS were as easy to install as any sights I've ever installed on a Glock.

2. The XS sight were the hardest to get zero'd as I found that express type shallow V notch to be more ambiguous than a standard notch.

3. I could still hit an FBI Q style target out to 50 yards, although it took more consentration. My problem was that my groups at closer distances were not near as tight. I shoot a lot, but just couldn't get used to the XS sight picture.

I finally removed them and installed a set of Heinies just like my 23. What I discovered was that the serrated front ramp of the Heinies caught my eye better than the big white dot. I am faster with the Heinies.

As a side note, in between all this, I installed a set of Warren Sevigny tritium sights on a G21. The front sight of the Sevigny has no serrations, and was hard to acquire when there was enough light to outshine the tritium.

I you don't plan to ever use a pistol beyond 15 yards, and for purely defensive purposes, and you plan to practice with a new type of sighting system, try the XS. If you are a long time shooter who is pretty used to the blade-notch of a standard sight system and plans for the pistol to be a little more versitile, go with the Heinies. On this site, I've never heard of anyone who hated the Heinies after installing them. May find a set of sights they like better, but they never hate the Heinies.

Also, 10-8 Performance makes a set of sights for Glock pistols now that appear to be similar in performance. Run a search for 10-8 Performance or 10-8 Sights.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:15   #10
Wickersham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosher Larry View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but all I've ever known of Chuck Yeager is that he was the first to break the speed of sound. What is it that he did that makes him a coward? This is an honest question, not intended to be sarcastic at all.
My mistake (and a big one to boot ). It is James Yeager in the video and the XS lover, not Chuck!

On a side note, I drunk the XS koolaid a while back and put them on three pistols. My experience with their QC can be found in other threads on this forum. In a nutshell, I had to go through several exchanges to get propery functioning sights (rear tritium stripe was dim, not working at all, or crooked). Before anyone chimes in about improper install - they came out of the new sealed package messed up.

Other than that, they were okay for combat defensive shooting distances, but really no better than standard sights at the distances they were designed for.

Last edited by efarmer21; 01-07-2010 at 10:20..
Wickersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24   #11
Kosher Larry
MWAG

Quote:
My mistake (and a big one to boot ). It is James Yeager in the video and the XS lover, not Chuck!

On a side note, I drunk the XS koolaid a while back and put them on three pistols. My experience with their QC can be found in other threads on this forum. In a nutshell, I had to go through several exchanges to get propery functioning sights (rear tritium stripe was dim, not working at all, or crooked). Before anyone chimes in about improper install - they came out of the new sealed package messed up.

Other than that, they were okay for combat defensive shooting distances, but really no better than standard sights at the distances they were designed for.
Gotcha...I just did a Google on him and saw the video. So that guy, who ran like a little girl, teaches combat, huh? Love it.

To give my input, I use Meprolight Tru-Dots on my Glocks. Super bright, easy to align, not too expensive, and I love the white by day, green by night effect. That is all. Thread de-hijacked.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38   #12
VELO

Quote:

Put me in the category of still a Big Dot koolaid drinker.

But, I have to agree with efarmer about the QC. I had to go through two rear sights to get one that worked properly. In the defense of XS, where they are lacking in QC, their customer service is outstanding. Great product support.

I have the 24/7s on my G26 and really like them for the close-in situations that they are designed for.

I also have a set of Meprolight Tru-Dots on my G-19 that are great too. I will likely be swapping those to XS in the future. I just like the XS sight picture for the kind of shooting that I do.

ETA: I have no experience with the Heine's so I can't really help with the comparison you asked, but thought I'd share my thoughts regarding XS.
VELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 15:15   #13
HAMMERHEAD

I really like Heinie's, plenty of speed, excellent accuracy.
Their strong points for me are a wide and deep rear notch (deep really seems to help), crisp clean edges without teflon type coatings so they don't have any glare in extreme lighting conditions, and they are plain blued steel, which means if I need to adjust elevation a little I can just stone off a little on the front or rear to fine tune them, then re-blue with a touch up pen.
All my Glocks have had Heinies, I get them from Midway or from Custom Glock Racing. CGR carries the nice steel nut driver for installing the front.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:47   #14
farrellsm77
Infidel Strong

Send a message via MSN to farrellsm77
Thanks for the heads up on the XS QC. I have Warren Tactical Sevigny Tritiums on my G22, I like the 8 style dots. The Warrens a too sharp and the upcoming G30 is gonna be my CCW piece.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:49   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

The front sight on a Heinie Stratight 8 is near razor sharp!
I removed a set from a G19 RTF2 I recently traded. I have
standard sights on my G19 and G30 right now.

Will go back to Meps or Ameriglo sights.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote