Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 20:48   #1
dp509
Senior Member
 
dp509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 914
What is out there.....

Hi, looking to liquidate some guns and purchase a 1911 for a duty gun.

Requirements:

Govt Model 5".
Night Sights
Ambi Safety
Front Strap Checkering
Any other good suggestions
Magwell, maybe

Note: I am a lefty

I will not have the money for a Wilson or a Les Baer after selling what I am going to sell.
dp509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:54   #2
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 93,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp509 View Post
Hi, looking to liquidate some guns and purchase a 1911 for a duty gun.

Requirements:

Govt Model 5".
Night Sights
Ambi Safety
Front Strap Checkering
Any other good suggestions
Magwell, maybe

Note: I am a lefty

I will not have the money for a Wilson or a Les Baer after selling what I am going to sell.
Springfield TRP


1911 Forums

1911 Forums
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:57   #3
Quack
Rent this space
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,684
+1 on the TRP
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:09   #4
dp509
Senior Member
 
dp509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 914
I have been thinking about either the TRP or a Kimber Tactial Custom II, aluminum frame.

I do not see any thing else out there..............Suggestions

Which one would you get?

What is a good price for each and specifically where ?

Thanks
dp509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:15   #5
Quack
Rent this space
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp509 View Post
I have been thinking about either the TRP or a Kimber Tactial Custom II, aluminum frame.

I do not see any thing else out there..............Suggestions

Which one would you get?

What is a good price for each and specifically where ?

Thanks
TRP.

new or pre-owned?

if you look around you could find a nice Bear. for a little more than a new TRP.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:25   #6
BubbaShoots
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 147
My TRP has been absolutely perfect for 2500 rounds...Not one failure of any kind and very accurate.
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:28   #7
Quack
Rent this space
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,684
question for the OP...are MIM parts a concern for you?
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:45   #8
dp509
Senior Member
 
dp509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 914
I know that Kimber has MIM, but does Springfield?

Does Springfield have a lock?

I found a new Kimber Tactial Custom II for $1,040 shipped.

I do not know what the TRP goes for?

There is a gun show this weekend in Birmingham, Al.

I plan to go and see if I can trade for one of the two.

Would really like to be able to handle both at the same time and then decide.

Any other options
dp509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:54   #9
Durangler
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10
What about a DW Valor. It doesn't have the ambi safety but you could add one and have a really nice 1911.
Durangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 22:05   #10
Quack
Rent this space
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp509 View Post
I know that Kimber has MIM, but does Springfield?

Does Springfield have a lock?

I found a new Kimber Tactial Custom II for $1,040 shipped.

I do not know what the TRP goes for?

There is a gun show this weekend in Birmingham, Al.

I plan to go and see if I can trade for one of the two.

Would really like to be able to handle both at the same time and then decide.

Any other options
yes, the TRP has MIM.
IIRC, Hammer, sear, disconnector, slide stop, thumb safety, magazine release, firing pin stop, MSH, plunger tube, grip safety and i think extractor, ejector.

the TRP has a ILS lock in the MSH (easily changed)
the Kimber has the additional Swartz (series 80) firing pin block

TRP's are about $1400 (Les Baer concept II ~$1690)

STI Lawman is another option (close to what you want need night sights & ambi)
http://shootersconnectionstore.com/S...tock-P988.aspx

Last edited by Quack; 01-07-2010 at 22:11..
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 22:11   #11
HAIL CAESAR
Senior Member
 
HAIL CAESAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my shop
Posts: 5,241
STI Law
Springer Loaded ( Not checkered)
Springer TRP
Kimber TLE

Springer Loaded is the cheapest at around the high 800's. They all have MIM. I wouldn't worry about the Springfield MIM. The Springfield loaded will have the Lawyer Lock main spring housing. That is a easy do it yourself 25 dollar fix, I'd spend $50 and get a Smith and Alexander magwell main spring housing.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 14:43   #12
Brian Brazier
Senior Member
 
Brian Brazier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 767
DW Valor, that is my dream 1911 right now
__________________
"No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true." Nathaniel Hawthorne
Brian Brazier is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:18.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 986
280 Members
706 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31