GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2010, 19:31   #1
JohnW1963

Lee Classic Turret in action: I like it!

Lee Classic Turret Press Review

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM54KBOf4IY

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRn_t...eature=related

also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9...eature=related

I'm just getting into reloading pistol and rifle, been reloading shotty since I was a kid. I had been thinking of going Lee Breech Lock Challenger single but after re-reading the sticky posts above and then searching YouTube and finding the above linked review of the Lee Classic Turret, I think I am sold on it! I can use it as a single if I want to, or have it auto-index and at Kempf's the Classic Turret Kit is only about $40 more than the Breech Lock Challenger kit. I can start slow and then later on speed things up a bit!

How consistent is the auto powder dispenser with the classic turret kit?
Old 01-09-2010, 19:41   #2
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I can't answer your questions but I bought the Lee single stage a couple weeks ago and I'm really happy with it. I got the Lee Reloading Book from Midway for about $14 and it has a lot of info on that powder dispenser you want to know about.
Old 01-09-2010, 20:39   #3
LoadedTech

From what I've read, it seems like it depends on the powder being used. I have great/constant results throwing w231 with the perfect powder discs. Even the directions say flaky powders could throw light in under .40cc. Welcome to reloading! I like my loadmaster alot!
Old 01-09-2010, 20:59   #4
RustyFN

The pro auto disk is very consistent with smaller powders, I haven't use it with Unique or any other coarse powder. I have been loading on my classic turret for around four years and am very happy with the press.
Old 01-09-2010, 21:17   #5
PBKing

The Pro Auto Disc and Adjustable disc work great with ball , flat ball and the like powders. The lowest consistant charge I can throw is 3.1 gr W 231 with the disc. I havent tried any AA that low.
The adjustable disc gets a little iffy on the low side but works very well.
Loads of fun to ya.
The LCTP is a Super Value

Last edited by PBKing; 01-09-2010 at 21:20..
PBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 21:34   #6
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Have just purchased one to replace my Lee single stage breech lock press.The Lee Classic turret is excellent value for money and has speeded up the reloading process considerably.
ChrisJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 21:57   #7
meleors
Cranky Member

The classic turret is a wonderful press. Keep in mind that if you decide to get the Lee Safety Prime you will also need the Lee Auto-Disk Riser so the autodisk will not hit the Safety Prime unit. If you are going to load more than 1 caliber, get extra turrets so you can leave your dies setup.
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:35   #8
jwc17

Mine drops 4.6 grains of Winchester 231 for 9mm rounds and 4.9 grains of Winchester 231 for 45acp rounds with amazing accuracy and consistancy. I tried using Lee's adjustable charge bar but did not have much luck with it, so I went back to using the disks that come with the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measurer.

I considered buying a progressive press, but I load 150 to 200 rounds a week and can easily load 50 rounds on my LCT in 15 minutes so I could not justify it. Switching caliburs only takes a few seconds and you have a lot more control with the LCT vs. a progressive press, so pulling the handle four times vs. once for each round is worth it to me.

I like everything about my Lee Classic Turret Press. It's a great system and Kempf is a great vendor.

Last edited by jwc17; 01-10-2010 at 01:51..
jwc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:48   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Ok, I like the LCT, but did that guy actually say you can "easily load 500 rounds an hour" at about 7:05 of video 2?

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:13   #10
sigman69

i have a lee turret press and have had good luck with it...although if i had they i would have a dillion!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:38   #11
srd

As you are finding out the Lee is an excellent investment . I have 2 of them that are at least 18 years old. You are correct about using it slowly or putting in the shaft to speed things up. The powder measure is quite accurate for what it is. Ball powders work real well. Flake powders can be iffy such as Unique. All the AA powders for pistol usage also flow consistently in my opinoin. Have fun and good luck.
srd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:00   #12
jwc17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Ok, I like the LCT, but did that guy actually say you can "easily load 500 rounds an hour" at about 7:05 of video 2?

IGF
I suppose you could do 500 in an hour if you worked really fast.

I like to work in blocks of 15 minutes so I can concentrate and not get fatigued.

50 rounds on the LCT every 15 minutes allows me to check powder weight and overall length several times and pull the handle at a reasonable pace.

I got caught up thinking about how nice it would be to be able to crank out rounds on a progressive press a while ago, then realized I really have no reason to rush.
jwc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc17 View Post
I suppose you could do 500 in an hour if you worked really fast.
LOL... Sorry, not buying that one. I don't know if he intentionally imbelished that, or just got confused(he sounded a bit nervous for whatever reason)...

If you hit 200rds on an LCT, you are really moving. 250 to me seems almost completely impossible, let alone 500. He might be getting a little faster, because he is priming off of the press, but even then where he only has to seat a shell and a bullet, I can't see 500 an hour, and I guarantee you it would not be easy.

IGF
Old 01-10-2010, 12:13   #14
chineseboxer

I have the LCT Kit and love it. Currrentl loading 9mm &40sw. The powder measure is VERY consistent with the powder I use (win 231). I think for the $$ it is the way to go.
chineseboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:49   #15
RustyFN

Quote:
LOL... Sorry, not buying that one. I don't know if he intentionally imbelished that, or just got confused(he sounded a bit nervous for whatever reason)...

If you hit 200rds on an LCT, you are really moving. 250 to me seems almost completely impossible, let alone 500. He might be getting a little faster, because he is priming off of the press, but even then where he only has to seat a shell and a bullet, I can't see 500 an hour, and I guarantee you it would not be easy.

IGF
I have to agree. I don't like to hurry and load at a comfortable pace. If I sit down for one hour I load close to 200 rounds. If I sit down for three hours I am around 500 rounds. I'm not buying 500 per hour.
Old 01-10-2010, 13:27   #16
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

When I get into the swing of things, I can load at the rate of four rounds a minute without much trouble which is a 240 round an hour rate. Frankly, I've never loaded more than more than I intend to shoot and usually load 100 rounds. I'm done with that in slightly less than a half hour so I figure I must be keeping close to that rate.

You develop a system and mine is that after I prime, I operate the press with my right hand while I grab a bullet and by the time time I have it ready, it's already charged and flared. While the bullet is seating, I grab a case while it goes through the factory crimp die and when it's done, I simply swap cases and put the finsihed one in the bucket while sizing the new one. I tend to try and combine efforts as much as possible so four rounds a minute isn't a push for me.

My LM is set for 45 only and I'm done with a box of those in under 5 minutes and that is with me feeding the cases.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 14:47   #17
Warhorse

I load a hundred rounds of pistol ammo in about 45 minutes on my LCT, then I go upstairs and take a break, I keep this up till I've loaded 500 rounds, then call it quits for that day.
Sig Sauer Club #814
Rimfire Club #814
J Frame Snubbie Club #814
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:16   #18
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Indy, what the hell is your avatar wearing now?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 21:06   #19
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Indy, what the hell is your avatar wearing now?

Jack

Well Jack, in case you didn't know, a Penguin(as all of my avatars are), is a mascot for Linux, a geek operating system for PC's. That particular one happens to be a Penguin masked as a Memory DIMM. Most versions of Linux have much lower RAM requirements than Windows, thus the "Low on Ram" comment

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 01-10-2010 at 21:09..
Old 01-10-2010, 21:16   #20
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:

Well Jack, in case you didn't know, a Penguin(as all of my avatars are), is a mascot for Linux, a geek operating system for PC's. That particular one happens to be a Penguin masked as a Memory DIMM. Most versions of Linux have much lower RAM requirements than Windows, thus the "Low on Ram" comment

IGF

I thought Linux was a Charlie Brown character... the one with the blanket. Now I'm really confused... where's my scotch, I might as well have a good reason for not knowing what's going on.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote